St. Agnes EM residency in Fresno......anyone know if they've gotten AGME approval?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oligodinero

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was just wondering if anyone knew if St. Agnes was able to get approved yet. Their website says they're anticipating accepting applications via ERAS this fall pending approval....but it's said that for months now.

Members don't see this ad.

Was just wondering if anyone knew if St. Agnes was able to get approved yet. Their website says they're anticipating accepting applications via ERAS this fall pending approval....but it's said that for months now.

The real question is does Fresno need another EM residency?

Reactions: 6 users
The real question is does Fresno need another EM residency?

I hear you...but the valley is way underserved and the ERs there have a really hard time attracting and retaining BC/BE EM docs. Plus, IIRC, the UCSF residency in Fresno is a 4 year program, right? The new one will be 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear you...but the valley is way underserved and the ERs there have a really hard time attracting and retaining BC/BE EM docs. Plus, IIRC, the UCSF residency in Fresno is a 4 year program, right? The new one will be 3.

And how does another residency address that issue? how do they plan to retain graduates in the area if none of the push/pull factors have changed?

I mean look how many underserved neighbourhoods in urban areas have residencies - Southside chicago, East LA, South Bronx, Baltimore, Philly all have a plethora of EM residencies and they haven't been any less underserved.

Reactions: 2 users
And how does another residency address that issue? how do they plan to retain graduates in the area if none of the push/pull factors have changed?

I mean look how many underserved neighbourhoods in urban areas have residencies - Southside chicago, East LA, South Bronx, Baltimore, Philly all have a plethora of EM residencies and they haven't been any less underserved.

They could try, you know, the law of supply and demand whereby they raise physician pay to $400/hr? I'm sure the hospital would get plenty of docs to stay.

Reactions: 4 users
They could try, you know, the law of supply and demand whereby they raise physician pay to $400/hr? I'm sure the hospital would get plenty of docs to stay.
But it’s cheaper to hire Jenny McJennyson, FNP. After all, she took ACLS, a “procedure course”, and went to Essentials of EM (after receiving a midlevel discount).

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Lol so your solution is to start a residency?

Reactions: 1 users

Just start a residency at every hospital. Can't be understaffed with all that free labor. Taps forehead.

Who gives a damn if there's anywhere for them to go after?

• Haha

I worked in the valley prior to med school and would very much like to go back there for residency. If another program opens there and increases my chances of matching out there then I'm all for it. One could also argue that the lack of physicians willing to work in the valley is driving hospitals and ER groups to hire MLPs.

I'm not trying to start crap, I was just asking if anyone had heard anything regarding the status of the program.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like a fake news residency.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using SDN mobile

Lol. K. Let them pay more. I'm sure they will get physicians if they do.

Sounds like a fake news residency.

Maybe. I reached out to their clinical coordinator last fall to see about auditioning there and she told me they weren't going to offer any auditions for their first class of residency

Fresno strikes me as the kind of place that it wouldn't be hard to find a job.

Pay us properly. That's what it comes down to.

Fresno isn't the kind of happening place that people are dying to move to.

Pay us properly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked in the valley prior to med school and would very much like to go back there for residency. If another program opens there and increases my chances of matching out there then I'm all for it. One could also argue that the lack of physicians willing to work in the valley is driving hospitals and ER groups to hire MLPs.

I'm not trying to start crap, I was just asking if anyone had heard anything regarding the status of the program.

My California geography may be a little rusty, but isn’t there already 3 residencies in the central Valley?

UCSF - Fresno
Kaweah Delta
Bakersfield

My California geography may be a little rusty, but isn’t there already 3 residencies in the central Valley?

UCSF - Fresno
Kaweah Delta
Bakersfield
And st joseph’s in stockton
And kaiser in modesto is starting one

Fresno strikes me as the kind of place that it wouldn't be hard to find a job.

Pay us properly. That's what it comes down to.

Fresno isn't the kind of happening place that people are dying to move to.

Pay us properly.

All the cons of California living and taxes without any of the benefits. Sign me up

All the cons of California living and taxes without any of the benefits. Sign me up

To be fair, for some Cali EXplants whos only goal is to get back west, Central Valley is a solid option.

We have a few non-em people in my class who’d rank a microwaved potato above Harvard if it meant being near their family.

UCSF - Fresno
Kaweah Delta
Bakersfield

ACGME?

Kaweah and Bakersfield were DO programs.

Let's see how it goes....

HH

I think KD is a straight MD program as well. Could be wrong though...they are 4 years

ACGME?

Kaweah and Bakersfield were DO programs.

Let's see how it goes....

HH
Has DO residents but is and always has been acgme. Bakersfield refers to Kern county which has also always been acgme.

How likely is a CA Explant DO out of region who has below-average to average application to match back to CA? I checked my school's matching list and no one in the past 10 years matched into a CA EM program.

How likely is a CA Explant DO out of region who has below-average to average application to match back to CA? I checked my school's matching list and no one in the past 10 years matched into a CA EM program.

There will probably be another new ten CMG sweatshops flooding the market you can just walk into by the time you apply.

There will probably be another new ten CMG sweatshops flooding the market you can just walk into by the time you apply.
examples of current sweatshop program in CA? And why CMG specifically?

I would suggest creating a new thread or finding a thread more similar to your question than this thread discussing "St Agnes Medical Center"

I hear you...but the valley is way underserved and the ERs there have a really hard time attracting and retaining BC/BE EM docs.

