Sports Med docs out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

delayofgame

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any docs that work with pro sports teams out there? I wanted to know how you really get a working assoc with a pro club. Do you solicit them or they you? I am interested in pro hockey, but I'd like to hear from anyone who deals with pro athletes. I assume most of any practice, is non sports related, but ortho & PMR and maybe, FP or IM guys, handle most team's duties. Is a DO or MD really more looked at when it comes to Spts Med.? DO's do have hands on ability, but MD's have reputation, so which is more important? Thanx for any input from the guys, who busted their butts to get to where you are w/ these sports.

Members don't see this ad.

Yo guys/gals... WHERES ALL THE JOCKDOCS otut here? I realize the board is occupied with studious types, but c'mon we cant all be neurosurgeons, cardiothorac , & other "hard" specialties. Some of us mite just wanna settle for lowly ortho's or PMR guys etc, or FP/IM for that matter, that actually treat people who care about their bods & give a damn, not like the over half obese America. Yeah people, we #1 in alot of things to be proud, but fat is not one to admire. We need more people to motivate w/end warriors, etc Up rite thru the pros. Spts med is the future of not only medicine, prevention, but of lifestyle ,...that everyone should employ. Ok, I'm goin back in my coma now, hey, what do i care, i trained today, I practice what i preach, i hope docs do the same. Anyone can eat chips & read books, try readin & workin out & then... sharpen your mind, plus maybe actually enjoy school. End of soapbox speech.... Let's go people , get on the stick... Train,train,train,.... eat,sleep, & train some more. But never do the same thing 2x Less is MORE, but ya gotta be consistent!!Less doesnt mean = NONE. Alright, hope i motivated some bozo to get off their butt. Hey guys the ladies will appreciate it, obviously girls, the lunatics posing as men will too. Get huge or go home... that outta spark some controversy,he,he...

yo, i hear ya. Im applying to med school this year with a goal of becoing a sports doc, especially for hockey. Im canadian and played all my life.. it was my dream. So the second best thing in life would be to be a doc for one of the teams. I have actualy tried to resarch somewhat how to get into it. From what i have found you usually have a great connectoin.. which ok is not happening for me. The other common option is that you start with small time teams.. like WHL, OHL.. etc, even lower farm clubs as a doctor. The spots are still hard to get but alot easier that way. It is a matter of applying for positions to those clubs at that level and working your way up to NHL orhihger type levels. Lots of types of docs are good. Orthopedics are big, but internalmedicine with focus in sports medicine. all types are needed.
I just wanan watch eveyr freakin season game on the bench. how cool would that be! if you find out more let me know. it is my goal as wel..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, Where did u play in CANADA? Hockey is my sport too. I am not Canadian, but grew up in Philly with the Flyers as predecessors. Did u play juniors? I agree, theres NO better game. Anyway, your rite, either go Im or PMR, but it mite be tuff w/ PMR to do much as ortho does the cuts, PT the rehab & IM keeps the guys goin thru internal/regular needs. I noticed your in Phoenix, try callin Gretzk & applying there in 7 yrs. Actually, both Coyotes docs are DO's, both their IM guy & their Ortho. How ironic for DO's, they definitely are gettin some ink in the "bigs". Welcome to the NHL,eh? Hey, whose your team, Leafs,Habs,Oilers,Flames or Canucks or non of the above? I'm Wings all the way. Hey Bobby probert used to make it thru the border at Windsor, tilt aht fateful day. Threre's always a stitch or two needed after a heavyweight go!! ok, i'll keep ya posted as i find more... Check out the" NHL Crazies" thread i instigated in The Lounge. ***skate,skate,skate,c'mon guys, lets go lets pick it up...Always remember when ya come over the boards to , "slide right" on the bench, & keep ya freakin head up @ the blueline>>>nasty habit i paid for one time, the lites really do go out when ya get a Scott Stevens type hitter cuttin across. We're probably the only 2 on this board that understand what I'm saying what ya think ? later,W.St.

