Spherical vs. Parabolic Lens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G1SG2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so when we do problems in optics, we assume a parabolic surface, because we are working with spherical surfaces, right? Or do I have it the other way around? What's the difference between the two, and how does that affect the properties/function of the lens/mirrors? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll only need to know properties of spherical lenses for the MCAT. I've never worked a problem that involved a parabolic lens. All the thin lenses that you analyze have spherical surfaces - their curvatures have radii which determine the focal point.

A parabolic surface would make the lens a lot more complicated. You probably wouldn't be able to use the same thin lens equations because the lens surface is no longer spherical and doesn't have a fixed radius of curvature.

If you want to visually compare the two surfaces, compare the y = x^2 graph to a semicircle and you'll see the difference.

would i be correct in saying that we're using spherical surfaces because they're easier to compute with, but in reality a parabolic surface is more ideal b/c it reduces spherical abberation?