1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

spring semester from hell or doable?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by glamqueen, May 3, 2007.

1. glamqueen

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Phyics 2
    Organic 2
    Biochem
    + Mcat prep class

MCAT in April in time to ED at my instate school...

Am I absolutely insane? I haven't taken Org 1, so I've left my fall light to accomodate either the shock or the elation of either sucking or being good at it. I have Org 1, Physiology and my research seminar then...

Tell me this is doable! Oh yeah - I have a 3.56 that I'd kind of like to make it out alive of all this...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cnoevil

cnoevil good with kids
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    you won't :D

correct me if i'm wrong but how can you take orgo 2 without orgo 1?

4. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've never heard of a person taking organic 2 before taking organic 1.
    This seems like a very bad idea to me.

If you had taken organic 1 last semester, then I'd say your schedule is fine.

5. y8507

2+ Year Member

OP said he/she'll be taking orgo 1 this fall. i think it might suck, but you can do it. my spring of junior year, i took an mcat prep class, bio 2, orgo 2, 2 upper level bio seminars, and an elective. i got a 4.0, and i go to an ivy, so it's doable.

6. lilnoelle

Resident [Any Field]
    Oops... I'm sorry. You mean its not still December and he's already planning next years schedule? (Med school is messing with my brain)

I think the schedule is fine. You might be prepared to take biochemistry your senior year if orgo turns out to be hard on you.

7. cnoevil

cnoevil good with kids
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    did you take biochem, physics 2 and orgo 2 at the same time...thats a $hitload of studying and none of it is related....not to mention mcat prep which the op will probably quit going to because they will need to time to study for the rest of the crap on their plate. i dont recommend it and im an idiot savant.

8. y8507

2+ Year Member

oh i definitely don't recommend it. it won't be fun at all. but it's doable. also, i made a mistake. i took a research seminar instead of bio 2, so my semester was a lot easier than i initially remembered.

OP, do you actually need to take biochem AND phys? i'd suggest not doing one and shifting things around.

9. glamqueen

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Take Phys 2 in the fall, and then just take Organic 2 and Biochem together plus the MCAT prep...I'd really like to still try to make ED for my state school...Is that more doable? I'm a little nervous about Organic 1 though....

10. glamqueen

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I guess I don't technically have to get Biochem done that semester, although it's going to pack my summer out (Micro plus Micro lab plus Biochem), but that should be doable more than packing my spring and still trying to take the MCAT. Good advice, guys. Thanks!

11. lilnoelle

Resident [Any Field]
    This is what I'd do. Are you taking other elective courses? The way I understand it is that you'd only have 10 credit hours with the above schedule - this would (at least as far as my institution is concerned) place you as a part time student, which may affect you as far as financial aid is concerned.

12. glamqueen

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm a nontrad - I have a journalism degree already, so all that matters for me is that I hold part-time status. If I maintain part-time status, I still get all the loans I need. Plus, this might actually work in my favor, because if I just take those two classes plus MCAT prep class, I might even be able to use some of my leftover loan money for it (even as part-time - you can take out the max federal loans etc.).

13. TheAmazingGOB

TheAmazingGOB It ain't easy bein' white
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Add physics lab and ochem lab and getting married 2 weeks after the MCAT and that's me two years ago... Needless to say I retook the MCAT later. The schedule itself is fine, it's the MCAT prep that may kill you. Only take it if you are extremely confident you will do well and are scoring in the mid 30s on practice tests. And if you are doing Kaplan as test prep, get your money back and study on your own using the Exam Crackers books and old AAMC tests.

14. meowkat444

10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I would definitely second those discouraging you from taking orgo II without orgo I. The reality is that you will either have to learn orgo I material on your own by reading the book, or you will just memorize a bunch in orgo II without understanding, which will almost certainly hurt your grade.

15. etsuprinthead

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    i certainly wouldn't take organic and biochem at the same time -- i don't remember too much overlap, but i'd be afraid there would be stuff in biochem that you needed organic to understand.

16. lilnoelle

Resident [Any Field]
    In that case - you don't necessarily need to take biochemistry. Some schools require it, but not all. I'd check into the schools that you plan to apply to as to whether its required.
    I never took biochem in undergrad.