Fix the ERs then.

Left and right ER doctors are losing hours since Corona. New grads from 2020 were seen to lose their existing job offers. Rates have been falling at most places.

Stop the madness. There is no shortage of ER doctors. We don't need more ER residencies. It is an ER physician that eventually takes up the role of program director to start a new program. It's our fault. Why can't we all just refuse new program by the HCAs and envisions of the world. They cannot create a program without us agreeing to it. Each time we help create another residency, we put another nail into the coffin of our specially.

Just stop this madness. 4-5 years ago, edphysician had 8-10 pages of Texas jobs. Today it's 3. Tomorrow there will be none -_-

Just stop this madness. 4-5 years ago, edphysician had 8-10 pages of Texas jobs. Today it's 3. Tomorrow there will be none -_-

Agree. We already have way too many docs in the ER. FP, IM, NP, PA. I'm not even sure I'm part of a specialty anymore. Cannot for the life of me imagine exactly why did my residency. I sit in the hospital just generate billing events for private equity. ACEP has lost control of emergency medicine. If I had to do it over again, I would have likely become a surgeon that was not depending upon the hospital. I am sure ophthalmology is facing their own pressures that I unaware of, However, many of them seem to operate in their own practices outside hospital systems. No one shows up and says "I am family medicine and I can do ophthalmology and I am just as good as the Ophthalmologist!"

Agree. We already have way too many docs in the ER. FP, IM, NP, PA. I'm not even sure I'm part of a specialty anymore. Cannot for the life of me imagine exactly why did my residency. I sit in the hospital just generate billing events for private equity. ACEP has lost control of emergency medicine. If I had to do it over again, I would have likely become a surgeon that was not depending upon the hospital. I am sure ophthalmology is facing their own pressures that I unaware of, However, many of them seem to operate in their own practices outside hospital systems. No one shows up and says "I am family medicine and I can do ophthalmology and I am just as good as the Ophthalmologist!"
There's no need, they have a whole other field doing that: optometry

They're also getting smacked on cataract surgery, reimbursement wise.

My 2 cents:
- have spent a lot of time in Fresno.
- Fresno is not that bad of a place. You can have great weekend trips to the beach, Tahoe, Yosemite, LA, multiple other national parks, etc... Is it as exciting as *insert coastal CA city*? No, but its not a bad place to live and work.
- Central Valley already has some of the highest paying EM jobs in CA. You will make way, way better money than most of your coastal colleagues. And work less shifts.
- I've heard form a few docs that work at St Agnes and all have been super positive about it. Sounds like a diamond in the rough.
- I didn't consider the other Fresno program because it was 4 years. A 3 year program there would have seriously tempted me.
- easy transition from residency into a local job that pays well. Lots of open positions in the area = you have a lot more bargaining power

On the flip side, ABEM needs to start limiting the number of new residency programs. Its getting out of control. With increasing waves of residents graduating and corona decimating volumes, the pay in popular cities is going to continuously fall while the pay in less popular cities (aka Fresno) will be more resistant to this.

Also ACEP is in bed with CMGs and private equity and its disgusting and unethical, and will long term result in the destruction of EM.

The Fresno Madera metropolitan area has about a million people in it. There's plenty of smaller areas that support two programs.

Regardless EM as a whole is extremely saturated. We don't need new residencies anywhere

Regardless EM as a whole is extremely saturated. We don't need new residencies anywhere
Now, I'm not up to date on the dynamics of EM practice across the US, but as far as I'm aware (and I have a reasonable idea for that particular region), the Central Valley isn't.

The market as a whole is becoming saturated. Opening more programs is irresponsible. If you think that the majority of graduates of this program are going to stay in the Fresno area, you are sorely mistaken. Just because smaller markets have a EM programs doesn’t mean those markets are supporting them and creating an optimal educational experience.

The market as a whole is becoming saturated. Opening more programs is irresponsible. If you think that the majority of graduates of this program are going to stay in the Fresno area, you are sorely mistaken. Just because smaller markets have a EM programs doesn’t mean those markets are supporting them and creating an optimal educational experience.
A significant majority of doctors stay in the state where they did residency. I'm not aware of data regarding staying in the given metro area, but it's a significant proportion of those too anecdotally.

I won't comment on the saturation or not of the EM job market as a whole.

A significant majority of doctors stay in the state where they did residency. I'm not aware of data regarding staying in the given metro area, but it's a significant proportion of those too anecdotally.

I won't comment on the saturation or not of the EM job market as a whole.

I mean think about it for a second. Let's say we add a second program. Now Fresno is pumping out 20-24 residents a year. Where exactly do they all go? We can really only work in EDs. Sure maybe FSEDs, although those are essentially burning to the ground. Urgent cares and minute clinics are full of pretend level providers. One year and every job in Fresno would be taken. Where do those 24 keep going? Especially when all other places keep dumping out just as many.

Reactions: 3 users
I mean think about it for a second. Let's say we add a second program. Now Fresno is pumping out 20-24 residents a year. Where exactly do they all go? We can really only work in EDs. Sure maybe FSEDs, although those are essentially burning to the ground. Urgent cares and minute clinics are full of pretend level providers. One year and every job in Fresno would be taken. Where do those 24 keep going? Especially when all other places keep dumping out just as many.

Bravo for "pretend-level providers".