Sports Medicine 2020 - 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheerios71581

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many programs are you all going to apply to this year? A resident who matched to start this year applied to 35, but thought that was too many.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably is too many. I haven't decided how many I'll do yet, but have 32 tagged in ERAS right now and would only truly want to go to a handful.

Anyone know which FM/EM/Peds programs are particularly well-suited for PM&R applicants either through a dedicated PM&R spot, fluoro opportunities or otherwise have a strong track-record of training PM&R applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is everyone planning on doing virtual interviews? I received notification from AMSSM that they are recommending all virtual interviews this year.

For those of you looking for a PMR sports fellowship that they are posting in the Family Medicine Sports subsection. The responses here are overwhelmingly geared towards the Family Med side of things. I am not sure if there is a specific Sports Medicine subsection for PMR.

To answer the question regarding which programs take the PMR residents, the ACGME has a searchable database with all fellowships. You can search it specifically by specialty. Here is the link -

Good luck in the match.

I sent in 29, but probably would only consider 12-15 of them. Probably wasted a little money but I guess better safe than sorry. Has anyone received invites on day 1? Good luck to everyone!

I sent in 29, but probably would only consider 12-15 of them. Probably wasted a little money but I guess better safe than sorry. Has anyone received invites on day 1? Good luck to everyone!
31 for me. Applied too many for sure. Oh well...

received one email from a program confirming my application.

let’s keep this thread updated with interview offers.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there anything specific applicants are looking for with regard to this seasons virtual interviews? What is the most important thing you would like programs to do during an interview this year?

I think a big thing for me would be some type of virtual tour of the facilities and clinic whether it is a walkthrough video or someone taking the computer camera around to show the clinic or areas of work. It’s gonna be really hard to make a decision based off that but it’s about the best we can hope for this year...

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if uploading the AMSSM code of ethics is still a requirement or do we just wait until programs request it to be sent?
I was just reading some of the posts from previous match threads and wanted to make sure I didn't miss something??

Edit: I now see there is another post asking about the same thing, but figured I'd ask on here too

Last edited:
Is there a way to upload additional documents to ERAS? When I tried to look all I could see was using EFDO for the MPSE and transcript but not a place for miscellaneous documents.

what type of miscellaneous document are you trying to upload?

I think a big thing for me would be some type of virtual tour of the facilities and clinic whether it is a walkthrough video or someone taking the computer camera around to show the clinic or areas of work. It’s gonna be really hard to make a decision based off that but it’s about the best we can hope for this year...
Thats good to know. I'll have to block off our fellow to create some recruiting videos. If I can get some time, perhaps we can upload them to our website as well.

what type of miscellaneous document are you trying to upload?
A program had put on their website about wanting a letter of good standing. Another one contacted me about sending a copy of my medical school diploma but I simply sent that to them through email.

A program had put on their website about wanting a letter of good standing. Another one contacted me about sending a copy of my medical school diploma but I simply sent that to them through email.

Is it worth preemptively sending all the additional documents (medical license, med diploma, first page of publications, AMSSM form, etc...) or is it better to just wait until they request the paperwork?

Just a little update have two interview offers, two programs asking for additional documents, and one confirming my application. I’m sure it will take a little while for other programs to get in touch. Anyone else hearing anything?

Last edited:
Just a little update have two interview offers, two programs asking for additional documents, and one confirming my application. I’m sure it will take a little while for other programs to get in touch. Anyone else hearing anything?

Mind sharing which programs?

Interview invite today from a program in New England

i remember for residency, they did a big spreadsheet of all the programs and when they sent interview invites (they would also include dates of the interviews being offered)... anyone savvy enough to know how to do such a thing for sports fellowships?

Unfortunately I’m not that savvy but in a few weeks I’ll put up places that I have heard from and we can all add to the list to try to make a master list.

i remember for residency, they did a big spreadsheet of all the programs and when they sent interview invites (they would also include dates of the interviews being offered)... anyone savvy enough to know how to do such a thing for sports fellowships?

I made a google doc that anyone can edit/update with interview invites or rejections. This way this thread doesn't just turn into a random list that keeps getting reposted over the next couple weeks. Please excuse any typos in the document

Sports Medicine Fellowship 2020-2021

I made a google doc that anyone can edit/update with interview invites or rejections. This way this thread doesn't just turn into a random list that keeps getting reposted over the next couple weeks. Please excuse any typos in the document

Sports Medicine Fellowship 2020-2021
Not working anymore.

got an interview invite from a program in the south east this past Friday.

