Spend More Money to do Better

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snipza

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDN'ers,

I would like some insight into what you all think about spending more money to do better in your pre-req/post-bacc classes.

My situation is this:

If I get into my post-bacc, I will have the opportunity to really lay it down on the loans since I am considered an independent student. This could go a long way towards financing my living expenses, allowing me to work less and study more. With my current applicant profile (cGPA: 2.96 sGPA: N/A - wasn't a science major), getting the highest GPA in my post-bacc classes as possible is paramount.

In your opinion, and I know this depends a lot on my academic abilities, do you think funding your living expenses so heavily in order to create a more school-focused environment is worth the extra debt? Do you think someone in my situation, where everything I do from here on out will be scrutinized with a fine tooth come, should give in to more debt to devote more time to preparation?

I planned to choose a loan amount that would cover only my school expenses (tuition, fees, books, etc) and provide me with an emergency fund (around $3k). Everything else (rent, fun, etc.) will have to be out of pocket. What ya'll think?

Members don't see this ad.

Dentists are not doctors, therefore you're wasting your money on a fake degree. Have a good day, sir.

I feel honored that your first post was for me. :)

I hope to have many more opportunities to laugh at your stupidity.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just stating facts buddy. Sorry I offended you.

Awkward moment when DDS stands for doctor of dental surgery......cough cough cough

Awkward moment when DDS stands for doctor of dental surgery......cough cough cough

DDS is not respected as a real doctor in the medical community. Being a DDS is like being the smartest kid with downs syndrome.

DDS is not respected as a real doctor in the medical community. Being a DDS is like being the smartest kid with downs syndrome.

lol what is wrong with u? please get a life and get off sdn or at least off sdn pre dental.

so are you accepted in any MD program yet?
or you probably are applying to pharmacy school right now since your stats is low and you are bitter about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Dentists are not doctors, therefore you're wasting your money on a fake degree. Have a good day, sir.

doctors here are referred as in completion of a doctoral program. as PhDs can be referred to as doctors due to their master of a super specialized field. Optometry or pharmacy are also referred to as doctors due to their master of "obviously" optometry and pharmacy.

Medical doctor is referred to as doctor due to their master of "obviously" medicine.

lolz this guy probably has sub 3.0 GPA and sub 18 DAT so does not want competition.
Go inbox me, I will give you 2 cookies to eat and comfort you.

SDN'ers,

I would like some insight into what you all think about spending more money to do better in your pre-req/post-bacc classes.

My situation is this:

If I get into my post-bacc, I will have the opportunity to really lay it down on the loans since I am considered an independent student. This could go a long way towards financing my living expenses, allowing me to work less and study more. With my current applicant profile (cGPA: 2.96 sGPA: N/A - wasn't a science major), getting the highest GPA in my post-bacc classes as possible is paramount.

In your opinion, and I know this depends a lot on my academic abilities, do you think funding your living expenses so heavily in order to create a more school-focused environment is worth the extra debt? Do you think someone in my situation, where everything I do from here on out will be scrutinized with a fine tooth come, should give in to more debt to devote more time to preparation?

I planned to choose a loan amount that would cover only my school expenses (tuition, fees, books, etc) and provide me with an emergency fund (around $3k). Everything else (rent, fun, etc.) will have to be out of pocket. What ya'll think?

Your sGPA does matter, even if you were not a science major because of the requirements to get in to dental school. If you need to take a small loan so you can bump your GPA and get into dental school, I don't see a problem with that. However, to pull up a 2.96 and whatever science GPA AND ace the DAT is going to be very difficult.

