Sports taking time away from pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mvm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My son is a freshman Bio major at a top school. First semester was a little rocky, but he pulled out of it with a 3.4. This semester he's gotten 2 Fs in his first 2 tests in 2 different classes (Bio and Gen Chem II). That's after the tests were scaled. He tells us that he has ended up studying for one class for a week for a test, falling behind in others, then repeating this with his other classes.

We've been telling his that he needs to get some help with the classes (private tutor) and spend more time doing problems, etc. The only way he could get more time is to give up his sport (running). He's at a D3 school, no scholarship, and he's in the middle of the pack in terms of running ability. He enjoys running for the team and the social aspect of it (team is very close) so pulling himself off the team would be a major embarrassment. He also tends to look on the bright side of things and thinks he can pull the grades up by just doing things a little differently.
Having been in the sciences and engineering and knowing how difficult things are, how can I get across to him that he needs to make major changes or he's going to seriously damage his gpa? He's one of these kids who has never realy struggled with anything and now he thinks he can fix it with small changes and doing everything on his own.

Regarding his school: The classes are difficult and Chem there has a reputation as being super difficult. I was a Chem major for 3 years before switching to engineering. I sat in on his Chem I class during Parents' Weekend and they were teaching them quantum mechanical stuff that we didn't see until P-Chem in Junior year. They have several internet memes about the difficulty of the Chem program there.

If he wanted to do anything else other than go to med school, I wold just let him do what he wants and if he failed then he would learn from the experience. Knowing how med schools review transcripts, I feel I have to give him some guidance so he doesn't have a blown semester on his transcript.

Any advice would be appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

let him be, he's not a high school child any more. he'll figure it out one way or the other.

If his real passion is to get into medical school then he needs to give up running and focus on school work. The full time commitment to sports is a nice EC but it will not make-up any ground for a sub-optimal GPA. As a competitive soccer player, I was offered many D1 scholarships to play soccer all over the country and sadly refused to accept any of them because of the failure I have heard of from sports and school. Instead I attended my state university and played soccer at the junior college for two years during the fall semester where the dedication was not nearly as demanding. For me it gave me the best of both world without sparing my GPA. I can still list it as an EC on my application and say I fully enjoyed it because I did. Obviously the level of competition wasnt nearly as good but it was still a blast.

If you son isn't going to make a passing grade, take a W. If the chem program is too hard and you feel its unfair, go to a different college. Especially if you are paying out of state tuition at the school from a zero scholarship from running.. seems like a waste of time to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
let him be, he's not a high school child any more. he'll figure it out one way or the other.

This

If he really wants to go to medical school, he's gotta start pulling things together for himself.

It is very hard to balance varsity athletics with everything the application process entails, but possible.

you know your parents are pushing you to go into medicine when ....

I play soccer and throw for track at a D2 school. It sounds like your son also is a three season athlete, so feel I can understand the particular time constraints. It comes down to efficient use of time. There are extremely difficult classes at every university, and those who succeed aren't necessarily the ones spending 5 hours a night studying and sacraficing things they love to do so. Have your son start studying more efficiently. Get to class 15 minutes early and review the notes from the previous week. Spend 30 minutes or so every night reviewing concepts (however minute they may seem) from each course. Study on bus rides to meets. If he's struggling with a particular type of problem, he should go to the tutoring center and get quick answers instead of dwelling and eating up precious time that could be spent on other subjects. It definitely can be done (I take 18 credits, 2-3 labs a semester, 25+ hours a week on athletics, and got a 4.0 last semester). The desire HAS to come from him though. Keep being a supportive parent and try to inspire him. Hopefully he can catch up before it's too late! Good luck.

I agree that your son has to learn, on his own, to make efficient use of his time and take advantage of what academic resources are available to him at his school to succeed. Only he can get himself to medical school. I appreciate your concern as a parent, but also keep in mind that he's fresh out of high school. There's much he has to learn by way of life experiences.

As for forcing him to drop running, you can't take that away from him. You're looking at it is as if running is causing all his academic problems when it appears to be a maturity and personal responsibility issue. I imagine if he didn't have running, he wouldn't be as happy and other aspects of his life would begin to suffer. My two cents...