If one were to get about 8 interviews, what are their chances of matching?

1599094455597.png

Most likely a better chance then if you only had 7 and worse chance if you had 9.
Very likely much better if you only had 1 and worse if you had 20
100% better then if you had 0

But seriously
Chill bro 8 is pretty good. Focus on what you can change, like the 8 interviews you have.

Most likely a better chance then if you only had 7 and worse chance if you had 9.
Very likely much better if you only had 1 and worse if you had 20
100% better then if you had 0

But seriously
Chill bro 8 is pretty good. Focus on what you can change, like the 8 interviews you have.
I guess my chances are improving, I now have 12.

There you go, you got it!
JK
But seriously I feel bad for all of this years applicants; visiting the different programs and seeing all the same people interviewing was fun and I made a lot of friends. It was great to see them again at the fellow retreat and see where everyone matched.

Seriously, calm down. you will match with 12. speaking personally, applied to >50 programs, and <5 interviews so far. Starting to panic. I really thought i Had a very strong application.

Reactions: 1 users
Seriously, calm down. you will match with 12. speaking personally, applied to >50 programs, and <5 interviews so far. Starting to panic. I really thought i Had a very strong application.
Yeah seems like things have slowed down as far as interview offers from what I’ve heard. I’ve only got 5 so far out of 29 but hoping for more. Either way just have to make the most of the opportunities you’re given.

Yeah seems like things have slowed down as far as interview offers from what I’ve heard. I’ve only got 5 so far out of 29 but hoping for more. Either way just have to make the most of the opportunities you’re given.
Ya'll are in good company... applied 32 and interviewing at 5 so far and no rejections yet. I feel like I have a strong application, too.

Interviews may be slower than in previous years because of everything going on in the world. I have 2 interviews (applied 10) with no rejections...yet.

Interviews may be slower than in previous years because of everything going on in the world. I have 2 interviews (applied 10) with no rejections...yet.

This! We just started sending out interview invites today. Other programs are sending out later than usual as well. Best of luck guys

This! We just started sending out interview invites today. Other programs are sending out later than usual as well. Best of luck guys

Are we even allowed to say "congrats" these days? Dunno. I'll let my robot overlord do the, er..."talking."

• Haha
At Long Beach, we have sent out all interview offers. We will be completing our last round of interviews this week. If you applied to our program and did not receive an interview, I apologize. This was a remarkably competitive year for the applicant pool. Good luck to everyone in the match process.

Does it seem like most places are done with sending out interviews?

I can't speak for everyone, but the virtual process hasn't been as bad as I thought it was going to be. I think it is mutually beneficial so far. I think it saves the applicants a ton of time and money and also makes it easier to attend interviews. The downside is that you don't get to physically see the facilities. Though, this year even an in person interview would likely be a waste of time since most colleges are closed down.

I imagine most programs are done sending out invites. We are completing our last round of interviews tomorrow and should have a rank list solidified in the next couple weeks. I'm actually surprised at how streamlined the process has been. Do any of the applicants have any feedback on your experience thus far? Do you guys feel like this worked out for the better or worse? Is there anything we should be doing differently for next year?

If you are wondering what questions to ask during the interview process for fellowship please check out Fundamentals of Sports Medicine.

Fundamentals of Sports Medicine Team

• Twitter: @FundamentalofSM
  • IG: @fundamentals_of_sports_med
  • Facebook: @FundamentalsOfsm
  • Email: [email protected]

Based on the google spreadsheet (linked above) it appears that approx 50 of the approx 180 programs have yet to invite (or else no one who has access to the spreadsheet got invited... which seems hard to believe). Its definitely later than last year, when most ii were in the early part of September - but our application went to programs later and they had to figure out how to restructure their interviews due to COVID, so I'm not surprised things are later.

How's everyone doing? Seems like things are winding down now. Got 4 invites, 3 rejections, and 3 that I've yet to hear from (only applied to 10 programs). But at this point, I'm considering those rejections.

Has anyone else been getting invitations for a meet and greets with no interview invite?

Same feel like it’s winding down. Got 7 interviews total and have 2 more to go. Good luck to everyone!