1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Sports Medicine in Residency

Discussion in 'Podiatric Residents & Physicians' started by BuckeyeDoctor, Aug 14, 2011.

1. BuckeyeDoctor

2+ Year Member

Does anyone know of any residencies that do a lot of sports medicine type work or rotations? I don't mean orthotics but more treating athletes of all calibers surgically--be it achilles ruptures, lateral ankle stabilization procedures, etc. etc. and dealing with a younger more active type patient.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 347932

Attending Physician
    I don't think there are any that focus more on Sports Medicine per se. I could be wrong, but more of the focus in residency is to learn the art of surgery and pre and post op management. I know there are some podiatric sports medicine fellowships, but the best way to find out about residencies is to ask around and approach the topic politely when you visit various programs.

4. Feli

Feli ACFAS Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree that sports med is more of a fellowship focus; some residencies will have more than others (pay attention on your clerkships). Definitely check out the AAPSM website. Dr A Saxena or Dr J Losito have fellowships where you'd see a good amount of sports med. :thumbup: