Sports medicine...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biocmp

I'm a computer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, let me apologize for the silly question. But, how does a doctor go about specializing in sports medicine. I am a very active person with a deep passion to work with athletes as well as the general public. My ultimate goal would be to work with local high school and college sports teams to help and try improve strength through training and nutrition. (of course it would be great to a have a top tier training facility)

Please anyone with information on residencies or additional training/schooling would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not something I've researched, but I do know there are sports medicine fellowships that you can do after a family medicine residency. I'm sure there are other paths to get there, but I don't know what they are.

Members don't see this ad :)
or PM&R, which I think would be your best bet if you want to work with sports teams and don't want to operate (otherwise ortho).

biocmp said:
First, let me apologize for the silly question. But, how does a doctor go about specializing in sports medicine. I am a very active person with a deep passion to work with athletes as well as the general public. My ultimate goal would be to work with local high school and college sports teams to help and try improve strength through training and nutrition. (of course it would be great to a have a top tier training facility)

Please anyone with information on residencies or additional training/schooling would be greatly appreciated.

1-2 fellowship after residency.

Residency must be in:

FM, IM, Peds, EM, or PM&R for a Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship

OR

Ortho for a Surgical Sports Medicine Fellowship

Thank you for the replies. Is the 3 year family medicine residency a requirement before doing a sports medicine fellowship? Does anyone have a comprehensive list of sports medicine? What is the competitiveness of the programs? Once again thank you for the responses. :luck:

biocmp said:
Thank you for the replies. Is the 3 year family medicine residency a requirement before doing a sports medicine fellowship? Does anyone have a comprehensive list of sports medicine? What is the competitiveness of the programs? Once again thank you for the responses. :luck:

Read my post above. You can do specialties other than FM.

Just realize if you take the FP route, you'll be managing diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. during your 3 years of residency while you're true interest seems to lie in musculoskeletal/sports medicine.

J