SPSS + operating systems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leikcaj

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so this isn't exactly a Psych related question, but probably the best place to ask it anyway. Does anyone know if the SPSS version for Macs is as good as those for PCs? (I think it's v13 vs. v15... not sure if there's that much of a difference). Also, are there any other kinds of software used in Psych research that I should think about re compatibility with different systems?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

That's an excellent question (unfortunately I have no idea). I've been wondering if SPSS works with Vista since I know a lot of things don't right now.

Technology makes life so much more complicated. lol

SPSS 15 does NOT work with vista. There was supposed to be a patch but I don't know if it's been released. I'm guessing this means older versions don't as well.

I don't know about mac-windows compatability for spss (but the screenshots of mac spss sure look different). About other software-- AMOS doesn't have a mac version as far as I know; you have to use EQS or LISREL.

The vista issues is why I'm having a hell of a time finding a laptop-- everything in stores comes loaded with vista. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
spss doesn't have a version for macs with intel chips, i think it is supposed to come out this fall.

This is why its helpful to have both a windows desktop and an apple laptop. I get the best of both worlds!

Although it will be nice when they come out with a version for apple w/ intel chips, that way I could have the portability.

Correct me if I'm wrong since I'm a PC guy, but isn't it possible to run a Windows shell within Mac OS? I know it slow things down a chunk but unless you're running some seriously complicated analyses that shouldn't matter too much.

I assume this is for personal use and not the lab, so this probably matters less, but just in case you're curious alot of computer administered Rx time programs are windows only.

I plan to stick with PCs, since I think I'll have less software compatability issues, all the labs at my school are windows-based, and I can make Windows systems dance to my every command, whereas I'm pretty useless on a Mac.

Anyone have a convincing pro-Mac argument for grad school? I'm buying a new laptop soon, so if someone has a good reason to go Mac I'd love to hear it. All I ever get from my friends with Mac laptops is "Macs are better" or "I bought it because its cute".

Well, as someone who recently went to the other side and got a Mac laptop, there are alot of benefits to it. For one, on the new intel chips, I installed windows on a second partition of my hard drive, and i can boot either to windows (and theoretically run SPSS) or to macOS. I have noticed that my mac boots at least 5 times faster than my pc, although that could have to do with the desktop thats 5 years old versus a brand new laptop.

If you are not already that excited about macs, and are used to windows, then i would say stick with windows. For me, it was exciting to learn all the cool little things in macOS, and to be able to say that I can work in either environment. But since im a huge nerd, I don't expect most people to be that way:hungover:

I run SPSS 11.0.4 on my Mac no prob. There's another stats program designed specifically for Macs with neat graphics and such - called JMP.

m

PS I :love:my Mac

SPSS 15 does NOT work with vista. There was supposed to be a patch but I don't know if it's been released. I'm guessing this means older versions don't as well.

I don't know about mac-windows compatability for spss (but the screenshots of mac spss sure look different). About other software-- AMOS doesn't have a mac version as far as I know; you have to use EQS or LISREL.

The vista issues is why I'm having a hell of a time finding a laptop-- everything in stores comes loaded with vista. :(

Thanks, good to know.

You should check out ComputerTrends on ummm St James I think. They do refurbished systems that still have XP. I think I'm gonna get a new desktop from there, and I've heard really good things about them.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm a huge computer geek as well. I think its great to be able to work in multiple environments and I'm sure I can figure it out if I ever have to, but given the time constraints in grad school to me it makes more sense to stick with what I know, unless there is a practical reason for switching. And like I said, I haven't had anyone give me one yet (sorry, the possibility that it may boot up faster isn't enough;) ), so I was curious.

As an SPSS & Mac user for the past 10 years, I can say with certainty that the SPSS technology for the Mac is always behind that for the PC. It supports fewer features, and it has historically run much slower on the Mac than on the PC.

I don't think it will be any better when the new version comes out for the intel-based mac. I've switched over to Stata, which does run on my MacBook. And while I'm still trying to teach myself the code, I think that it's a much more powerful program than SPSS.

Good luck!

Anyone have a convincing pro-Mac argument for grad school? I'm buying a new laptop soon, so if someone has a good reason to go Mac I'd love to hear it. All I ever get from my friends with Mac laptops is "Macs are better" or "I bought it because its cute".

I would wait and see what your department supports. In my grad department, we were all Mac - for technical support reasons alone, our department tech staff were much more helpful in trouble-shooting Mac problems than they were for the PC. Of course, you can always rely on University-wide tech support - but the department people will know you personally and will therefore be more willing to personalize their service.

At least, that was my experience!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a big tech guy as well and I thought about going Mac with my next laptop but I think I am going to go for a tablet PC instead. Does anyone have one of those? I use my laptop to take notes in class and it looks ideal for classes like statistics where sometimes you want to type and othertimes you want to write something out!

I would wait and see what your department supports....

Our school runs both pc and mac platforms. The department IT and university IT people are pretty well versed in both platforms.

I have both a pc and mac in my office....the mac is rarely even turned on, but I do need it for specific applications.

My understanding is that mac's can run dual platforms simultaneously, but I have never tried it.

