SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Spring semester grades

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by blingbling, Apr 29, 2001.

1. Should I submit my transcript to AMCAS now or wait until my spring semester grades are in... which should be in late-May or early-June?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Banned Banned

Nov 5, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I am not going to wait until my spring semester grades are available because I have already taken all the premed required classes. If you are taking some important premed classes this semester, I would wait to submit it after the transcript is updated.

My reasoning is that AMCAS can screw things up easily so I wanted to send it to them ASAP so theres more time to follow up on it before it becomes a problem.

4. Yeah I figured it would be a good idea to turn in those transcripts early as well. I'm still taking ochem 2 and have 89 credits (I know some school websites list 90 credit hours).

5. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    Blingbling (great name BTW) -

Since you are still taking pre-med courses, I would suggest waiting until all your grades for those courses are reflected on your transcripts. If your transcripts are sent to AMCAS by mid June it should not significantly affect your application - unless, of course, you do poorly on those courses this semester.

best of luck...

6. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    Yes I am saying that - since many schools will do an initial screen simply based on your gpa. Now having a C in OChem 2 probably won't make a significant difference in your gpa, but it won't help either.

Obviously since the course is required for med school admission you will have to show the grade sometime, but it is not uncommon for students to apply without sending in current transcripts in fear of having a less than stellar grade revealed earlier than needed. If you have almost all of the other requirements done and showing on your transcript, I would imagine that you could apply without the spring semester transcript.

However, I will defer to current applicants and more recent applicants for the definitive word on this because its been awhile for me and the process, regulations etc may have changed.

7. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Banned Banned

Nov 5, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland
    There is no hard and fast rule about transcripts regarding this issue, but many med schools require you to submit another transcript after you are admitted so they can verify that you actually did complete all of their required premed classes.

8. Winged Scapula

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    Sure - no suprise there. I would imagine ALL schools require the submission of a transcript at the very least before you matriculate. This is no excuse to slack off, as I can imagine that some schools may have requirements that you must maintain a certain gpa before matriculating (especially if you are completing some of the pre-med reqs).

However, the issue is whether or not you are required to submit the Spring Semester transcript to AMCAS when you apply. You didn't used to have to. Obviously if have a lot of the pre-med courses on that transcript you'd better submit it, but if its only 1 course - what did others do?