Sports Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NLS

Is there a specific specialty in sports medicine in med school, or will I have to specialize in orthropedics? The majority of the med schools I have looked at mention orthropedics and not sports medicine. Will I have to do a fellowship. My goal is to become a physician of a professional sports team.

Members don't see this ad.

NLS:

You may want to consider Osteopathic Medicine. Osteopathic Medicine has opportunities to focus on manipulative techniques which could be valuable in a sports medicine setting.

Good Luck.

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"

My goal is the same as yours, and I happen to be looking at some information about this the other day. A Sports Medicine residency is 1 year in length, you can can go through it after completing either Family prac, internal med, emergency med or orthopedics residencies. You don't need to go Osteopathic for manipulative treatments, it's not a trade secret. Search around on the web, you should find some information.

Members don't see this ad :)
limit, where did you find the info on sportmed being a one year deal. I'm also very interested in this field.

http://medicine.wustl.edu/~residenc/outside/spec/byspec.html

This is just a list of different specialties at some Wash U med school's web site. Click on family practice, emergency med, internal med, or orthopedics, and look for subspecialties. For each of these specialties , sports medicine is a 1 year subspecialty. There are other subspecialties as well of course. Take a look around. There are plenty more sites on the web though.