St George's VFP vs. Ross vet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SabrinamarieDVM

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I was accepted to Ross Vet and St George's vet foundations program. I love St George's and ideally would love to go there but I'm not sure if giving up my spot at Ross is worth it if there is no guarantee that I will get into the vet program. St George's would still be cheaper than Ross even with the extra semester in the VFP program. If I email St George's do you think they will reconsider putting me in the vet program? Is anyone else dealing with this sotuatuon?Thoughts? Suggestions? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!

I was accepted to Ross Vet and St George's vet foundations program. I love St George's and ideally would love to go there but I'm not sure if giving up my spot at Ross is worth it if there is no guarantee that I will get into the vet program. St George's would still be cheaper than Ross even with the extra semester in the VFP program. If I email St George's do you think they will reconsider putting me in the vet program? Is anyone else dealing with this sotuatuon?Thoughts? Suggestions? Thank you!
So I’m pretty unfamiliar with this “vet foundations program”, but if I’m understanding this correctly it’s basically like a “go here for a semester, but it’s not vet school, and it doesn’t mean you’ll actually get accepted to our vet school”, yes?

So you got accepted to Ross’s vet school, and didn’t to St George. Both of those are really expensive, so it’s a really good idea to go to the cheapest one. In this case, it’d be St George. In the long view of your lifetime, taking a year off to beef up your application to get into the cheaper school isn’t going be the end of the world. I would personally not spend more money towards the fake vet program. They already charge roughly $200,000 in tuition alone, not including what the COL will be for living on an island. Save your money.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone!

I thought about doing the same thing, so let me know what they say!

They said the committee's decision is final unless I have an academic enhancement to add to my application. Oh well it was worth a try. I'm still going to vet school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya I think they mean any additional classes or retaking the GRE. I am going to commit to Ross. I dont want to give up my spot in a vet school for a pre-vet program. If I dont like it I can always transfer.

I was accepted to the Ross vet prep program. I emailed them and if I retake the GRE I will be reconsidered for 1st semester. I dont know about SGU but if you pass the vet prep semester at Ross then you are automatically advanced to 1st semester vet school. GRE retake for me!

Hi! I am in the same boat as you currently. I really wanted to go to SGU but they offered me Vet Prep yesterday and I don't know if it is worth giving up my seat at Ross. I will most likely choose to go to Ross I am just worried about the probationary accreditation so it is making me hesitate in submitting my deposit. I tried to ask to petition SGU but got the same response you did.. but at least we tried!

Hey everyone!

Hey there! I tried PM you but wasn't able. Hope everything is great. I wanted to know what did you end up doing? Are you happy with that decision? Any personal opinion?

Hello! Just a bit more info on SGU’s foundation program: You take basic courses that are similar to those you will take first term, and you have to maintain a certain GPA (I want to say 3.0 but may be wrong, I did not personally go through the program but had many classmates who did). There is a comprehensive exam at the end of the semester and if you pass this exam and have the necessary GPA then you are automatically advanced to the first semester of vet school. The majority of people are successful in the program but there are definitely some that are not.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello! Just a bit more info on SGU’s foundation program: You take basic courses that are similar to those you will take first term, and you have to maintain a certain GPA (I want to say 3.0 but may be wrong, I did not personally go through the program but had many classmates who did). There is a comprehensive exam at the end of the semester and if you pass this exam and have the necessary GPA then you are automatically advanced to the first semester of vet school. The majority of people are successful in the program but there are definitely some that are not.

Thank you so much!

Thank you so much!

Hi, piggybacking off of what allygator13 said, Ross's vet prep program is the same idea! If you get accepted into the vet prep, not only does passing the vet prep semester automatically advanced to 1st semester vet school (as wonderfully stated by Oregon72)... but you also are super prepared for the concepts that are taught during your first semester! Every Ross vet prepper I know was super successful in their first semester!