hey, are u a med students or goign to apply? NIce to meet someone else who loves hockey! i just had an interview adn my guy liked hockey as well so we spent the whole time talking hockey and stuff. it was awsome! Ya i played a year of AHL near rochester.. this was a few years back. I had taken a couple years off in my life prior to that and just got into agian enough to somewhat compete at that level but never got back to how i was so i knew i had no real future for NHL. That is when i decided i better go do somethign signifigant in college. Was gonna do law, but then changed my mind to med.. and here i am, hopfully in next year. But ya, a trainer or team doc is defintly an amazing position, especially come playoffs to see your team go through that. I bet it is crazy excitment.Id love it. WHen i know where im getting in im going to start researching on how to get into it exactly because that is somethign i realy want to to as well. Im gonna go check out your other thread.. talk to yalater

Yo, I'm reapplyin!! Long,long story. Hey, I lived outside Roch. when i was a kid for 2yrs. My dad took me to Amerks games & there's where i learned how to skate on a frozen front lawn. We were from Philly, so when i got to Roch., everyone used to tease me on what icing the puck was. I sincerely thought it was puttin it in the frezer [ though they do for the bounce], but i had no idea when i was that young what the hell rules were. I love it when people,girls, etc, that dont know hockey, complian they cant follow, watch , understand the game. They're too slow. Anyway, i could go on 4 ever... What yr were u with them? Who was on the club then & coahing? Did baryy melrose ever deal w/ them or was he only Aidorondack [sp?] ??? I do like Barry, some people cant stand him, i think he's got the ultimate job, just talking hockey, but w/ a wealth of knowledge. Yeah, to answer the other thread which i will get back to, PROBIE was nuts, stoned,bombed, outta his gord, but he & Joey Kocur did some serious damage to the NHL in the 80's. I was in Philly, my best bud a Flyer's fan & we'd watch fite tapes for 2 or 3 hrs drinking beer, ...then go out & totally destroy a bar/club, thinking we're tuff guys. Yeah rite, he said he single handedly stopped me from annihalating myself or just plain gettin the gate from almost every club. If we didnt meet any women[ the off nites] I'd have to engage the patrons in some jousting. it was typical of 80's lifestyle. I remember one nite, Shayne Corson & the Canadiens were involved in a melee, at a bar outside either Tor. or Montreal , & we wound up gettin stitched at a local hospital & my friend said, next wk, >>>" you go out w/ Corson, man I'm drinkin at home!!!!!" Very freakin hilarious.... I hope some *****s on here appreciate our knowledge of the GREATEST pasttime on EARTH. ***OOOH, LaLa,La.... Oh canada, our home & native land... true patriot love in all thyne sons command.... still gets me goin, sends shivers up my spine & lets go... drop em & throw em. Did ya get many fighting majors? I wasa tossed from every HS game i played tryin be the 2nd coming of my kid idol , Dave Schultz. later, wall... rock & roll, let the games begin.....

god i hope we go to the same med school. how fun would that be!! ya i played on the amerks from 97-99.. one and a half seasons in there.. i messed me knee to hell during my last year there and cut it short . was under coach McCutcheon at the time. I had a blast playing there. My dream was to go all the way but for anyone woh has played and see the compeittion in north america alone, nevermind all of europe etc.. it is really ipossible to make it all the way. it takes alot of luck as well .. hell it is sitll my dream but not happening so ill try to get behind the bench as a doc! Ya i love melrose.. i was pleased to see him go all out and chop his monster mullet off this year before playoffs! ha but i heard he is a jerk off in real life but i often hear that about people.. who konws. I think he is a good commentator and knows his ****. he also did a kick ass job with the kings in his day so in my books he is good. Man i really am sick of detroit this past few years but if ya like em well.. haha jk i really wanna see oilers win a cup again, they so dserve it. We have gretzky here in phoenix now.. thankd GOD he is not playing.. but still godo to have him! haha yo do you have AIM or something? my AIM is sleepyca31.. im me whenver.. ok later