**spoilers** AAMC 10 H. pylori passage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nvk89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the AAMC 10 BS section, did anyone pick their answers to questions 123 and 127 on the basis that infecting healthy individuals with H. pylori to see if they would develop stomach ulcers was f-ed up?

I first picked the answer choices that would have shown more definitive examples, but I re-thought it and realized that this would be unacceptable in the real world...

Honestly, I have learned my lesson, and on the real thing, I will pick the one that infects my human subjects, even if it gives them cancer. But seriously, how possible is it that something like this shows up on the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

For the AAMC 10 BS section, did anyone pick their answers to questions 123 and 127 on the basis that infecting healthy individuals with H. pylori to see if they would develop stomach ulcers was f-ed up?

I first picked the answer choices that would have shown more definitive examples, but I re-thought it and realized that this would be unacceptable in the real world...

Honestly, I have learned my lesson, and on the real thing, I will pick the one that infects my human subjects, even if it gives them cancer. But seriously, how possible is it that something like this shows up on the MCAT?

HA! I took this practice test months ago and remember this question to. I had the same logic as you that it would be messed up to do that to humans, it was just a weird question in general.

interestingly that's what the guy who discovered H pylori did to himself to prove it.

:laugh: haha, yeah.

I got this question wrong because I thought it was unethical. but then again, it's how the guy demonstrated that this is what H pylori does. Dirty, dirty question.

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: haha, yeah.

I got this question wrong because I thought it was unethical. but then again, it's how the guy demonstrated that this is what H pylori does. Dirty, dirty question.

The small sample size of 1 person might flaw his data...but at least it shows a unique dedication to the pursuit of knowledge

I remember this as well....not cool. Some of those AAMC q's are not very reasonable. Remember its a practice/mock MCAT, not the real thing.

i guess b/c it's asking what would give the best evidence in theory, not having to actually infect people....

passage 7 in PS tripped me up a bit. #42 says a neutron would produce negligible ionization b/c it's uncharged, yet #47 then asks which particle would produce the most ionization and the answer is a helium atom - also an uncharged particle.

sure it's capable of achieving a +2 ionization... but whos to assume it would be?

I just had to read the Barry Marshall lecture the other day for physiology class; pretty interesting stuff.

Sucks that the question is like that though.

i guess b/c it's asking what would give the best evidence in theory, not having to actually infect people....

passage 7 in PS tripped me up a bit. #42 says a neutron would produce negligible ionization b/c it's uncharged, yet #47 then asks which particle would produce the most ionization and the answer is a helium atom - also an uncharged particle.

sure it's capable of achieving a +2 ionization... but whos to assume it would be?

careful - I messed up on this before - an alpha particle not a helium atom, but a helium *nucleus*, meaning no electrons so it's He+2 automatically. I realize this is really late and therefore probably not very helpful, but I was tripped up on the totally unethical stomach ulcers question and my search led me here.

Oh well, now I know - at least that question popped up first on a practice instead of the real thing...