Sports Medicine 2022-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don’t mind the question as an applicant. It just opens the floor for me to ask or talk about anything. However, I hate the assumption that simply because I don’t ask questions about the program I am perceived uninterested. For most of my interviews I don’t particularly have any questions about the program as I’ve already read their website, information packet, and/or presentation which answer everything I care for. I tell the interviewer if that’s the case and proceed to try to get to know them, the people in the program, better. I’d rather know I can have a normal conversation with them than ask “how many procedures do fellows do?”
Thats a good strategy, i'll try that next time!

Members don't see this ad.

That I agree with 100%. Interviewers should get to know the applicant too. As the attending I need to see if we will get along as I will be teaching/mentoring you daily. It’s not like residency where you can hide amongst your group of residents. Anyway, I always ask about the applicant. I read their file, mention their publications and their rec letters. Sports medicine is a small field so we sometimes know who your letter writer is and ask how they are doing (how do you think we invited you to interview with us lol). Personally I like to ask where they’re from and what their plans are for after fellowship, and if there’s a particular sport they are interested in or follow.

So PM&R resident over here. Have done sports research and gone to AMSSM as well as sports electives. It's Oct 24th, applied to 47 programs and have ZERO interviews!! Can anyone explain to me why? Most programs are ghosting me or replying with the "all interview spots were filled". Kind of frustrating seeing so many people apply to fewer and get so many interviews, I was expecting at least 5 though. I have no glaring red flags, all steps passed on the first try. The only thing is maybe because I was an IMG but I am finishing a PM&R residency in New York. Just curious if anyone else has a similarly frustrating experience?

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So PM&R resident over here. Have done sports research and gone to AMSSM as well as sports electives. It's Oct 24th, applied to 47 programs and have ZERO interviews!! Can anyone explain to me why? Most programs are ghosting me or replying with the "all interview spots were filled". Kind of frustrating seeing so many people apply to fewer and get so many interviews, I was expecting at least 5 though. I have no glaring red flags, all steps passed on the first try. The only thing is maybe because I was an IMG but I am finishing a PM&R residency in New York. Just curious if anyone else has a similarly frustrating experience?
So sorry dude! I would have a serious sit down with your home program or a local program about the issue. Sounds like there could be a hidden red flag (letters, personal statement?). Hopefully this is fixable by next cycle.

That is very odd. If you have a solid resume, there must have been something in the letter of recs that may have been seen as a red fleg :/ I'm sorry to hear about this, but I hope you get interview invites in the next coming weeks. Worse comes to worse, if you don't get any interviews this year, I would meet with the doctors who wrote your letters and ask them how you can improve on your weaknesses for the next match cycle and apply to more programs. Wishing you the best!

For residency we would email our #1 ranked program letting them know we tanking them #1. Not sure it matters and I don’t feel it makes a difference in fellowship, but I may be wrong. All my interviews are virtual.

I do send thoughtful thank you notes to everyone.

2nd looks are not being allowed at most programs (and all the ones I’ve interviewed at least officially). It’s also stupid imo to even consider second looks part of the process. Many people cannot afford it and/or don’t have enough vacation/professional days to swing it.
Agree that it should not be considered part of the process. There are some other parts that I don't like very much. However, I would not label it as 'STUPID'. It gives an opportunity to the candidates to get to the know the program and the teaching faculty in a better and more personalized environment. You want to know as much as possible about the program, since you are going to dedicate an important year of your career there. You will have a chance to see all the things yourself that they told you in a virtual meeting. Should this be considered as a ranking tool?, absolutely NOT.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree that it should not be considered part of the process. There are some other parts that I don't like very much. However, I would not label it as 'STUPID'. It gives an opportunity to the candidates to get to the know the program and the teaching faculty in a better and more personalized environment. You want to know as much as possible about the program, since you are going to dedicate an important year of your career there. You will have a chance to see all the things yourself that they told you in a virtual meeting. Should this be considered as a ranking tool?, absolutely NOT.
Agreed.

I just feel strongly on how 2nd looks place those who are experiencing financial hardship or other challenges at a disadvantage. I should have worded this differently.

How much are you guys reading into post-IV communication?
I have had a few programs not reply to my thank you emails. Does this mean they hated me ? Lol

I have had a few programs not reply to my thank you emails. Does this mean they hated me ? Lol
Every PD and other interviewers have responded to my thank you note. For what it’s worth, I don’t think it matters though.

It's been kinda hit and miss with me but I have heard from most of the PDs, but not as often from other interviewers.

Why do some programs interview so many applicants for one spot? Ugh I feel like the programs where the ratio is like 1:18 applicants are a waste of time

Source: FRIEDA

Last edited:
Does it mean anything if interviews send you a thank you letter? Or do they just send it to everyone and it doesn't mean anything?

Does it mean anything if interviews send you a thank you letter? Or do they just send it to everyone and it doesn't mean anything?
It certainly is not a BAD thing, but I feel it is hard to read into a lot of post-interview communication as they cannot tell us where we are on their rank list (as would be a Match violation). That's just my two cents from someone who is in the same boat :)!

Members don't see this ad :)
It certainly is not a BAD thing, but I feel it is hard to read into a lot of post-interview communication as they cannot tell us where we are on their rank list (as would be a Match violation). That's just my two cents from someone who is in the same boat :)!

