1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

St. George's University c/o 2021

Discussion in 'SGU Premedical Forum (Sponsored)' started by eye.heart.medicine, Mar 21, 2017.

1. eye.heart.medicine

Medical Student
    Hi, all!

I have officially accepted my admission offer for St. George's University School of Medicine for Fall 2017!

Thought I'd make this forum to get together prospective and enrolled students of SGU's School of Medicine c/o 2021. Here, we can discuss comments, questions, and concerns with one another!

Anyone else accept their offer? Considering accepting? Applying? Interviewing?

I've gone through the process so I could be of assistance in terms of application/interview!

:welcome:

cellsaver and Akenya20 like this.
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Frogger27

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Run while you still can

4. Medic741

Medical Student
    DON'T

frosted2 and LePepe like this.
  5. Akenya20

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've been accepted through the Charter Foundation Program, so while I will be in Grenada beginning in August, I will not officially begin the medical school curriculum until January.

6. Like

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am currently finishing up first term, so feel free to shoot me any questions.

I think it is a viable option if you know what you are doing, and are realistic about it. However, the naysayers aren't without substance either. The coursework is extremely strenuous, and many people in my class won't even make it to Term 2 come August. We started with around 500, and about 30 have already disappeared. There are not enough hours in the day to grasp/memorize/understand all the concepts, and the future seems very uncertain (this may be true for all, if not many medical schools). In order to move on to Term 2, you need to have a minimum GPA of 70. From Term 2, and onwards, your cumulative GPA needs to be at least a 75. We were only told this once we got here, so do your best from the get go.

Grenada is fairly safe, and the supermarkets have almost everything that someone from a 1st world country could want or need.

#5 Like, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    cellsaver and rey123 like this.
  7. CharlieBillings

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

A while ago somebody posted an account of the living difficulties that come with living in a Caribbean area. Could you comment on that?

Stuff like toilets backing up, power going out often, internet difficulties, weather, etc..?

8. Like

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Term 1 & 2 (upper termers can also apply) are guaranteed on campus housing. With that said, there's an application (Shor) that we use to report any maintenance problems. They are very quick to send someone over to help you out. I haven't heard of anyone having a toilet back up. I've only had issues with my toilet constantly flowing, and stove top malfunctioning, which they fixed the day after I had reported them. We did have a scheduled power outage in a few buildings once. Wi-fi all across campus is pretty on-point, but you do have those few rare moments where it can be slow or not work for up to 20 minutes. A cleaning lady comes twice a week to mop the floors, clean the stove top, sink, and bathroom. Even if you decide to move off of campus, most places provide you with a weekly cleaning service. Up in the mountains there may be issues with faucet pressure, but that's about it. Weather so far has been really good, although I can't speak for the rest of the year. It takes some adjustment as with any living situation.

The main difficulty that I've encountered is the USMLE style computerized exams, presentation of information, topic concentration in exam questions, and really time consuming (preparation) small group (lab) sessions. Also, there was a Mac update a few days prior to our last exam, and the software we use for the exams, wasn't quite compatible with said update. My Mac crashed five times on me, but the good thing is that the software lets you restart where you had left off.

Also, since there are so many of us, there is really no difficulty finding a date, or a group of friends to hang out with. So you really won't be lonely unless you were a loner to begin with. To be honest, I sometimes forget that I am off-shore.

Isoval likes this.
  9. Like

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Oh and they're allowing us to repeat Term 1, free of charge I believe (not housing though). There's a program called IAP for anyone struggling after the first exam, where they provide you with more individualized learning. I am pretty sure, it's available for Term 2, and maybe for Term 3. So, that's where all the missing people have gone, of which there's probably around a hundred now.

Isoval likes this.
  10. JibsGuy52

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Run while you still can.

chunkyfilms, Goro, zukunft195 and 3 others like this.
  11. WolfLarson

It honestly doesn't sound too bad. At least in terms of living.

Who do you think succeeds best? Do you think students who did better in undergrad are in a better position to succeed? How difficult is it to pull off a 75% overall at SGU?

12. Like

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    In my experience, non-trads seem to be doing the best in terms of test scores. Then again, out of the non-trads, a lot seem to have PhDs/Masters in sciences. Some exceptional students also did really well in undergrad, achieving not only high GPAs but also outlier-tier MCAT scores. These are the people that would have succeed in US medical schools with no issues, but everyone has their own unique reason for being here.

I had solid enough stats to attend a public US MD school, and I'm scoring average ~B. If you go to class, and put in 5-8 hours of study afterwards, you should be on your way to academic success. It's also variable on the person, as some students don't need to study all that much at all, and pull off a 90+ each exam.

WolfLarson likes this.
  13. WolfLarson

I am a non-trad in the sense that I did a second undergrad after screwing up my first one. Had a 2.8 GPA in my first degree have a 3.7 in the last two years of my second degree. I also have a 509 MCAT (125/126/130/128). Will that make my chances of succeeding harder? What is your opinion?

14. Like

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That really should not impede your chances of making it through. However, do know that it's very tough out here. I think about half of the starting class doesn't make it to graduation. I don't mean to deter you, as maintaining good grades is not impossible, but what's asked if you isn't always very straightforward.

WolfLarson likes this.
  15. samac

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That. That's the reason people speak negatively about the school.

16. Like

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Externally, yes. Internally, there are many more problems not fathomable nor revealed to the outside world. It is what it is, though. I'm not going to disillusion myself, and pretend everything is alright just because I'm on this ship. However, the points made by people outside of this school seem to be rooted in some sort of self-pride (regardless of which statistics they like to bring up) more so than anything. People want to make themselves feel good, even if it's at the expense of others. I see this with my classmates all the time.

d1md likes this.
  17. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor
    Moderator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Pre-meds are a vulnerable population. Letting students spend time and resources on a predictable failure for a significant minority is the reason I recommend extreme caution. I do not feel good when naive applicants are harmed.

ReapPremed, caesars palace and Goro like this.
  18. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    No, it's that when we see people who are about to be fleeced by con artists, we have the urge to do the right thing and warn them about what they're getting into, and why it's such a poor idea.

19. WolfLarson

such as?

20. d1md

Pre-Medical
    I am considering applying, do you mind sharing what your stats were? mcat gpa?

21. d1md

Pre-Medical
    cumulative 70? what does that mean? Sorry I'm not familiar with the specific course load, what is that in terms of a 4.0 scale?

22. samac

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    A 70 is a 70%. Just as written. It would be a C average, 2.0.
    I highly recommend attempting to go to a school in the US.
    Edit: I’m dumb and can’t type

#21 samac, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  23. d1md

Pre-Medical
    Okay i didnt realize the 70 was a percentage, I feel silly for asking now haha.

And I can tell you feel very strongly about that, thank you for your advice!

24. samac

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sorry about the typo there on the advice. I’m half asleep at 1 am lol

Goro likes this.
  25. Futrdoc90

Hi I will be starting CFP in August as well message me for contact info it would really be helpful to know someone else going this route I asked to join the group they made on fb but I also have my page deactivated right now while the cycle is still going

26. 143Doc

Hi there,

I wanted to get in touch with you and ask you about your experience with this program? How did you do?

27. garrettp

Pre-Medical
    when does cycle start?

28. Metallo_Beta_Lactamases

Pre-Medical
    I'm curious as to what is meant by other problems that aren't disclosed. Also how did you manage the tuition? 30k US per term seems crazy!

MedicineN'Jazz likes this.