St. Elizabeth Caritas -Boston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chefgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I am just trying to see if anyone knows anything about this program. The information online and on SDN is sparse, and all I could gather is that it's IMG-heavy (I am a DO). However, the location is desirable for me. Has anyone else interviewed here? Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, everyone. I am just trying to see if anyone knows anything about this program. The information online and on SDN is sparse, and all I could gather is that it's IMG-heavy (I am a DO). However, the location is desirable for me. Has anyone else interviewed here? Any opinions?

Hi there. I attended Tufts and rotated through St. Elizabeth's as a med student, although as a disclaimer I was there for medicine and not psychiatry. The rumor from the residents there was that the teaching was not great and the residents tended to be used more as work horses. Didactics were constantly cancelled and not protected. The quality of the residents I encountered was quite variable, more so than at other programs in the area.

My advice to you would to have your antenna up for the issues I mentioned above. There are other stronger programs (i.e. all the other programs in the Boston area). Tufts has a tendency to be very IMG and DO friendly, as is BU, Harvard South Shore. Good luck!

Caritas is in an old Catholic hospital in Boston. I interviewed there a few years ago and remember the hospital is a few blocks away from an above ground tram, several miles from downtown Boston.
It is IMG heavy and they will offer several pre-matches to IMG's.
I had a friend there and the intern year IM rotation can be rough & long.
It's very clinically oriented but I believe they share some didactics with the other Tufts program. If you get a chance to be mentored by Daniel Carlat, that may be worth it in itself.
I remember the people their being very friendly and overall happy the later they are in their training.
Although Harvard South Shore is in Brockton, it has top notch IMGs and not overly competitive. You can stay in Quincy and have more potential career opportunities, that is if you don't mind the VA.