5+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2010
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hey, don't know if this is the right area but here goes:
I am an EMT and getting my undergrad right now and considering med school.
Is there a speciality that deals with helping physical disabled people to gain movement and/or be able to function normally?
I looked into Physical Therapy and OT but the PT I have observed is mainly doing therapeutic "massages" on the patients and then just giving them a set of exercises to do. I want something more in depth.

Also am thinking of sports medicine.
What kind of track does that look like to become the physician for a sports team or university?

Thanks guys

Kid A

7+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2009
Resident [Any Field]
Seems like physical medicine and rehabilitation is the specialty you are looking for.
Aug 6, 2009
Medical Student
Look into Physical Medicine and Rehab a 4 year residency.

For sports medicine, one completes a residency in family medicine (most of the time) and then completes an additional 1-2 sports medicine program.


Mar 3, 2010
I'm also interested in sports medicine. From what I've found, you just go through med school and do a residency in orthopedics (for surgery) or family medicine (for non-surgery). Then you can do a fellowship somewhere in sports medicine. As far as getting a job, I'd suggest trying to work with any teams you can and look for internships with pro or college teams right now to get a feel for it. A lot of the big jobs (NFL, NBA, etc.) seem like you would probably have to have some connection and a little luck to get in there down the road.


10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Resident [Any Field]
You can also specialize in Sports Medicine after doing a residency in PM&R or Orthopedic Surgery.

In many cases, physicians who cover big professional teams (NBA, NFL, MLB) end up doing the work for free, or even paying the organization. Overall it pays off as a great marketing tool as it is something which is easy to relate to for the common weekend warrior (if you hurt your shoulder playing softball, would you rather go see a physician who you know nothing about, or one who you know nothing about but who is the team doctor for the Cubs?).
Last edited:


Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
Attending Physician
I think its also important to keep in mind that the term "sports medicine" is really general. I would say that a majority of "sports medicine" problems are usually chronic/overuse musculoskeletally related problems. However, there are other topics that are related to sports medicine i.e. return to play, acute fracture care, on the field management, nutrition, sports psychology, and dermatological problems.

If you are interested in musculoskeletal physical examination, diagnosis, and treatment, I would suggest looking into osteopathic medical schools in addition to allopathic medical schools. I'm obviously biased since I'm a physiatrist, but I truly think that we receive the best training when in comes to the musculoskeletal system. You can certainly do a FP, IM, Peds, or ER residency to get into a sports medicine fellowship. I personally was FP bound with plans to do a sports medicine fellowship. However, the more I thought about it, what I was really interested in was the musculoskeletal system and PM&R provides 3 years of training. I did not think that I would be able to get in all of the musculoskeletal training I wanted in just a 1 year fellowship so I ultimately chose PM&R.

Hope this helps!