(It will help during your first month in med school, so I'm not going to discourage you from taking it, but its not necessarily required.)

edit: on second thought, if your planning on applying EDP, perhaps you already know that your school requires biochem.

17. glamqueen

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    in microbiology requires biochem....

I am not taking organic 2 wtihout taking organic 1 first. I'm taking organic 1 in the fall, but it's my spring semester 2008 I'm worried about, because that is the semester I plan to mcat prep in....I think I'm going to use Princeton Review too, btw. I have also heard it is better than Kaplan.

18. lilnoelle

Resident [Any Field]
    so, I'm curious, you've already got a degree and are trying to get a second degree in microbiology - but are planning on going to medical school? Why get the second degree?

19. MedStudentWanna

MedStudentWanna Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Psst, read the original post. Barring that, read the posts that cleared it up for posters like you.

20. Revilla

Revilla New Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Glamqueen, we should chat. I'm a nontraditional student with an undergrad degree in Journalism (broadcast) as well. Next spring, I'll be taking Physics II and Genetics with MCAT prep. Fortunately, I can take Biochemistry in the fall. I just finished Organic I by the way and based on my experience, I think the thought of Organic is scarier than the actual class. I think you'll do fine as long as you put some time in and study.

P.S. I'm also taking Physiology in the fall! Are you sure you're not my secret twin? LOL

21. glamqueen

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    How random is that? You are the first person I've "met" or "seen" that is journalism undergrad and going to med school. Are you getting a second undergrad too? Is it worth it? I just thought since I was in school, I might as well earn these classes towards something, and it isn't hard to finish it either. All the classes fit in pretty nicely into my schedule, and I don't really want to sit around and do nothing....like the idea of keeping up with study habits before med school etc.

It's good to hear you say that about Org 1 - I'm terrified. People at my institution make it out like it is some sort of Satanic demon that steals your soul.

So why did you decide journalism wasn't for you? I found the entire profession to be boring....and I had originally been pre-med, but I was weeded out from Gen Chem 1 with a C in it...guess you shouldn't let that stop you!

22. Revilla

Revilla New Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm not getting a second degree. The school I'm at now doesn't yet offer one in Biology or Chemistry. It's a smaller college that used to be a community college, but is now a four-year school. They do offer upper level Bio and Chem courses though and they plan to offer an actual degree in those subjects in the near future, just not by the time I need them.

Organic wasn't exactly a breeze, but it wasn't the voodoo witchcraft others had made it out to be. I enjoyed it more than Gen Chem. I finished the class with a very high A and I'm looking forward to taking Organic II this summer.

Long story short, I left journalism because I discovered an interest in medicine. I can't say I was tired of journalism. It was a very hard decision to make and I struggled with it for a while, but eventually medicine won out. Never regretted it since though.

If you want, I can send you my Organic I notes to supplement your own in the fall. My professor taught the class very well.

23. lilnoelle

Resident [Any Field]
    You may want to look into your schools rules first. This type of thing is usually frowned upon even leading up to disciplinary action. The material your instructor presents, including the notes that you take, can be considered "copywrited material" and therefore shouldn't be released to anyone else. I haven't had any personal experience with this, so can't tell you for sure, but there have been a SDNers that have talked about disciplinary action (maybe even expulsion) due to a similar act.

24. Revilla

Revilla New Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Really? I had no idea. I'll email my professor about it. Thanks for the heads-up!

25. Vvandenn

Vvandenn Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So does my schedule look reasonable for next year?
    • Microbiology
    • Microbiology Lab
    • Organic Chem
    • Organic Chem Lab
    • Statistics
    • Statistics Lab
    • Honors Philosophy
    Total: 15 credit hours

26. lilnoelle

Resident [Any Field]
    How time consuming will your honors philosophy course require?

If it isn't incredibly time consuming, the schedule looks good to me.

27. glamqueen

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    doable. I've taken Stat already and got an A, and Micro is interesting and not impossible (at least at my school), so that helps there. I took regular Philosophy and found it fascinating and got an A, so I agree - as long as honors Phil isn't insane - sounds very doable.

Revilla...if your prof allows you to send notes - I'd welcome them. Private message me, and I'll give you my info.