Spring/summer: biochem and orgo 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HipChick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Too much for a summer semester? I'll also be working... Idk what I've gotten myself into!

Members don't see this ad.

I remember taking Orgo 1 and Anatomy + Physiology in a single semester (during the regular year) and it was harsh. How are your grades? Do you believe you can do it? If you're adapt at working heavy loads, do it. It'll actually look nice on your app and you might even consider it a "prep" for med school curriculum.

I'm sure you'll fair fine if you've got a good study ethic. Biochem varies from school to school, but I think the consensus is that it isn't too bad.

Too much for a summer semester? I'll also be working... Idk what I've gotten myself into!

Simultaneously? Biochem uses a lot of ochem. I wouldn't want to try biochem without being thoroughly familiar with Klein's Ochem As A Second Language.

A friend of mine took ochem1 and biochem simultaneously, and she did get A's, but I tutored her a whole lot. In addition to the heavy customized tutoring, she was an absolute wizard at memorizing and that helped her regurgitate stuff on tests correctly that I'm still not sure she understood.

She would have made a good medical student.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok thank you for the honest replies! I think I can do well with both, but I'm not sure of the risk/benefits. I was also considering taking micro/orgo instead. Does that sound more feasible?

Ok thank you for the honest replies! I think I can do well with both, but I'm not sure of the risk/benefits. I was also considering taking micro/orgo instead. Does that sound more feasible?
Micro for me was a lot harder than Biochem...

But isn't Micro a pre req for Biochem at most Universities?... anyways, ask around at your school. See which seems more logical. This has a lot to do with the workloads and professors teaching them.

I would not take biochem before or with ochem. Just my opinion...

I would not take biochem before or with ochem. Just my opinion...

thing is there's wasn't really much of an overlap with ochem with concepts

yes some concepts with chirality with amino acids so far, but other then that really nothing I can note thats crucial

thing is there's wasn't really much of an overlap with ochem with concepts

yes some concepts with chirality with amino acids so far, but other then that really nothing I can note thats crucial

Of course every biochem is different, but mine seemed to have an Important Mechanism once every three weeks. Knowing how to think like an electron pair or a base was important for those portions of the tests. For the rest of the class yeah it was totally independent of ochem.

If you can commit to doing all the problems in Klein's little yellow/green book before classes start (it's a small book) then doing ochem and biochem simultaneously would be doable.

Of course every biochem is different, but mine seemed to have an Important Mechanism once every three weeks. Knowing how to think like an electron pair or a base was important for those portions of the tests. For the rest of the class yeah it was totally independent of ochem.

If you can commit to doing all the problems in Klein's little yellow/green book before classes start (it's a small book) then doing ochem and biochem simultaneously would be doable.

When I took biochem it was pretty heavy in mechanisms. Now that I am in ochem 2 I wish I would have taken a full year of ochem prior to biochem just to make things easier.