Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

St. George's KBTGSP or risk waiting! please advise

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by zaidss786, 05.14.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. zaidss786

zaidss786

Pre-Medical
    I am a Canadian with a 3.85 gpa in my undergrad, I just graduated and have been accepted into the Keith, B. Taylor Global Scholar program from SGU. Meaning i will be spending one year in england before i go to the carribean. I have written my MCAT 3 times, with a 28 followed by 26 and then 26, this i know has taken a big toll on my application even though i have a outstanding GPA. Should i risk applying to USA medical schools or should i go to SGU in August. Please advise.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gonnif

gonnif Only 1425 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Have you considered US DO schools?

4. zaidss786

zaidss786

Pre-Medical
    I have considered DO schools, those are prob the only schools that will accept be based on the 26. Even than do i have chances of getting into DO schools ? Is getting into DO ALOT better than getting into SGU ?
    The match list for SGU looks like most people are getting into Family med and Internal Med. If I want to do those is SGU vs DO a big difference ?

5. BrawnsNBrain

BrawnsNBrain Twitter: @BrawnsNBrain

Medical Student
    Please do your research on the forums. There are loads of threads on carribean medical schools VS. DO Schools, and it's too much for someone to simply post and reiterate when you have the ability to find it all yourself :)

EDIT: You have a shot at DO with a 26 MCAT, and if you apply this cycle you'll likely have some IIs. You do not have a realistic shot at a US MD school with your 26. Do your research before picking a carribean medical school or any medical school for that matter. Good luck!

InGen and gyngyn like this.
  6. Harpsx

Harpsx x 2+ Year Member

Risk waiting one year to apply to US DO, or risk wasting 4 years in the Caribbean + tuition and be unable to match into a residency? There is a lot of information around this forum about this risks of heading to the Caribbean that you should definitely think twice about before making your choice. I agree with the poster above, definitely do some research here! Good luck.

7. radian313

radian313 SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You can message me if you have specific questions about SGU....I am came back from SGU as I had health issues....applying to DO schools now...

8. zaidss786

zaidss786

Pre-Medical
    If i were to write my MCAT once more I have a date for late June, meaning i will get my mark for it late july. When should i apply for DO schools ? wait for my mcat score to be released and then apply ? or just apply with my 26 on June 1st (the day the applications open?)

Ps. Do most DO schools look at top MCAT mark ? or most recent ?

9. radian313

radian313 SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Have everything in to submit and apply with primary and old MCAT score to a school you dont care about or atleast your least preferred school, retake your mcat, if the score is good then apply to all the other schools and update them when it comes. This will save you 6 weeks worth of time in getting your primary verified. Most schools look at the top scores last time I checked. DO cycles run till late, I am taking my MCAT again on August/Septemberish and I will apply to all the schools....just need to make sure I do well...multiple attempts on the MCAT are looked down upon versus one that is solid yet a month or two late....jsut my 2 cents

About the ads