St. Christophers college of medicine, GOOD or BAD??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DR.T

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to St. Christophers college of medicine. You do your first 2 years in the UK and the last 2 in the US. I was wondering if there is anybody out there that has valuable information on this school that would help me make my decision. Any Residents, alumni or current students???

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I'm glad that someone else knows about that college. Unfortunately I can't help you much about it. But if you don't mind, I think you can help me out because I haven't applied yet and I was just wondering what my chances of getting in there were. So do you think u can provide me with your stats and what you needed to apply that would be very appreciated.

Their web site is primitive, I couldn't find any infomation.

Anyone know when this medical school was established?

Members don't see this ad :)
i am not an expert, but i have read and participated in some debates re. this school on another forum. from what i can tell it is 2-4 years old, and operating on a charter from senegal, but having classes in england.

the students that i have heard from love it there, but they are rather defensive. i have heard no complaints about the education they are recieving. the two issues that i have heard discussed most recently is 1. that they tout themselves as an english school with affiliations with several english universitys, and 2. that they are operating outside the country of charter.

the first issue is based on the fact that they rent space from luton and claim that they are affiliated with some other english med schools. in reality it seems they are renting space, which is fine, but not an affiliation. seems a little nitpicky, but legit schools are truly legit and not misleading. for example, if st. georges has a visiting professor from harvard give a lecture, they do not claim harvard affiliation. not a big deal, really, but it is good to be wary of schools that try to mislead from the get-go.

the second issue is the main one, in my eyes. some states do look at your passport to see if you attended med school in the country of charter. if it is chartered in senegal and you were in england, that may raise some flags. the school has a limited number of grads out there (i think they are transfers) and they claim no problems so far. but, i think this should weigh heavily into your decision. if you do not want to be limited where you can practice, you may want to reconsider.

now, all my info is based on discussions on other boards with students who attend and others who think the school is terrible for its "false advertising". so, please take it with a grain of salt. my gut impression is that the school will be fine in most states over time, but prob not the biggies (such as CA.) and i do feel that these issues are pretty small...but it is a young school, so it is best to be careful. good luck!

Try to find out if the school has a listing in the World Directory of Medical Schools. Without that, you cannot get licensed in the US. The Directory is a United Nations publication. I do not have an address but I am sure it can be located. I cannot imagine what the school does in the US, but whatever it is, that doesn't and never will qualify it an LCME approved US medical
school.
My advice is don't spend money on such places when there are plenty of foreign medical schools with a track record of educating Americans who do get licensure. Why spend time and money on something of unknown quality and value?