• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

teymur

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi my fellow osteopaths. I'm trying to find some info about St. James Hospital in Chicago Heights, IL residency program. They don't have a website, so I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about it.
Thanks

PocketAces

Resident
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2004
Chicago
Status (Visible)
What would you like to know? It's a community/academic hospital about 25 miles outside the city. Most of us live downtown and commute though. Tons of operating (our second years had around 160 cases done 4 months into thier second year this year). We have very busy general, vascular and colorectal services. Also we are the only level one trauma center for the south side of chicago and northwest Indiana. Therefore we get plenty of trauma every day on the trauma service as well. Mostly puncture (gunshots and stabbing) and motor vehicle.

surgical06

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
i thought christ (uic trauma) was the trauma center for south side?

About the Ads

San_Juan_Sun

Professor of Life
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hi my fellow osteopaths. I'm trying to find some info about St. James Hospital in Chicago Heights, IL residency program. They don't have a website, so I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about it.
Thanks

PocketAces obviously can give you a much better idea of what the program is all about. I interviewed there. Seemed like an overall solid program. They have a bigtime trauma attending that is supposed to be the man (Mattox?/Maddux?). They had a nice looking surgical oncology unit. The hospital itself is sort of wierd, more like a small mall than a hospital. It is like two stories high but has a huge square footage. You'd be ready for a marathon after you run around the hospital for codes intern year. Nice enough though. FWIW, the area close to the hospital that I saw seemed nice enough. The residents were pretty cool, although we only met a few of them. A classmate rotated there and loved it. They did have an open spot in the match this year. Overall, it wasn't high on my list simply because I didn't have a great feel for the program, but I'm sure it's a good place. Rotating there seemed pretty important. Hope this helps.

teymur

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
What would you like to know? It's a community/academic hospital about 25 miles outside the city. Most of us live downtown and commute though. Tons of operating (our second years had around 160 cases done 4 months into thier second year this year). We have very busy general, vascular and colorectal services. Also we are the only level one trauma center for the south side of chicago and northwest Indiana. Therefore we get plenty of trauma every day on the trauma service as well. Mostly puncture (gunshots and stabbing) and motor vehicle.

Thanks a lot pocketaces, I also wanted to know how new is the program and where do graduates go after graduating, who is the chairman and the program director and would you recommend rotating there before applying? Are there any outside rotations or do you guys spend all of your time at Olympia Fields and Chicago Heights?
Thanks again

San_Juan_Sun

Professor of Life
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I thought Ken Mattox was in Houston?

I don't know who Ken Mattox is. However, there is a new Trauma attending at Olympia Fields that the residents said was very highly regarded in the Midwest. It's been a few months, but I thought the guy's name was Maddux?/Mattox?.

DO_Surgeon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2003
Status (Visible)
I don't know who Ken Mattox is. However, there is a new Trauma attending at Olympia Fields that the residents said was very highly regarded in the Midwest. It's been a few months, but I thought the guy's name was Maddux?/Mattox?.

Mattox, is a huge name in trauma. Last I knew he was at Ben Taub in Houston. He is one of the editors for the big Trauma book and Sabiston text. My guess is that this is a different Mattox.

San_Juan_Sun

Professor of Life
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Mattox, is a huge name in trauma. Last I knew he was at Ben Taub in Houston. He is one of the editors for the big Trauma book and Sabiston text. My guess is that this is a different Mattox.
I did a search on the hospital website. The only trauma surgeon listed was Merlotti, so that was probably the guy I met. Residents raved about him.

corona 247

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2004
Orlando
Status (Visible)
You are correct that the Big Trauma dog at Ole is Dr. Merlotti. I spent last summer working with a good friend of his who spoke VERY highly of him. Dr. Merlotti ran Trauma at Cook County, and then Christ Hosptal (I think). He was then hired about a year ago to run Trauma at Ole. He is a very cool guy, and everyone from the janitors to the surgical housestaff go gaga over him. I heard is an excellent teacher and one hell of a trauma surgeon

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.