sports medicine?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by nrddct, Apr 26, 2004.

1. nrddct

nrddct carlover
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    just wondering whats the best field to specialize in to practice in this area?

Also what the estimated salary.

thanks

2. Seaglass

Seaglass Quantum Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well that depends on what type of practice you want to have. Specialties that include a sports med focus include Family practice, Ortho, PM&R, and EM. Each has a different take on it.

So what type of sports med job do you have in mind. Once we know that we can help out more.

C

3. nrddct

nrddct carlover
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I haven't really researched much but thats the direction I want to go to. Working with prof. teams such basketball, football, etc would be pretty cool though...

4. lauren68

lauren68 New Member

That's what I would like to do too, but I haven't figured out what specialty I want to enter. I am about to be an M1 at Georgetown. I'd like to work with a college program or a pro-football team. ~Lauren

5. EMDrMoe

EMDrMoe Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    IM & Peds have fellowships also. You can check out The Physician and Sports Medicine at http://www.physsportsmed.com/fellows.htm . Your true specialty will really determine your salary, because there are VERY few physicians who do 100% sports med. For the majority, they do it because they love it - certainly not for the pay raise! :)

I have toyed with the idea of NOT doing anything with sports med (I was an ATC before med school - hence the name :D ) but realize that I really love it and would miss it in my daily life. I think that gut feeling has to be there. I suppose it has to be there for you to be happy in any specialty/subspecialty!

I agree that we would be able to give more info if we knew what kind of job you were looking for. Good luck & enjoy the journey!
    :luck: