St. George's University...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thedeepz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to SGU as a safety, mainly. this is a second go at things for me, and i'm hoping to cover all of my bases. if my my stats are:

Overall Undergrad GPA: 3.75, Sci GPA: 3.5, Grad GPA: 3.83
MCAT: PS- 8 R-10 BS-11 Wr-R

2 years of bench lab experience with 2 publications, one year under my belt of an MPH at GW, and clinical experience gained through that...

How are my chances at SGU...?

Interview season definitely has me on edge about applications....

Members don't see this ad.

This is the wrong section for this... it'll get moved to the Caribbean forum. Scroll halfway down the main forum page and you'll see the section under the International area.

Your GPA is higher than their average (3.4) and your MCAT is higher (24 or something). You have research experience and a graduate degree. This is almost a slam dunk.

ohh, thanks! sorry about that

Members don't see this ad :)
What US schools are you applying to? You seem like a good applicant for even the US schools. You shouldn't have any trouble getting into SGU, but US med schools should take you as well.

Did you get any interviews last time around?

How much clinical experience do you have? How much volunteering? Seriously, try harder.. apply to more reasonable schools with programs that fit you.. Write good secondaries.. Contact the schools.. make friends with the current med students.. (Have them talk to the dean of admissions about you, it worked for a friend of mine).

I don't sit on the admissions committee of SGU (or any other school for that matter) but sure, I think you'll get in there (I have friends there).

i got 5 interviews last time: A&M, UTMB, UT-Southwestern, UT-Houston, UC-Davis (I'm a TX resident)
I was without the MPH experience at the time, and had 2 years volunteer experience at a Alternative Care clinic where I interacted with patients. Got waitlisted at UTMB and UTSW, but no acceptance...

Have since beefed up the clinical experience. I volunteer at a primary clinic in southeast DC weekly, also volunteer regularly with a harm reduction/needle exchange unit in d.c. that involves lots of interaction with individuals and some referrals to clinics, etc.

I'm applying to all schools in TX,

Albert Einstein, NYMC, NYU, Gtown, GWU, Jefferson, Rochester, Tulane, Tufts, Boston (rejected), Drexel, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola, Temple, Rush, Mt. Sinai

My feeling is that I don't interview well, from the last results. I had one at TCOM so far. I think it went well. I've only been asked to interview at 2 schools so far, though, the other is A&M. I also am not very good at knowing what my limits should be with talking to med students and asking people to pull strings. I clearly need to get better at that. if you have any pointers, i'm all ears.... *thanks*

This is the wrong section for this... it'll get moved to the Caribbean forum. Scroll halfway down the main forum page and you'll see the section under the International area.

Your GPA is higher than their average (3.4) and your MCAT is higher (24 or something). You have research experience and a graduate degree. This is almost a slam dunk.

MCAT avg at sgu is almost as high as 26 now.

You should probably add on more schools. I don't think you are applying to enough schools. Safety schools don't always pay off, and are sometimes a waste of time.

Apply to middle ranked private/semi-private schools. Its obvious you are a strong candidate (you got an interview at UCD last time around). Add more schools. You have everything else down, the only things thats hurting you is your PS, thats almost it. Medschools are alot more forgiving than we give them credit.

I wouldn't pursue Gtown (expensive secondary!!). Add on some more schools (Toledo, Creighton, Michigan State, Wayne) All are great schools with solid programs.

Best of luck. :thumbup: Don't stress too much over this process, its just a small hump in the whole picture. It seems annoying, but so is trying to drink water out of a fire hydrant (what med school feels like!)