spoken English mistakes found after taking step 2 CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackie1989

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I’m a non US IMG. I took CS on Jan 6th of 2020 and have been panic about it for the past 6 weeks until now. Just want to ask you guys if you had some similar mistakes as I did. My biggest fear which makes me panic and extremely nervous is the SEP part as I’m not native in English and just found out many IMGs couldn’t pass CS due to SEP during the latest score report schedule on Jan 29 2020. Everyday I found out 1 new pronunciation mistake in the case I thought I did good!
1/I mispronounced the diagnosis in my last case during the closure. And then when I explained the disease, the SP looked a little bit surprised.
2/I made 1 patient misunderstand 1 question. After the SP answered my question, I found out something weird and confirmed the answer, at this time he just realized he misunderstood my question and corrected his answer from “No” to “yes”.
3/the biggest fear is that another patient got mad and responded “I don’t understand your question” to 1 opened question which is exactly written in FA. I didn’t make up the question. Then when I changed into the closed question like “did you...?”, she answered No and then kept blaming me about my first question. She said something like “why you asked me that question?”
In other cases, No sp asked me to repeat the question. But I also found out 1 small pronunciation mistake.
I don’t know if you guys had the similar mistakes as I did. I have been extremely nervous and been tolerating the PTSD mixed with MDD after this test during the past 6 weeks.Please share your experience! thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, a non-US-IMG here!
I feel that I failed because of sep and ice. In two of my encounters, I did not understand what SPs said as challenging questions and I asked them to repeat but still, I did not catch. I kept acting that I got it and said yes or no and then reassured about the workup plan. I am totally frustrated about my experience. I studied for 3 months on first aid and some notes. I did online skype and an intensive course in Atlanta. If I fail I will never go over this exam because it was embarrassing for me. I know that needs time for improving English and breaking my thick accent, however, I really shamed about my performance. In my mock exam, SPs commented about my English to be improved but half of them assured me to go over the exam. If I pass you guys can hear my screams !!! I am posting here to be back here later than April 29th!!

Reactions: 1 user
And I passed! When I speak friends who failed from sep, I recognize that the important thing is that speaking slowly..
When rapidly speech and accent combines that becomes a problem for sp s to understand.