Spinoff on NYC housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BioMedResearch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We've all heard on CNN/NYT/WSJ, about the library squater. I think it is more than understandable to me why this kid could not afford his housing at NYU. Rumor has it that undergrads pay between $850 and $1250 for their "on-campus" housing. But incase you need proof of how expensive NYC really is, here you go:

" In New York City, a minimum wage earner would have to work 154 hours every week to afford a two-bedroom unit at fair market rent. New York is the fifth least affordable state in the nation for housing.* "

The cost of housing by geographic area would be distributed with least expensive to most expensive as:

Downstate = Least expensive
Columbia
MSSM
Cornell
NYU = Most expensive

This means that without subsidized housing for medical school, residency, and fellowship, we are severely SCREWED! :scared:

*Testimony of Public Advocate Betsy Gotbaum
New York City Council, Housing Committee
http://www.pubadvocate.nyc.gov/

Members don't see this ad.

As a NYCer, the high prices of living in NYC are somewhat over-pressed (is that a word?), sure if you want something similar to a suburbian place, you'll pay a pretty penny. But it is easy to find affordable housing, you just need to know how to go about it. It'sa matter of finding the balance of price/location/size/amenities.

b

missbonnie said:
" sure if you want something similar to a suburbian place, you'll pay a pretty penny."

Look, if you go to CraigsList.org you will find places for $700/$800 but those will be shares in not so desireable places. If you want to live near to where you'll be going to school you'll definitely be paying a premium. I challenge you to find a private apartment around Cornell or NYU for under $1250/mo. As one who's lived in NY for a number of years on and off, I know that if you want to live alone you're living in a shoebox. And this is not even to mention the cost of a building with a doorman or decent ammenities.

NY's housing market, and for that matter, cost of living, is OUT of control and it's growth has surpased that of the economy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes the NY housing market is expensive. But, as with everything in our capitalist economy, you get what you pay for. New York is a great place to live, and the rent there is no different than that in San Francisco, Boston, DC, etc. Stop whining and enjoy the fact that you will be living in NY.

Also, my friends who live in NYC don't pay a car payment or car insurance or parking at the hospital (sure, they pay for public transport, but it is a lot less.) Living in NYC is expensive, but it hardly should be considered a surprise.

Near NYU, yes, my friends just found 2 private apt. (extended studio) for less than $1250 - actually 1 and 3 blocks away (walkups). I agree with the previous post, You gotta know how to look! There's also luck involved. Let all your friends in NYC know that you're looking for an apt. Your friends may know someone who knows someone who's moving out. I agree, you have to really look to get a good price, but it takes one to know what they're doing. Don't go through an agency if you want to save $. Another tip, once you get a price, grab it on that day or else it will be gone. That's what makes looking for an apt. in NYC a tough task. You end up settling for something more expensive and regretting that first apt you looked at and gave up.
Near Cornell, you get more space for your $. UES prices are going down (anyone notice that? esp. high 70s) - not for doormen, walkups only.

That NYU kid did nothing new. He was just copying engineers and premeds :laugh:

Monthly parking is cheaper so you can always sleep in your car :idea: