SLCpod

Staff member
7+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2011
The West
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Anyone rotated through St John hospital and Medical center in MI? I am trying to switch my program and I am looking into this program. I heard they recently got a new program director and wonder his impact on program as well.
I know a first year at the program and he is enjoying his experience so far.

ldsrmdude

Back in the saddle again
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2007
Status
Podiatrist
Anyone rotated through St John hospital and Medical center in MI? I am trying to switch my program and I am looking into this program. I heard they recently got a new program director and wonder his impact on program as well.
I can give you the word on the street from a few years ago when I was a resident in Michigan. I never visited there, but knew several residents and a few attendings there, so take what I am saying as pure gossip and without any first-hand knowledge. St. Johns used to be a big name and was one of the first 3 year programs in the country. The program isn't as good as it was. I don't know how the new director will change things, but I heard that the hospital administration was not very supportive of the program. It sounds like their trauma numbers really dropped off because the hospital hired a few ortho trauma guys that do all of it now. They drive a lot to cases. I got the impression that they think they're a much better program than they really are. Out of the dozen or so programs in the Detroit area, I'd put it firmly in the middle of the pack

OP
P
Aug 17, 2016
Status
Podiatry Student
I can give you the word on the street from a few years ago when I was a resident in Michigan. I never visited there, but knew several residents and a few attendings there, so take what I am saying as pure gossip and without any first-hand knowledge. St. Johns used to be a big name and was one of the first 3 year programs in the country. The program isn't as good as it was. I don't know how the new director will change things, but I heard that the hospital administration was not very supportive of the program. It sounds like their trauma numbers really dropped off because the hospital hired a few ortho trauma guys that do all of it now. They drive a lot to cases. I got the impression that they think they're a much better program than they really are. Out of the dozen or so programs in the Detroit area, I'd put it firmly in the middle of the pack
Thank you for your input!
Any other programs you would recommend in Michigan?
Seems like Genseys, Henry Ford, McLaren-Oakland, Michigan Surg Hosp, Oakwood southshore and Proidence have an opening for the month I am trying to switch.

Last edited:

ldsrmdude

Back in the saddle again
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2007
Status
Podiatrist
Thank you for your input!
Any other programs you would recommend in Michigan? I am already rotating through DMC.
Seems like Genseys, Henry Ford, McLaren-Oakland, Michigan Surg Hosp, Oakwood southshore and Proidence have an opening for the month I am trying to switch.
I've heard good things about Genesys and Providence. There are 2 Henry Ford programs, Macomb and Wyandotte. They're both good, but Macomb is probably the stronger of the two. Oakwood Southshore wasn't around when I was a student so I don't know much about it. McLaren-Oakland and Michigan Surgical Hospital are probably towards the bottom of the barrel. Again this is mostly hearsay and gossip.

Reactions: SLCpod
OP
P
Aug 17, 2016
Status
Podiatry Student
I've heard good things about Genesys and Providence. There are 2 Henry Ford programs, Macomb and Wyandotte. They're both good, but Macomb is probably the stronger of the two. Oakwood Southshore wasn't around when I was a student so I don't know much about it. McLaren-Oakland and Michigan Surgical Hospital are probably towards the bottom of the barrel. Again this is mostly hearsay and gossip.
which programs would you consider top in your opinion?

ldsrmdude

Back in the saddle again
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2007
Status
Podiatrist
which programs would you consider top in your opinion?
I'd guess most people would include DMC, Oakwood-Wayne, St. Marys, Henry Ford-Macomb, and Providence in the top 5 of the Detroit programs in some order. I didn't list these in any specific order, just off the top of my head. I'm sure some would include Genesys and/or St. Johns in there.