sports medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nrddct

carlover
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering whats the best field to specialize in to practice in this area?

Also what the estimated salary.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well that depends on what type of practice you want to have. Specialties that include a sports med focus include Family practice, Ortho, PM&R, and EM. Each has a different take on it.

So what type of sports med job do you have in mind. Once we know that we can help out more.

C

I haven't really researched much but thats the direction I want to go to. Working with prof. teams such basketball, football, etc would be pretty cool though...

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I would like to do too, but I haven't figured out what specialty I want to enter. I am about to be an M1 at Georgetown. I'd like to work with a college program or a pro-football team. ~Lauren

cg1155 said:
Well that depends on what type of practice you want to have. Specialties that include a sports med focus include Family practice, Ortho, PM&R, and EM. Each has a different take on it.

So what type of sports med job do you have in mind. Once we know that we can help out more.

C

IM & Peds have fellowships also. You can check out The Physician and Sports Medicine at http://www.physsportsmed.com/fellows.htm . Your true specialty will really determine your salary, because there are VERY few physicians who do 100% sports med. For the majority, they do it because they love it - certainly not for the pay raise! :)

I have toyed with the idea of NOT doing anything with sports med (I was an ATC before med school - hence the name :D ) but realize that I really love it and would miss it in my daily life. I think that gut feeling has to be there. I suppose it has to be there for you to be happy in any specialty/subspecialty!

I agree that we would be able to give more info if we knew what kind of job you were looking for. Good luck & enjoy the journey!
:luck: