Spring break and MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KnuxNole

Sweets Addict
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I was gonna take the April MCAT, and started studying for it in January, should I spent some days during Spring Break to study more or take a well-deserved rest?

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on how comfortable you feel with the material at that time.

I was out of town on Spring Break and didn't do anything MCAT related (besides reading during the flight). Although I felt prepared before taking the exam, I could have used that extra time to study more... maybe... :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you are so full of knowledge that you crap out any extra informaton, I say study during your break! This is a really important step in your life and you can afford to give up some break time to prepare for this exam. Of course try to have some fun to, but remember that you would have MORE fun during the upcoming summer if you did well enough on the MCATs so that you don't have to retake it. The break is a great time to take practice exams because you can plan out a whole day with out interruptions.

KnuxNole said:
If I was gonna take the April MCAT, and started studying for it in January, should I spent some days during Spring Break to study more or take a well-deserved rest?

I actually had an awkward experience with that, i studied really hard during break and then burned out and was getting lower scores on my practice tests and i couldn't figure out why i was doing so poorly. So then when classes started back up, i took about 3-4 days off, not even going near the stuff...i did things like hiking, surfing, exercising and it felt really good to live a little...then when i went back over the information i felt ready and focused. Thats my experience but it changes for everyone...

I stayed in town while all my friends left. It was wonderful study time, and I feel like I really made progress. I would probably take one or two more days off, though, if I could do it again. Either way, I'm all for the spring break studying. I got my highest practice score at the end of that week.

I do think it's good to take some time off. I didn't have spring break because I didn't have classes, but I would usually take a practice test on Saturday morning, then take the rest of the day off. If I had, I probably would have planned on slowing down the grind that week but not quitting completely.

In my experience, though, some professors like to load you up with work over spring break so consider that possibility too.