spleen q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MudPhud20XX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am still not getting why you get splenomegaly in hereditary spherocytosis and the opposite (splenic atrophy) in sickle cell anemia. Can anyone explain why you get the opposite effect on spleen in these two dz?

Members don't see this ad.

sickle cells basically has a problem with the shape of RBC, which gets stuck in blood vessels and in the spleen? As a result scarring the spleen which leads to atrophy of the spleen I guess?

In hereditary spherocytosis, you have a defective RBC which is removed by the spleen, but I don't see why that would necessarily enlarge the spleen. I guess some immune reactions are going on that there is some sort of inflammatory rxn going on that leads to splenomegaly?

sickle cells basically has a problem with the shape of RBC, which gets stuck in blood vessels and in the spleen? As a result scarring the spleen which leads to atrophy of the spleen I guess?

In hereditary spherocytosis, you have a defective RBC which is removed by the spleen, but I don't see why that would necessarily enlarge the spleen. I guess some immune reactions are going on that there is some sort of inflammatory rxn going on that leads to splenomegaly?

yeah, you are right about the sickle cell. But in HS its not really an inflammatory reaction in the spleen. Its splenic sequestration. The RBCS easily lyse, which can be tested by a fragility test. Spleen has two parts, white pulp and red pulp. White = immune reaction. Red pulp which acts as a blood filter, thats what enlarges in HS so its not really an immune reaction. And remember that the red pulp has the cords of bilroth which is kind of like the bodies own fragility test.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, you are right about the sickle cell. But in HS its not really an inflammatory reaction in the spleen. Its splenic sequestration. The RBCS easily lyse, which can be tested by a fragility test. Spleen has two parts, white pulp and red pulp. White = immune reaction. Red pulp which acts as a blood filter, thats what enlarges in HS so its not really an immune reaction. And remember that the red pulp has the cords of bilroth which is kind of like the bodies own fragility test.
Ah! so in HS, it's like the RBCs gets clogged up in the red pulp (filter) which leads to a big spleen. thanks so much for the explanation!

Reactions: 1 user
You should also know mechanistically what the spleen "filter" does. The cords of Bilroth in the spleen are basically narrow channels that mimic capillary networks in the periphery. The point is to test where the RBCs have the membrane flexibility needed to transit the capillary networks without getting stuck. Those that are not flexible enough will either have bulges sticking out (think about squeezing a fat man into a small pair of jeans) or be completely blocked. The parts that stick out will then be engulfed by macrophages (to generate bite cells) or the whole cell will be engulfed (leading to hemolysis, as in HS). Both sickle cell and HS can be explained using this model:

1) In sickle cell, the sickled RBCs in the periphery would not be flexible enough and thus would become stuck at branch points or within the capillaries themselves and block perfusion. The result would be pain crises and autoamputation in severe cases which you see in sickle cell patients. Because the spleen is designed to mimic this as a "filter" test, the same thing happens where sickle cells become stuck in the spleen and cut off circulation. Because the spleen filters a lot of blood, this will happen on a chronic basis and the decrease in splenic perfusion would then lead to atrophy.

2) In HS, the RBCs gradually lose plasma membrane (because the cytoskeletal anchoring system is defective) until they take on a spherical shape. This means they no longer have the extra membrane needed to be flexible enough to pass through the capillaries. Again, the spleen mimics this so the spherocytes become stuck in the spleen. However, because spherocytosis is a genetic condition that affects all RBCS at all times (unlike sickle cells which sickles usually only in low O2 conditions), there will be a lot more RBCs affected at any one time and they all accumulate in the spleen, leading to an enlarged spleen.

Reactions: 2 users
You should also know mechanistically what the spleen "filter" does. The cords of Bilroth in the spleen are basically narrow channels that mimic capillary networks in the periphery. The point is to test where the RBCs have the membrane flexibility needed to transit the capillary networks without getting stuck. Those that are not flexible enough will either have bulges sticking out (think about squeezing a fat man into a small pair of jeans) or be completely blocked. The parts that stick out will then be engulfed by macrophages (to generate bite cells) or the whole cell will be engulfed (leading to hemolysis, as in HS). Both sickle cell and HS can be explained using this model:

1) In sickle cell, the sickled RBCs in the periphery would not be flexible enough and thus would become stuck at branch points or within the capillaries themselves and block perfusion. The result would be pain crises and autoamputation in severe cases which you see in sickle cell patients. Because the spleen is designed to mimic this as a "filter" test, the same thing happens where sickle cells become stuck in the spleen and cut off circulation. Because the spleen filters a lot of blood, this will happen on a chronic basis and the decrease in splenic perfusion would then lead to atrophy.

2) In HS, the RBCs gradually lose plasma membrane (because the cytoskeletal anchoring system is defective) until they take on a spherical shape. This means they no longer have the extra membrane needed to be flexible enough to pass through the capillaries. Again, the spleen mimics this so the spherocytes become stuck in the spleen. However, because spherocytosis is a genetic condition that affects all RBCS at all times (unlike sickle cells which sickles usually only in low O2 conditions), there will be a lot more RBCs affected at any one time and they all accumulate in the spleen, leading to an enlarged spleen.

WTF DUDE??? you trying to show me up???? you want to have a stand off right now??

WTF DUDE??? you trying to show me up???? you want to have a stand off right now??

h27BA06B1