Sports Medicine Fellowship after practicing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Patrick Bateman's Brother

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Based on the school's calculations, it will cost $300,000ish dollars to attend 4 years. I'm not made of money so I've looked into primary care scholarship options. Specifically, 1 offers $30,000/yr so long as I take a residency in the state for primary care and then practice in the state for 3 years.

My question is how unlikely is it to get into a family medicine sports medicine fellowship program after practicing for 3 years?

I've also heard it called, "Primary Care Sports Medicine," so I'm wondering the likelihood of perhaps being able to do the fellowship after residency and then doing the 3 years in state.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Based on the school's calculations, it will cost $300,000ish dollars to attend 4 years. I'm not made of money so I've looked into primary care scholarship options. Specifically, 1 offers $30,000/yr so long as I take a residency in the state for primary care and then practice in the state for 3 years.

My question is how unlikely is it to get into a family medicine sports medicine fellowship program after practicing for 3 years?

I've also heard it called, "Primary Care Sports Medicine," so I'm wondering the likelihood of perhaps being able to do the fellowship after residency and then doing the 3 years in state.
I know a doc that did a fellowship after practicing as a hospitalist, I believe he was working less than 2 years. He did most of a 2 year contract then matched, but he was IM and did A/I so not exactly the same. So its possible, but I think it is far more likely you will start earning 200k+ a year with much better hours than residency and you will look at a fellowship and say "no way I am going back to that." That is what happens for most people including my friend who was initially thinking of this route but keeps deciding not to for that reason.

IMO, if you want to do Sports Med, do the fellowship first, then go back and do the rural primary care contract if you must (its not like you lost your board certification in that year). Chances are tho that the extra money you will make in Sports med will be more than the 30k stipend anyway and you will end up never using the program. My 2 cents, take it for what its worth.

Reactions: 1 user