I would take out more loans for COL if I were you. 1st, you haven't taken science classes, so you have no clue if you will struggle or succeed with them; science classes are A LOT different from biz/English/etc. Next, these classes will be pretty much what the adcoms will look at when reviewing your app....make it easy for them and get A's. You already have a low GPA so a strong sGPA and BCP gpa will show you have what it takes to do well. Even if you get A's from here on out, it will be hard to raise the oGPA since you have already graduated and probably have 120+ credits. Lastly, if you do bad in these classes and pull another 3.o GPA your only option will be to get a HIGH DAT.....which is EXTREMELY hard; don't take the common postings of a 21+AA lightly, its hard to get those scores. In the end, if you don't do well in this Post Bacc then you might be back at square one with a degree that you probably won't use with debt. Just my $0.02 but I'd want to be assured that I have only 1 job during this time.....to ace these courses.

doctors here are referred as in completion of a doctoral program. as PhDs can be referred to as doctors due to their master of a super specialized field. Optometry or pharmacy are also referred to as doctors due to their master of "obviously" optometry and pharmacy.

Medical doctor is referred to as doctor due to their master of "obviously" medicine.

lolz this guy probably has sub 3.0 GPA and sub 18 DAT so does not want competition.
Go inbox me, I will give you 2 cookies to eat and comfort you.

You sound bitter like every other person I've met in dentistry. You type out some random drivel on the definition of a PHD and think you should be a respected doctor. Wrong. You are nothing but a peasant, and are beneath me. It's not my fault you do not have the intellectual capacity to be a real doctor. Have a good day, sir.

You sound bitter like every other person I've met in dentistry. You type out some random drivel on the definition of a PHD and think you should be a respected doctor. Wrong. You are nothing but a peasant, and are beneath me. It's not my fault you do not have the intellectual capacity to be a real doctor. Have a good day, sir.

lolz i think you miss your pills big time :)

I don't make a distinction between the two. A doctor can heal you, but can't do your root canal. A dentist can't diagnose your entire body, but will make sure your oral health is good, which is strongly linked to your overall health.

This guy is obviously a bafoon. Let's not participate in his stupidity. Plus, while we're enjoying our 10+ year marriages he'll be regretting his 10th wife. (slaps knee).

You are going to need to get like 4.0 on post bac/pre-req due your very low gpa. So, if you want to get in dental school, do whatever you need to do to turn your studying habits around and get straight As.

@I want to go to there - THANK YOU FOR THE ONLY CONSTRUCTIVE RESPONSE ON THIS THREAD. LMFAO!

To reply to your comment:

Thanks. I realize that I will definitely need to be 3.6+ during my post-bac. The delta in cumulative GPA between a 3.6 post-bacc GPA and a 4.0 post-bacc GPA is actually really freaking tiny. So, my focus is to attain an impressive sGPA as well as a good DAT score. My last 5 quarters in university (the whole time since transferring from my CC) I've maintained all A's and B+'s. Thanks for the constructive response!

My 2 cents...

Its all about your commitment, Ive found this isnt something you can partially do or ease into. I'm also non-traditional and have taken quite the path to get where I am. I say do whatever it takes to make the absolute best grades you can, if that means your not going out on weekends, taking on some debt, working your tail off and having some discomfort being tired, SO BE IT. This way, it doesnt matter. If you get in to Dental School, all your hard work has paid off and you it will be the sweetest reward. If not, only you will know if you truly gave it 100%. If you give it 100% and fail then you have learned a valuable lesson and are one very few people that can truly say they gave their 100% effort towards something. However, I feel if you truly dedicate yourself, you will do great things and go on to be a terrific and successful dentist. Best of luck to you. As the saying goes, "the harder I work the luckier I get".

Reactions: 1 user
It is so worth the money to go back and do a post-bacc or a masters program to get your GPA up and prove to yourself and all the schools you apply to that you can handle a rigorous science load. I did a Masters of Science and it was the best thing I ever did for myself, I invested in myself and it paid off when I got in this cycle. Do what you have to do in order to get as many A's as possible. Good luck, and it does pay off but you must do well in the program!

If dentistry is what you want do the post bacc. Ace that post bacc then get into dental school then come back to this thread and rub it in Varaax's face.