Sports med Pec injury??

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by delayofgame, Nov 12, 2002.

1. delayofgame

delayofgame Membership Revoked
    Removed

Hi to any ortho's out there- Just a quik ques? i was doing a preacher bench reverse dumbell curl, 72hrs ago, that I jerked my left shoulder/pec area to "pull up the final " rep. Problem was, I felt a sharp, searing, pain in the left pec area, just where or rather --- the area that you can "grip" the pec to support it w/ ur rite hand. In essence, its 2 nches from left nipple, but a tad up toward the armpit. I dont believe we're in Rotator cuff area, rather its inhibiting breathing to some point, & it feels better if supported during inspiration/exhalation. Sleeping the 3rd nite on it, was worse than 1st 2. i dont know if this is indicative of futher damage of a partially torn , poss. pec major or pec minor?? Laughing, coughing, etc is painful, unless support is lent to the left pec & it is " held up w/ rite hand" until cough, laugh, subsides. So i know MRI would rule better, but its a bit before i see my primary guy to get the refer. i am a personal trainer too, so i have some idea, but not sure if pec minor or major causes rib cage elevation or not. Its way too hi for ribs, but what it is --- is tuff to guess? So thanx for any insight u mite have. i just need someone who knows anatomy of musclo -skeletal REAL WELL around pecs & shoulder tie ins. thanx....

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. delayofgame

delayofgame Membership Revoked
    Removed

Just trying to see if anyone has an idea if the pec major or minor is most likely to affect breathing? This continues to be a feeling of , instability if i try to lay down on the floor & reach w/ my left arm to support myself while going down. It could be a rotator cuff muscle, but are there tendinous attachments, other than the pec muscle itself that could affect breaths, on the rib cage hi up near the arm pit/clavicle? This is very strange to feel, it almost feels like a ball or knot is there. yet I can put pressure via a finger pushing in on the point of pain, and it justs feels very tender, i cant feel a knot but i feel deep pain in the muscle like the ache of a toothache. i assume there are grades of pec tears, but oddly, i can cross my arm in front of me--- even against normal resistance. it is more of a tight feeling in the region, just an inch or two above the left nipple. Is any ortho guys have a clue as to what this mite be from clinical experience?? I would really appreciate someone getting back on this mystery. thanks again. There can only be so much it can be? it is either a muscle or a tendon? is there cartilage that could be torn? In that region, its not likely. its not costal region between sternum, so i assume theres no real cartilage hi on ribs, under your armpit almost, just muscle & tendon attachments?

4. ktat72

ktat72 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I am only an MS 2, but have you tried any medications? It sounds more like a muscle pull and I would try flexeril (talk to your doctor about that) and that should probably help with the pain you are having.