Sports Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ColinHay

Its A Mistake
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the required route one must take to become a sports med doc?

Can you go into a sports med fellowship after anesthesia residency?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the required route one must take to become a sports med doc?

Can you go into a sports med fellowship after anesthesia residency?

Hmm, that would be a new one to me.

Sports Medicine, as I understand it, normally flows out of FP. One would imagine you could track from IM as well, given the overlap between the two.

Sports Ortho is a fellowship of Orthopedics, focusing on surgical management of Sports Med injuries/disorders.

Never heard of tracking out of Anes. Hard to believe you could do that, since I find it hard to believe that clinical musculoskeletal medicine is taught in those programs.

You can apply to a sports med fellowship through FP, IM, Peds, PM&R, and EM. FP is the most popular/traditional route to enter the primary care sports med fellowships. Ortho is also another option, but that is surgical sports medicine....entirely different training. As far as I know, the closest thing to sports med through Anesthesia is doing a fellowship in Pain Management, though those are usually more interventional then purely msk/sports and definitely won't put you in a position to be a team doc if thats what you're looking to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to FREIDA, there are 3 EM fellowship programs, 1 IM, and 85 FM programs. I'd say FM pretty much has a lock on this sub-specialty. I'd also say that PM&R is the closest thing you'll probably find to an anesthesia route to sports medicine, though there's not really that much overlap between the two specialties. Both do learn a lot about pain management, but that's about it.

According to FREIDA, there are 3 EM fellowship programs, 1 IM, and 85 FM programs. I'd say FM pretty much has a lock on this sub-specialty. I'd also say that PM&R is the closest thing you'll probably find to an anesthesia route to sports medicine, though there's not really that much overlap between the two specialties. Both do learn a lot about pain management, but that's about it.

Yes, but I believe that many of those FM fellowhips accept IM and EM people too.

Yes, but I believe that many of those FM fellowhips accept IM and EM people too.

I don't know anything about that, so I can't comment. I do know that many Anesthesia-run pain fellowships claim to take people from other specialties like PM&R, but it's a heckuva lot easier to get into them if you're an anesthesia resident.

From what I've gathered, FP Sports Med fellowships are available to IM, EM, Peds, and PM&R, but they heavily favor family med residency grads; as a general rule...

probably pretty program specific.....some have websites that give some stats about their fellows and it says what residency they have done

It seems that FP would be the best way to go since kids, teens, and younger adults comprise the majority of athletes. Also, I'd imagine that it could take a while to build a practice specific to sports med (unless you enter into an established one). So, one could do regular FM and take on sports related injuries as they presented in your patient population.