Sports and Medicine - do they mix??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qb1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any opinions on playing a sport in college, and how the admissions committee will view this? I personally feel it shows the committee that you are able to handle many things at a time, ie: school, work, sports...which I think they are looking for in a competitive applicant. Any thoughts?????

Members don't see this ad.

Fire on it QB. Adcoms do look at that sort of thing. But keep in mind that no amount of extracurricular activity will help a low (less than 3.3 or so) GPA. Also, be deliberate about studying for your MCAT. If your name measn you're a football player, this should be OK as the MCAT is a spring semester test, and you'll have time after the season to study for it. I roomed with a tackle who had a 4.0 majoring in chemistry, so things like what you're talking about can be accomplished...Justin worked his ass off though. In any case, good luck.

------------------
Dr. Sig
*disclaimer* All opinions are worth
what you paid for them.

[This message has been edited by doctor_sig (edited 07-21-2000).]

I agree with Dr-Sig:

In order to acctually get into medical schools, you need something besides grades (hospital experience, research, volunteer work or in your case sports). This will be very helpfull, if you can show Adcom that you can invest time and work hard at sports for an extended period of time, it will reflect very positively on you. But in oder to get yourself even looked at, you will have to get those grades/MCATs in order. You can be Joe Montana but with a 2.0, you will not stand even a remote chance of getting in.

Arti

Members don't see this ad :)
Playing intercollegiate athletics was one of the greatest accomplishments of my college years. Even at a small Div.III, the sense of pride was evident. The road trips, spending money, equipment subsidies, guaranteed fitness... ...just some of the endless reasons to play sports in college if you have the chance.

As it relates to med school. There was not one interview I had that did not mention my college athletic involvement. Often my interviewers had an interest in sports and this led to personal smalltalk/chit-chat that lessened the stuffiness and formality if the med school interview.

As the other posts have said though, there is not substitute for grades. You could walk into an interview with an Olympic gold medal around your neck and be rejected if your grades are average.

I hope you give it a try and see if you can manage both grades and athletics.

Good Luck.

rangersI, I couldn't agree with you more. I wouldn't give up my years of collegiate athletics for anything. You learn so much more than x's and o's. teamwork, dedication, perseverence, and work ethic to name a few. I'm sure you and others on this site will agree that most applicants are basically the same, and in order to get in you must have something that stands out. Hopefully sports are my "in"....

I was wondering the same thing as QB. I am entering my sophomore year in college and played varsity soccer (Division 1) last year while earning a 3.4 GPA. Any opinions about playing again or giving it up. I am planning to cut out some social activities to raise the GPA, but sports does take up a lot of time. Thanks.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm entering sophomore year with a GPA just under 3.4

I also played soccer, but division III. Even still, I plan on quitting the team to focus on the grades. Soccer was actually 1 of 2 sports that I played, and I plan on quitting both, though continuing to workout and stay fit on my own. I know I need to make drastic changes after a crappy 1st year start. GPA is more important than the sports...
Then again, I injured my ankle pretty after repeated sprains, so I had no plans on playing anyway before I got my bad gpa back.
It's upto you though. It might be tough for you to explain your situation to your coach, most of them just don't care. Are you on scholarship?