sports med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Firelambo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If someone's ultimate plan is to practice sports medicine. Is there a big disadvantage applying from pm&r residency vs FM residency? It seems majority of programs are FM sponsored...so maybe they favor FM more? Can current applicants and fellows chime in. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

If someone's ultimate plan is to practice sports medicine. Is there a big disadvantage applying from pm&r residency vs FM residency? It seems majority of programs are FM sponsored...so maybe they favor FM more? Can current applicants and fellows chime in. Thanks!!
From what I've seen on the interview trail you have more options in FM to be sure. But I'll also say that PMR has some advantages from an ultrasound and MSK exposure point of view. So I would say the only disadvange from PMR would be some programs are more welcoming of that specialty than others.

Thank you for your reply. Based on your experience if someone is 100% set on doing sports medicine is it safer to go FM to qualify for all the sports med fellowship positions? Worst scenario is not matching bc of what primary specialty applicant was in. ( I imagine peds, ER, IM) are at a bigger disadvantage. Do you think FM is overkill if someone is just interested in primarily MSK pathologies vs going pm&r route?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply. Based on your experience if someone is 100% set on doing sports medicine is it safer to go FM to qualify for all the sports med fellowship positions? Worst scenario is not matching bc of what primary specialty applicant was in. ( I imagine peds, ER, IM) are at a bigger disadvantage. Do you think FM is overkill if someone is just interested in primarily MSK pathologies vs going pm&r route?

I dont think youre at a disadvantage if you match into those other specialties. I did my residency in Peds and this cycle I have 10 interviews, some peds programs and most FM programs. I think you should do a residency in what you are interested in. Its gonna be 3 to 4 yrs so you want to make sure you are happy in those years. That being said, FM does have the most sports fellowships so there is a greater chance. Just make sure in whatever residency you choose, get involved early in event coverage.

Reactions: 1 user
I dont think youre at a disadvantage if you match into those other specialties. I did my residency in Peds and this cycle I have 10 interviews, some peds programs and most FM programs. I think you should do a residency in what you are interested in. Its gonna be 3 to 4 yrs so you want to make sure you are happy in those years. That being said, FM does have the most sports fellowships so there is a greater chance. Just make sure in whatever residency you choose, get involved early in event coverage.
Couldn't agree with this more. You should choose a primary specialty you'd enjoy if sports didn't work out or that is something you're interested in.

All good advice from above posters.

I'm FM FIRST than Sports Med. Theres a reason its called PRIMARY care sports medicine.

Most academic places when you apply for a job want you to do that for that for their athletes. They have orthopedists for ortho needs. They dont want you to looking at peoples knees. This is where your primary care part comes in.

For example, my program, D1. My attending (PD), and the head of ortho are the guys that travel with the teams when they play. My PD (although super good at ortho), isn't the one being called by the athletic trainer for a suspected ACL.

In training room, you'll be called for the "medical" aspect of the athlete more than the orthopedic part. So if you're "base" training didn't give you any of that.. I feel you can't do much. As i'm in fellowship now, this is how i'm finding out committee goes through things.

So, statistically, and training wise, if you feel FM is something you will like doing (even fulltime, if things don't go the way you plan), than that's better to eventually give you access to PRIMARY care sports medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you guys for the response! Very helpful link

I completed pediatrics residency and sports medicine fellowship.
I'll tell you my applicant year that PM&R was the most competitive match in sports medicine. There are just more people applying from PM&R and less sports that accept them. My year and I think the year before IM, EM, FM, peds, seemed to be close in terms of people who went unmatched. I'm not saying PM&R is less competent it was just that they had a rougher match that year. You can find the match results with data on percentages of the different specialties online.

You can only match at a program that can offer you a continuity experience in your primary field which is what limits you in terms of your fellowship. Occasionally I found programs that said they accepted peds applicant but had never and seemed skeptical on interview day. Coming from peds I only was not offered one interview that I applied for and I think interviewed at 14-15 programs (it was competitive the year before so I was a bit frightened - I think it was 14 but may have been 15). I did have to say no to several though just because of time constraints. While I didn't feel that my primary field held me back too much for fellowship finding a job is different. Some areas of the country have no peds sports med doctors even though there were many where did medical school so I find that frustrating. That being said I've been offered amazing jobs just not where my hubby is at.

I knew I wanted to do sports medicine since first year of medical school. I love peds sports medicine because younger people have more diverse pathology than just arthritis. Where I did medical school the peds sports med docs took care of athletes of all ages but had time in the peds hospital as well as saw patients at the adult hospital of all ages. I really liked the diversity and I like the youth, HS, college athlete better than I like joint injections which is why I chose peds. Even though it has been more difficult finding a permanent job I don't regret the route I chose as I've never really liked old people much. If you don't care which way you go , family probably has the most options but I would consider what you want. Emergency seems like it would be heavily sought after. Everyone needs more em, uc people and the shift work allows you to do some emergency shifts, some clinic days, and event coverage. If I had a second choice I probably would have done emergency medicine then PM&R, then family or IM. Everyone's different that is what makes life so beautiful.

Reactions: 1 users