Impressive you guys got un-solicited post interview communication! Meanwhile a lot of PDs didnt respond to my thank you emails...

I think they can tell you, they just cant ask where you ranked them

Impressive you guys got un-solicited post interview communication! Meanwhile a lot of PDs didnt respond to my thank you emails...

I think they can tell you, they just cant ask where you ranked them
I only got a couple of un-solicited e-mails, the vast majority of communication started with my thank you e-mails. Hope that helps!

My 2 cents is that you’re in an unintentional black hole made by virtual interviews. Being PM&R you already have fewer programs to apply to, plus IMG makes it easy for programs to filter you out in the context of hundreds of applications. This was a very competitive year, with many programs receiving over 60 applications per spot.

My 2 cents is that you’re in an unintentional black hole made by virtual interviews. Being PM&R you already have fewer programs to apply to, plus IMG makes it easy for programs to filter you out in the context of hundreds of applications. This was a very competitive year, with many programs receiving over 60 applications per spot.
I feel like this is said about all specialties every year. I have friends applying to cards, GI, ortho specialties with similar remarks.
When does it stop? Lol

Last edited:
Insanely competitive year can't believe how impressive all the people we interviewed were

Insanely competitive year can't believe how impressive all the people we interviewed were
That's unfortunate for those of us applying. But I'm sure it will only get worse in coming years :rolleyes:

A big-name program sent me some unsolicited post IV communication, quite a long email, thanking me for applying and telling me id be a great fit . Its nice of them but I also feel a bit unsure how to interpret this type of communication. Hmm

Last edited:
Sorry to post so much but are you guys planning on sending a few emails to re-express interest in programs? Some I haven't had any communication since the IV back in like September...

For your top fellowship programs, did you guys send a thank you email to all the faculty members you interviewed with or just to the PD?

Are there any recent fellows or attendings here who have interviewed widely who I can talk to privately about various programs?

For your top fellowship programs, did you guys send a thank you email to all the faculty members you interviewed with or just to the PD?
I sent to all personally. I don't think it matters though. A lot of mine I didn't get responses back

Do you think sending a thank you email and a handwritten letter to your top programs would be too much?

I certainly sent a thank you email/voiced-my-interest-email but my handwriting would probably exclude me from further consideration :rofl:

Will only be sending a thank you email haha thanks you guys and best of luck!

Are there any recent fellows or attendings here who have interviewed widely who I can talk to privately about various programs?
I interviewed at a bunch of programs during my time. Feel free to ask even here if you like.

Do you think programs have already made their rank lists? When would be a good time to express interest in your top programs?

Do you think programs have already made their rank lists? When would be a good time to express interest in your top programs?
It’s probably fine for family med/primary care programs. Late for pmr ones.

Do you think its off putting to express interest in your #2, 3 program with an email stating you will be ranking them very highly?
Or will this be off putting

Do you think its off putting to express interest in your #2, 3 program with an email stating you will be ranking them very highly?
I don't think it's off putting at all. I've heard of programs reach out to fellows stating that they would rank them highly, and then fellows not matching to that program after ranking them highly.

I think it’s off putting unless you have a connection (i.e. attending or know the fellow) to go through

I think it’s off putting unless you have a connection (i.e. attending or know the fellow) to go through
If you are ranking programs as #2 or #3, you are in fact ranking them highly. So I don't see why telling them that would be a concern?

If you are ranking programs as #2 or #3, you are in fact ranking them highly. So I don't see why telling them that would be a concern?
It’s practically telling the programs they are not you’re #1 which is weird to me unless you have a close contact in such programs. I don’t see that being helpful.

Definitely send the email if you feel it’ll be helpful or strongly about it though!

It’s practically telling the programs they are not you’re #1 which is weird to me unless you have a close contact in such programs. I don’t see that being helpful.

Definitely send the email if you feel it’ll be helpful or strongly about it though!

Idk I definitely had a few programs state on the interview day say something like " Let us know if you are interested, remind us at the end of the season"

So that's why I wanted to express interest. Even if they are not my number 1, would still be extremely happy to match in my top 4 ish and moderately happy lower than that! haha

Reactions: 2 users
I'm years removed from the process but I think it is helpful to let programs know you're interested. Fellowship is all about relationships.

I'm years removed from the process but I think it is helpful to let programs know you're interested. Fellowship is all about relationships.
A few programs have personally reached out saying " we all really enjoyed meeting you and think you would fit well, let us know if you have questions"

I feel like it shouldn't be an issue going the other way...

Does anyone know or have a chart of how far people generally go down their list for FM sports med?
I know there was a chart for residency but I can't find one for sports med

All the best of luck in the Match, everyone!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why it takes about 1 month for us to get the match results? Whereas, other specialties find out about their match result only 2 weeks after submitting their rank list.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why it takes about 1 month for us to get the match results? Whereas, other specialties find out about their match result only 2 weeks after submitting their rank list.
Holiday probably

Holiday probably
This. Traditionally though match day was the first Wednesday of January so it was a three week wait. This year everyone has to wait 4 weeks. Good luck to everyone on 1/11!

Reactions: 2 users
Matched! Fell down my list a few spots but ended up at a great program. Hope everyone did!

Matched as well!!! So excited to start fellowship. I hope everyone matched to their top choices.

Late to the party but also matched! Excited to have you all as future colleagues!

Matched at my number 2. Congrats everyone!!!