I can't speak to spss 15 (yet, I think our license renewal/upgrade is in June/July), but I use version 14 on both pc and mac -- no real concerns, although as others mentioned there are more features available on the pc. I can run analyses on the mac and the pc can open/read/edit, etc.

So far, I've only used eqs on a pc, but it is available for mac.

Regardless of all the above, you want a platform that will effectively interact with whatever your lab is running.

Now, hearing the issues with vista and spss is concerning.....

I can't speak to spss 15 (yet, I think our license renewal/upgrade is in June/July), but I use version 14 on both pc and mac -- no real concerns, although as others mentioned there are more features available on the pc. I can run analyses on the mac and the pc can open/read/edit, etc.

I HATE HATE HATE SPSS 14. They made too many things syntax-only in 14 (hello, I am NOT typing out or even copy-pasting syntax to run over 50 MANOVAs). 15 is so much nicer, though they hid all of the stuff I use under 'legacy options'. Is SPSS calling me old? :rolleyes:

I also agree with dragonstyle above. Mac laptop + PC desktop is a great combination. I have a G4 ibook that is great with battery life - perfect for taking to the library to hunt down ancient articles.

Is SPSS a program you can only get as a professional? I've used it at school for a class, and I rather liked it. I wanted to get it to use at home, mainly to use for projects and such, and also to learn on. However, when I go to the site, it says it's close to $1600. I can't afford that.

Right now, I'm an undergrad. Just kinda looking for info on it.

Thanks.

Is SPSS a program you can only get as a professional? I've used it at school for a class, and I rather liked it. I wanted to get it to use at home, mainly to use for projects and such, and also to learn on. However, when I go to the site, it says it's close to $1600. I can't afford that.

Right now, I'm an undergrad. Just kinda looking for info on it.

Thanks.

If you're an undergrad, you can purchase a student version (<$100) of SPSS, although you typically have to submit proof of your student status. There is also a graduate pack (more advanced than the basic version) that costs approx. $200 but is sometimes a bit difficult to locate in-stock.

If you're an undergrad, you can purchase a student version (<$100) of SPSS, although you typically have to submit proof of your student status. There is also a graduate pack (more advanced than the basic version) that costs approx. $200 but is sometimes a bit difficult to locate in-stock.

Thanks much. I appreciate your help. :)

I'd STRONGLY encourage you NOT to buy the student version. It only allows something like 50 variables and 1500 cases. If you're doing a research project you're very likely to go over at least one of those limits. Get the Grad Student version instead. It has no limits and I think it comes with AMOS.

Hi all, this may be old news but I thought I'd put it here in case anyone doesn't know yet. Dell has decided to offer XP on their dimension desktops until the end of the year. So for anyone in need of a computer (but not in need of the Vista headache regarding SPSS and other programs), it might be a good move.

It is really sad when they have to do that, but it does make me wonder if Vista is just Windows ME all over again. I run Vista and it really feels like it sometimes, and overall I miss XP and I have been thinking of "upgrading" back.

Still, eventually everything will probably be on Vista, so I don't know. It is painful right now, let me tell you.

It is really sad when they have to do that, but it does make me wonder if Vista is just Windows ME all over again. I run Vista and it really feels like it sometimes, and overall I miss XP and I have been thinking of "upgrading" back.

Still, eventually everything will probably be on Vista, so I don't know. It is painful right now, let me tell you.

I don't know if this is true, but I've heard that once you have Vista you can't go back to XP 'cause it doesn't let you "reverse-upgrade".

I thought Vista would be so great, but after a salesguy talked my mom into buying a laptop with it and we got it home and realized that virtually no games have patches yet, I've decided I hate it. I'm sticking with XP as long as possible.

I've never bought a dell before, so here goes nothing! lol

Vista is pretty, but it still lacks a lot in the compatibility area. It is very hit and miss, even with major brands. When XP first came out, it was the same. SP 1`and a few security updates made it a lot more stable and compatible. I think it is too early to get Vista, unless you NEED a computer right now, and don't want to do the upgrade later.

-t

I do love the little gadgets that you can put on the desktop. :laugh:

Based on my limited experiences with Vista, its more bells and whistles than actual functionality.

I agree with t4 though, give it another year(ish) and it will likely be fine.

I hate this pressing need companies feel to make their OS "pretty" instead of good. I don't care about pretty. ****, give me a DOS-based system, as long as it does everything I need it to I don't care.

Also - I don't know if you can directly downgrade to XP, but I'm sure if you just backup data and format you can get XP back on the system.

Does anyone else desperately wish for a "Windows Lite" or something? All I need is windows compatability with no graphic nonsense. An operating system should not take up 1 GB of HD space and need a gig of RAM and a bunch of video memory! Your operating system should not be bogging down processing....

My heaven: Windows, no bigger than 30 megs installed, taking up no more than a few megs of ram, requiring no video card. I'd even be willing to pay as much as Vista costs, just for the compactness.

I'd STRONGLY encourage you NOT to buy the student version. It only allows something like 50 variables and 1500 cases. If you're doing a research project you're very likely to go over at least one of those limits. Get the Grad Student version instead. It has no limits and I think it comes with AMOS.

Yep, Graduate Pack includes the SPSS Base pack, SPSS Regression, SPSS Advanced Models, and Amos . . . among other things. I recall there being some other crap in there as well that might be semi-useful to some individuals.