Sports medicine text

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sheerstress

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone here recommend a good text for rehabilitation with a sports medicine focus? Specifically, I'm looking for something that does a decent job of explaining pathophysiology and specific rehab/strengthening regimens for various conditions.

I've already got Magee, which focuses more on the assessment aspect of things. I've got a few books written for the layperson in mind, but not necessarily the clinician, and want something that goes deeper.

Members don't see this ad.

check the sports medicine, Patient advisor,. it is not in depth but is a good start and a good book for pt education

regards

Members don't see this ad :)
In spors there are so many injuries!! I have been researching for some sports medicines since some time..I wonder if you have heard about some! :)

One book I find myself referring to fairly often is:

Sports Injuries: Mechanisms, Prevention, Treatment (Hardcover)
by Freddie H. Fu (Editor), David A., M.D. Stone (Editor)

ISBN: 0683304771

It is from an orthopedic perspective, but is pretty comprehensive and readable.

I know that some people on this newgroup aren't big fans of Buschbacher's books, but I like his old sports medicine book. It's older (from 1994), but the basic treatment for many injuries still applies, and I find myself reading it pretty frequently. It's out of print now, but you should be able to find a copy used pretty easily:

Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation: A Sport-Specific Approach
Ralph M. Buschbacher, Randall L. Braddom (Editor)
Hardcover / Hanley & Belfus / February 1994 / 1560531339

The August 2006 issue of PM&R clinics of North America should be coming out in a few months. That might be a good starting point if you want something that is current.

Other good starting points would be to read the sports medicine chapters in Braddom or Delisa, which gives a good overview of rehabilitation priniciples.

I'm currently on my sports medicine rotation and I just picked up the 3rd edition of Clinical Sports Medicine by Brunker and Kahn. It's a 2007 edition so I think it just came out. This book seems by far the most user friendly text I've picked up among other recommended texts. There are EXCELLENT and practical illustrations and chapters on sport specific biomechanics. Each chapter uses a step-wise approach from functional anatomy, to diagnosis and treatement including images of specific rehabilitation techniques and even injections.

I'm super glad I found this book.

I just wanted to add that this book is Australian and refers to treatment options not frequently used in the US. It looks like they're a little ahead of us in some aspects.