Split Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldManDave

Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a concern that has recently developed. I have thoroughly read all of the DO school info I can find. I felt like I was well informed as to the structure of years 1&2 as well as 3&4. Now that I have been to a DO interview, it appears as though virtually all the DO schools are essentially 'split-programs.'

I realize the lacking of slots in places like Kirksville necessitate a significant portion of the class do their clerkships in other geographic locales. However, I had no idea this was also true in the DO schools in larger cities, i.e: Kansas City, where only 50% of the class can stay in KC.

The way the brochures and pamphlets, in my opinion, read is that travel for years 3&4 are more of an option, not a matter of routine. Plus, this seems remarkably incongruent for programs that so heavily enroll non-traditional students. It also creates a bit of a controversy in the context of my wife's career. She nobly has stated she will postpone her own aspirations in the interests of my becoming a physician ...but moving about every two years would appear to escalate the already lofty demands of a medical education.

Please give me your feedback...

------------------
'Old Man Dave'

Members don't see this ad.

I too can empathize with your feelings. I will be attending the Univ. of New England in the fall. The problem that you mention was a big concern for me as I am married with three children.

From what I understand UNE has virtually NO locations in Maine for 3rd and 4th clinical clerkships. I was concerned that I would be required to move every three to six months with different rotations. I asked specifically about this in my interview. I was told that most people with families choose one location in which to do all of their 3rd and 4th year clerkships.

My current situation is that I live in Vermont. I have decided to live in Maine during the week and commute home on weekends for at least the first year. At the end of that time we will reassess my situation. My husband is a computer programmer with a good job here in Vermont. We had considered having him move along with the whole family and we may still do this. In light of the fact that we would have to move again at the beginning of my 3rd year, however, we may put off moving the whole family until then. I agree it is a tough situation. I was unaware that schools like Kirksville had this problem as well.

What are some of the places they send people? From what I understand UNE has places in New York, PA and Ohio.

Good luck to you in making your decision.

Renee

The 3rd and 4th year in NOVA is slightly better. We can say in Floridea unless we apply for the New jersy track or the Georgia tract.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dave,

I get the impression that the 3rd and 4th years at COMP are also "split". Our primary teaching hospital is San Bernadino County Med Center/Arrowhead Regional Med Center, a 350 to 400 bed teaching hospital affilated with COMP, UC Irvine, and Loma Linda Medical. We do most of our "core" clerkships there, but I heard many COMP students still get farmed out to Arizona. There we join KCOM and some other DO schools for clerkships. During our interview day we talked to the clerkship person, and he says they plan to keep COMP people in the Southern Cal area, probably by the time I reach my 3rd year. Each MD/DO school has "elective" rotations where you can go anywhere you want. I hear that some COMP people go as far out as Mayo or Cleveland Clinic for some of their electives. That's just what I've heard about my school.....

EDGAR

Renee,

I was just at the une web page and found about ten hospitals in ME. They're listed under other core affiliates and they're located from Biddeford to Bangor. I'm not sure if these are rotations that you could stay at for both years or not. Also, I grew up in between Utica and Cooperstown and can answer any questions about those areas. If you like VT you'll really like Cooperstown(very Norman Rockwell, on a lake, with a great hospital, pop.under 5,000, historical, etc.) Feel free to e-mail me or post here if there's anything I can help you with. I was accepted to UNE, but am still waiting on others before I make a final commitment. Either way I've spent quite a bit of time in ME, you'll love it.
take care,
will

From what I understand, it is common practice to move around for your clinical rotations. The reason that they make it sound like travel is more of an option than a routine is that many students *will* opt to go out of state, thus allowing the students to stay who would like to. However, this is not always the case unfortunately. Just for your information, a student from UHS called me to chat a couple of weeks ago and she said the school is attempting to get a handful of new slots in KC in order to accommodate those that want to stay in the area (such as family people). Right now there are something like 50 slots and 80 students who would like to stay, but that may be rectified by the time we're moving into our 3rd year. But then again, what do I know right now. This is all heresay. But I'll give you one more tidbit that I've heard. Supposedly it's only the core rotations in your clinical years that can be a problem. After that you can pretty much be wherever you want for the electives.

As a matter of fact, Mr Dalzell announced during his interview day presentation that UHS had aquired enough positions to allow as much as half of the students to stay in KC. However, this would not go into effect until the current first year students reached their third year.

Does anyone know if you are restricted to certain regions for your clerkships by the school you attend for your M1 & M2 years?

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
Senior, Neurosciences
Univ of Texas at Dallas
Class of 1999

Dave,

From what I understand from the COMP catalog, DO students at the school must do 50% of their clerkships/selectives at DO/AOA/COMP affiliated hospitals. We are not restricted by geographic region, just by osteopathic affiliation. The rest of the clerkships/selectives can be at any hospital in the United States. Since I will be going to COMP, I plan to spend the majority of my time in the LA area but would be willing to do some rotations in Arizona.

EDGAR

Renee,

My wife and I visited the UNE-COM campus during the summer of '97. It is absolutely GORGEOUS!! We both love northern NE; but Maine is something very special. We loved it so much, we bought into a time-share in Kennebunkport.

This year we spent a week, the one before Christmas, in Lenox, MA and drove all over upstate NY and southern VT...it is paradise. Whatever you do, take advantage of the Norman Rockwell museum in Stockbridge, MA.

Maybe one day we'll be fortunate enough to live in New England too!!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
Senior, Neurosciences
Univ of Texas at Dallas
Class of 1999