spleen rupture?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

automan

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the name of the condition where you can have spontaneous splenic rupture that goljan talks about.

He mentions this many times, that you can't play contact sports, etc....

Members don't see this ad.

I think someone who has infectious mononucleosis due to EBV is at risk for splenic rupture with little or no injury to the area.

I think someone who has infectious mononucleosis due to EBV is at risk for splenic rupture with little or no injury to the area.

Agree. The spleen is engorged making it more vulnerable to injury with less force.

what is the name of the condition where you can have spontaneous splenic rupture that goljan talks about.

He mentions this many times, that you can't play contact sports, etc....
Ehlers-Danlos syndrome type IV is noted for spontaneous splenic, hepatic and vascular ruptures, as well as spontaneous perforations of the bowel.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ehlers-Danlos syndrome type IV is noted for spontaneous splenic, hepatic and vascular ruptures, as well as spontaneous perforations of the bowel.

Zebra.

"Splenic rupture is usually precipitated by a crushing injury or severe blow. Much less often, it occurs in the apparent absence of trauma. Such "spontaneous ruptures" never occur in truly normal spleens, but rather stem from some minor physical insult to a spleen that has been rendered fragile by an underlying condition. The most common predisposing conditions are infectious mononucleosis, malaria, typhoid fever, and lymphoid neoplasms. "

Zebra.

"Splenic rupture is usually precipitated by a crushing injury or severe blow. Much less often, it occurs in the apparent absence of trauma. Such "spontaneous ruptures" never occur in truly normal spleens, but rather stem from some minor physical insult to a spleen that has been rendered fragile by an underlying condition. The most common predisposing conditions are infectious mononucleosis, malaria, typhoid fever, and lymphoid neoplasms. "
I wasn't saying EDS IV was the answer, I was just pointing out a possibility since it is a condition that is well documented to have spontaneous ruptures with no antecedent symptoms in patients. And not to pick an argument, but I would imagine that there are more cases of EDS IV in the US than typhoid or malaria.

I wasn't saying EDS IV was the answer, I was just pointing out a possibility since it is a condition that is well documented to have spontaneous ruptures with no antecedent symptoms in patients. And not to pick an argument, but I would imagine that there are more cases of EDS IV in the US than typhoid or malaria.

And I was teasing you for pointing out an uncommon etiology of an uncommon event. Hence the zebra.

And, FYI, I am quite aware of the relative frequencies of EDS (and all its subtypes) vs typhoid and malaria in the US. But, I wasn't aware that the discussion was limited to spontaneous slpenic rupture in the US. The info I posted is from Robbins, so your suggestion regarding the above mentioned frequencies might best be served to the authors/editors of that text.