Sporting Events and Social Life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shawshank613

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For med schools that are part of universities with major athletic programs (like Stanford and Northwestern for football or Duke and UNC for basketball), is it usual for medical students to go to those events? Tailgating and football games every weekend or two takes up a lot of time but having had so much fun with that in undergrad, I definitely want to keep doing it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes. You absolutely have time for a life in med school. Maybe not if you have an exam following the weekend or something, but you would be able to afford time to go to these things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup. I have season tickets for football and will be going to some college hockey and basketball games too....

Then there's also NBA and NHL games with student night discounts :)

That makes this whole process more worth it. I love those things.
I went to a LOT of games during my UG, I'd hate to miss out on it in med school.
(Even though my UG and their med school are in two different locations..)

Maybe. Our defense has been sucking the big one lately, I don't know how we keep winning :boom:

Because it's Ohio State, :laugh:
I feel like teams psych themselves out against them.

I attended the PSU vs Mich game fully expecting a blow out, 'twas not so.
We'll see next week though, won't we. :smuggrin:

Because it's Ohio State, :laugh:
I feel like teams psych themselves out against them.

I attended the PSU vs Mich game fully expecting a blow out, 'twas not so.
We'll see next week though, won't we. :smuggrin:

Aw yeah, night game. Probably my only justification for going seeing as we have an exam the following week. :scared:

Maybe. Our defense has been sucking the big one lately, I don't know how we keep winning :boom:

Rofl. I'm not sure there were defenders on the field yesterday for the Michigan Indiana game.

USC actually hosts football tailgates on campus exclusively for the med school with food and a bar and they usually have a pretty good location. They've kicked me out multiple times trying to visit friends.

If your med school's undergrad doesn't have much of a football presence, you can also go to NFL games in medical school. The Saints are within walking distance of both New Orleans medical schools, for instance.

A Sunday game is a great way to blow off steam before a Monday exam. There's more to life than studying.

Out of all the medical schools you listed Standford and NW as examples of big time football schools... Very well..

Yes you have time. I know plenty of dental, vet, and medical students who tailgate at my UG.

USC actually hosts football tailgates on campus exclusively for the med school with food and a bar and they usually have a pretty good location. They've kicked me out multiple times trying to visit friends.

:thumbup:

For med schools that are part of universities with major athletic programs (like Stanford for football or Duke and UNC for basketball), is it usual for medical students to go to those events? Tailgating and football games every weekend or two takes up a lot of time but having had so much fun with that in undergrad, I definitely want to keep doing it.

ftfy

Edit: I should learn to read the whole thread first, lol