Spouses & Significant Others of Non-Trad Students/Applicants, please read this

OldManDave

Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wish to make you aware of the existence of the National Society for Non-Traditional Pre-Medical & Medical Students <informally known as OldPreMeds>. We are a new, but rapidly growing, non-profit organization who focuses our efforts on gathering and exchanging information that will benefit non-traditional students getting into & succeeding in medical school. We have members who are attendings, residents, med students & pre-meds at all stages who are willing to share their advice, experience and wisdom merely for the asking. We make no differentiation b/t those who are interested in either the allopathic or osteopathic educational paradigms -- we feel the we are all part of the same profession -- the healing arts. OPM does exclude anyone from joining based upon their age -- we welcome mature pre-meds & med students who wish to come & interact with our community.

We have recently added a section dedicated to our spouses & significant others. Like this section of SDN, you will have the ability to interact with others who are in, or are heading into, the same situation as yourself. My wife & the OldPreMeds webmaster moderate this section <Wifty is a new member I noticed as well> and are ailling/able to lend a empathetic ear. Plus, you are welcome to field questions to any member of OPM.

OldPreMeds has recently launched a new web site. It is still a work in progress, but is coming along very nicely. SDN has graciously consented to be our web host & you can find links to our home page in various spots on SDN. Currently, our web developer is building our resources & links sections to be added to the web site very soon. In these areas you will find various study guides and articles offering guidance for both med students & pre-meds.

The web address is: <a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/opm" target="_blank">www.studentdoctor.net/opm</a>

Our 2nd National Convention & Workshop will be held in Dallas, TX this year. The weekend of 30 May through 2 June OldPreMeds will gather to hear presentations and a workshop by several notable speakers that will focus on strategies for the non-traditional applicant. Among our presenters are Dr. John Pelley (TX Tech med school BioChem professor, past Dean of Admissions, author of "Success Types" & pre-med guru) and Jane Anderson (Dir of Admissions for TCOM).

Information on how to join OldPreMeds & attend the 2002 Convention & Workshop in Dallas are both accessible from the web site home page. Membership in OPM is free.

Please drop by & consider joining us. We'd be glad to have you!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question: My husband was a highly non-traditional medical student because he had three children - which set him apart financially, mentally, and emotionally from the vast majority of his swinging single young classmates. He had to be MUCH more mature than other medical students who only had to fend for themselves. Does this qualify him as a non-traditional in your organization? Now that he is an intern he also appears to be highly non-traditional for the same reasons (although now he is the father of four).

Jennifer
I forgot to mention that as far as his chronological age, he was actually YOUNGER than all of his medical school classmates since he started college at 16. Is that also nontraditional?

Dave, I went & enjoyed my stay there! Thanks for letting us know about it!

Jennifer, hey there lady!! I sent you a private message... go check under your profile!! Miss you!

Christy

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by radspouse:
•I have a question: My husband was a highly non-traditional medical student because he had three children - which set him apart financially, mentally, and emotionally from the vast majority of his swinging single young classmates. He had to be MUCH more mature than other medical students who only had to fend for themselves. Does this qualify him as a non-traditional in your organization? Now that he is an intern he also appears to be highly non-traditional for the same reasons (although now he is the father of four).

Jennifer
I forgot to mention that as far as his chronological age, he was actually YOUNGER than all of his medical school classmates since he started college at 16. Is that also nontraditional?•••••Without a doubt, your husband qualifies. In fact, even traditionally aged people are welcome to join, as long as they conduct themselves maturely -- that rule applies to all members, not just the younger sect, although we have yet to have any of these sorts of problems from the non-trad crowd.

Tell your husband he would be very welcome in our organization. Of course, he won't need our "expertise" on getting into or surviving medical school...but his experiences and advise could be of great value to the members who aspire to follow in his footsteps.

You also can join and offer your experiences & wisdom to the other spouses & significant others of our members. Since many of us come with families -- and are there under the grace of their support -- we also value members like yourself!

If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me or reply here.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by im4real:
•Dave, I went & enjoyed my stay there! Thanks for letting us know about it!

Jennifer, hey there lady!! I sent you a private message... go check under your profile!! Miss you!

Christy•••••Thanks! Feel free to refer your members to OldPreMeds and, once that section is active, please drop by and add a link to your organization to our links page.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by OldManDave:
• •••quote:•••••••Without a doubt, your husband qualifies. In fact, even traditionally aged people are welcome to join, as long as they conduct themselves maturely -- that rule applies to all members, not just the younger sect, although we have yet to have any of these sorts of problems from the non-trad crowd.

Tell your husband he would be very welcome in our organization. Of course, he won't need our "expertise" on getting into or surviving medical school...but his experiences and advise could be of great value to the members who aspire to follow in his footsteps.

You also can join and offer your experiences & wisdom to the other spouses & significant others of our members. Since many of us come with families -- and are there under the grace of their support -- we also value members like yourself!

If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me or reply here.•••••Thanks, Dave!

Jennifer

OPM ? Dallas 2002 Convention & Workshop
HOTEL INFORMATION

Best Western North Dallas ? (www.number1hotels.com/tx/dallas/best_western_dallas_north/)

Phone: 972-241-8521

Tell the desk that you are with the OldPreMeds convention.

Hotel Features
? I-35/ Stemmons Freeway, 1/4 mile north of I-635
? $59/night (1-4 people per room- 2 double beds)
? Free shuttle service to/from airports (20 minutes away)
? Meeting space from 30-170 people; free with 20-room block
? Free full breakfast
? Close to Addison Restaurant Row, Galleria Mall, theatres, 15 minutes to Parkland, UTSW, and Children's Hospital, Zale Lipshy, about 10 minutes from Stemmons restaurant row and AMC 24 Grand Theatre

For those of you who know Dallas, you know this hotel is in a nice location -- No. Dallas and has tons of access to more shopping, entertainment and restaurants than you can shake a stick at! Plus, the place offers free airport shuttle service!! Currently, we have 20-room block reserved. All you have to do is call the hotel and tell them that you are with the OldPreMeds convention. If we use up all 20 rooms, and I hope we will, they will automatically add rooms to our block.

Sincerely,

David W Kelley, MS-III, Pres & Chairman
National Society for Non-Traditional
Pre-Medical and Medical Students, Inc.