Sports Medicine Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spreesbeers

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what part of the country is there a need/demand for physiatrists right now (southeast, midwest)?

i am very interested in pursuing sports medicine. how is the current market for sports medicine?

do professional sports teams look to hire physiatrists (after a fellowship in sports medicine)?

Members don't see this ad.

I live outside of Cleveland, and most of the area team docs are contracted through bigger hospitals (like the Cleveland Clinic or Univeristy Hospitals). As far as need here goes, you may want to think about a college team physician, etc. If you dream is to "go pro", then by all means, go for it. However, there's always a need for good, caring team docs in high schools and colleges. Most, if not all, of those, are only part of your job, also. I work at a small high school and have had the great fortune of working with a wonderful, EXTREMELY competent orthopedic surgeon as team doc for the past 4 years (and will next year). Hope it gives you a little insight...

Also- where are you in your education right now? The outlook may change greatly... Good luck!!!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
hey ATC2MD,
thanx for the info. i just have a few more questions.

i have only finished my first year of medical school. i will graduate in 2004. do u see the outlook in PM&R drastically change then? if so, what do u forsee will happen?

my girlfriend will graduate the same time as me, but she will be an IMG. shes also interested in PM&R. how difficult is it for an IMG to get a PM&R residency?

i know that US News and World Report has a ranking of the top PM&R programs. i have been to their website but havent been able to find it. do u happen to know where i could find that list? if not, what would u say are some of the top-ramked reidency preograms in PM&R?

thanx for the input.

spreesbeers,

I think alot of your questions regarding physiatry and PM&R can be answered by going to The American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at http://www.aapmr.org/

Hey Spreesbeers - The top res. areas are (not in any particular order mind you):

Harvard (Spaulding Rehab)
Hopkins
Rehab Chicago
Washington
Baylor (Texas)
Mayo
Rusk
Kessler

Hi again :) I don't know about future outlooks - but, the way I see it, high schools/colleges/pro teams will always need docs. Big college football programs, for example, have three docs (at least) on the sidelines. People always get hurt :) . At Ohio State, they have a doc, resident, etc, at the training room every day for appointments. What I'm rambling about, I guess, is that team docs will always be needed - at all levels. As far as the PM&R goes, I know nothing. I must defer to the others here...

hey stinky tofu,

thanx for the info. i appreciate it. i would like to talk to an orthopod or anesthesiologist who decided to get into PM&R.

my email is [email protected]

thanx.

I'll e-mail you tonight. I remember reading on Medschool.com that you go to University of Wisconsin. The program there isn't very good and I would suggest doing a rotation at one of the better programs.

When I wrote about sideline coverage it is because it takes up a lot of a team doc's time. In most high schools, it is 99% of time, and with pro and college teams that use a hospital based system, it is also a great deal of their team coverage. So, in that situation (sideline coverage) a PT can legally do nothing. PM&R docs are trained to recognize a lot of primary care-type concerns and they make great doctors. I work with and respect PTs, but on the field, they have no say. That's the ATCs job. I don't want to incite a riot here, but it's a point that should be understood, both ways, if we learn to work together.

hey ATC2MD,

whats an "ATC"?

Certified Athletic Trainer

Hey stinky tofu,

thanks for your information. I also would be interested in speaking to one of your contacts in PM & R.

<[email protected]>, attending UHS-COM in the fall.

thanks,

electra

ATCMD,

I have a few questions for you. I was wondering how getting into med school was for you. I am currently in the middle of PT school and, for some reason, I can't get ride of my desire to go to med school. I thought it was just a phase in my last year of undergrad so I went ahead and went to PT school. But I know what I really want to do is go to med school.

If you don't mind asking, what school are you at and where did you apply to? I have heard from lots of people, that having another professional degree such as a PT (unfortunately ATC is not recognized enough) makes getting a little bit harder and the interviews a bit tougher. I would be interested in any of your thoughts about it. Thanks.

Hi there,
I understand the desire that won't go away. I'm not in med school - just applying now.
I'm confused, though, about why having an advanced degree would make it harder to get in.

Are you also an ATC? I would guess so from your name. Why is it unfortunate that athletic training is not recognized when it makes it harder to get in? (I'm very curious to know what you've heard about that).

I don't think it's the degree that makes the big difference (although grad science classes - anat, phys, ex phys, biomech, stats, can't hurt, can they?). It's the experience. ATCs work in very close contact with physicians in a lot of different specialties, so they've had a lot of exposure to medicine in general.

I'm interested to hear more...