Sports med and ER

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bb622

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the SAEM fellowship website there is only four ER sports med fellowships offered. Do people do them at different places or under a primary care/family med fellowship or what?
And do EM docs tend to do sports med without the fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

bb622 said:
On the SAEM fellowship website there is only four ER sports med fellowships offered. Do people do them at different places or under a primary care/family med fellowship or what?
And do EM docs tend to do sports med without the fellowship?

I have an extensive list of EM sports med fellowships that I am considering in Texas and Oklahoma.

Most primary care sports medicine fellowships allow FM, IM, PEDS, & EM. That list on SAEM is very poor. Consider looking at the ACSM and/or AOASM websites.

Sports med has historically been a FP fellowship, primary care. There are a few that have been taken over by the department of emergency medicine, thereofore with a priority for EM residents. Since it is a requirement that those in primary care fellowships must spend 10-20% of their time in the specialty of their choice, if you are an EM resident and now are in an EM sports med fellowship, you will be in the ED for 10-20% of your time rather than ALL of your time in clinic or on the field.
There obviously is a significant difference in the way FP and EM docs think, but the fellowship training is essentially the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Physician and Sports Medicine has a yearly list (at least they did thru last year) of fellowships and what specialties they take. I have also talked to a couple of FP to Sports Med fellowship directors and they said they'd take EM residents.

www.physsportsmed.com then search back issues

What does a EM boarded doc do with a sports med fellowship? Team doc, or maybe work in an ortho clinic one or two days a week? Have always been sort of interested in doing this, and have an advanced degree in exercise phys, but wonder if the year would be worth it.

That is an excellent question primarily because EM earns more money than a PC sports med doctor. I think the primary goals could be :
1. academics
2. allow time to get out of the ED and work a clinic schedule part time
3. diversity
4. business opportunity