(SPOILER) AAMC FL 3 Q 11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed7195

Reaction score
Assume that a certain species with sex chromosomes R and S exists such that RR individuals develop as males and RS individuals develop as females. Which of the following mechanisms would most likely compensate for the potential imbalance of sex-chromosome gene products between males and females of this species?

• A.
    Inactivation of one R chromosome in males
  • B.
    Doubling transcription from the S chromosome in females
  • C.
    Inactivation of the R chromosome in females
  • D.
    Doubling transcription from the R chromosomes in males
Could someone please explain why is the answer not B? My logic behind choosing B was that since S is in lesser quantity, doubling its expression would match the R expression. I have read about X inactivation in humans but how does that relate to this question?

Members don't see this ad.

It's simple mathematics. We know males have two R chrosomes, while females have only one R chromosome. Choice A - males will produce the same amout of transcriptomes from R chromosome as females who have only one R chromosome. Choice B - Females will produce more transcriptomes from S chromosome, which males don't even have. Choice C - Females will not produce any transcriptome from R chromosome. Choice D - males will produce four times the amount of transcriptomes females produce from a single R chromosome. I hope you see my point.

Another option I was expecting to see was the inactivation of the S chromosome in females, but that would be too hard to guess without more information.