Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

St. John's

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by LaLuna123, Mar 22, 2007.

1. LaLuna123

Psychology Student
    Seriously, has nobody heard from St. John's???? My attempts to find out anything from the department have been rather fruitless... :confused:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. psychplease

4. LaLuna123

Psychology Student
    Hmmm... I looked though some posts on this forum from 2006 and 2005, and it seems that St. John's started calling accepted applicants on March 31st! So unless anyone has already heard from them, perhaps we'll hear next Friday. I don't like waiting!

What do people think of the program?

5. Psychbar

Psychology Student
    I'm sorry to be the one to inform you, but I know of someone who was accepted to St. John's last week. It is very possible that they are still making calls/working through their list so don't give up. Just thought I'd share what I know.

6. Psychbar

Psychology Student
    I hear that it is very, very intense. The coursework combined with the 18 hour a week assistanship seems like it is meant for really hard workers. Students who I have spoken to at other programs say that Saint John's is known for being the most demanding of practice-oriented PhD programs in the tristate area.
    But then again it is a fully funded education - they are paying you good money to do all of that work.

7. LaLuna123

Psychology Student
    Thanks for the update! I just want this business to be over so I can decide what I'm doing next year! I feel really guilty about not responding to the other school I'm holding an offer from....I know it's my right to do so, but I feel bad...:(

From talking to the grad students at the interview, I did get the impression that the work load is pretty heavy. They also said that the professors really emphasize getting good grades, i.e. all A's. I've also heard that the students take pretty long to graduate.

8. LaLuna123

Psychology Student
    Received a letter today that I'm waitlisted at St. John's.

9. Psychbar

Psychology Student
    Got my rejection letter today. Saw this one coming from a mile away...

10. psychplease

11. psycho-logy

Other Health Professions Student
    I got an acceptance phone call from st. john's yesterday, so they might still be sending more acceptances

12. nononora

nononora Dis Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Psychologist
    on March 21st although I only found out a few days later after calling Graduate Admissions. Perhaps they aren't done deciding yet? I've been trying to get in touch with them since but no one seems to answer the phone.

13. LaLuna123

Psychology Student
    So nobody has actually called you from the psych department? Thats bizarre!

People who received offers of admission: are you going to accept? And congratulations! (although I am a little jealous.. :oops: )

14. psycho-logy

Other Health Professions Student
    No, I am not going to accept - hopefully you can get in off the waitlist!

15. nononora

nononora Dis Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Psychologist
    I'm an international student so they apparently tried to call but couldn't get through, and sent me an email telling me to get in contact with them instead. I'm still waiting on 2 more schools before I decide... all this calling isn't doing my pocket any good though :D

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. LaLuna123

Psychology Student
    For those waitlisted at St. John's: Have you been able to find out how high you are on the list?

18. psychplease

19. LaLuna123

Psychology Student

Hmmm...I'll have to check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure they didn't mention anything about not having a ranking system in my letter. I could be wrong though.

Anyway, that sounds like something they'd say to reduce the phone calls to the department! They must at least have some sort of rankings, like separate lists for adult/child tracks, POIs etc....you'd think...

20. CheetahGirl

CheetahGirl Clinical Psychologist

Post Doc
    According to a very vivid dream last night, I'm next off the waitlist. :D

I woke up before I found out whether or not I accepted...sorry.

21. nononora

nononora Dis Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Psychologist
    Are there any St John's psychology grad students reading this thread? Please PM me if you can! I have a few questions about the stipend + living costs in general...

22. phdhopefull

I got rejected from St John's but was accepted into their Masters Program. Anyone heard if this is a good program? If it is a two year program, do I have to finish the two years to reapply to Ph.D, or can I just reapply after one year of getting my Masters. Thanks for the help

23. LaLuna123

Psychology Student
    For those accepted/waitlisted, did you apply for the adult or child track? I'm waiting on the child track. As it's should be only 6 spots, I'd be curious to know how many haven't been filled yet.

24. nononora

nononora Dis Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Psychologist
    Any news yet LaLuna? I applied and was accepted to the adult track - not too fond of children! Yet. :eek:

25. psychplease

26. Cosmo 23

I was waitlisted for the adult clinical program but am removing myself from the list today...am planning to accept another offer. So hopefully I'm freeing up a spot for someone else. Good luck!

27. LaLuna123

Psychology Student
    No news for me either. I'm getting more and more tempted to just accept my other offer, but am trying to be patient for a while more. I wonder how many people they waitlisted..? I wish they'd tell us something. :(

28. Psychbar

Psychology Student
    I just received my second rejection letter from St. John's. It was the same as the first, just less painful becuase I knew what it would say. I guess they really don't want me.

29. queen810queen

i got accepted, but did not get funded. I guess only 6 people get funded? Is anyone going who did not get funded?

would you go if you did not get funded? and who gets funded anyway, how is this decided?

30. nononora

nononora Dis Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Psychologist
    You used the word "funded" in every sentence! :D

I'm assuming you're talking about their Clinical Psychology program? I imagine that St. John's might fund 6 general-track and 6 clinical child-track students every year because exactly 12 students have been choosing to go to St. John's since 2001. I'm just speculating from their Clinical Psychology Data though, which can be found here.

I read somewhere on SJU's website that University fellowships are merit-based so that could certainly be the deciding factor.

I personally would not attend grad school without funding but you could ask faculty about possible funding opportunities after the first year to see if you'll be eligible. Anyone else have any ideas?

31. queen810queen

Yes, I am talking about the Clinical Psychology program - general track. That is what I don't understand. At the interview the grad students said that they were all funded. However, when St. johns called me a few weeks ago they told me that I am ACCEPTED but an alternate for a fellowship. Without this fellowship i would have to pay the full tuition.

I do not know how this makes sense considering the fact that they have funded all their students in the previous years...I don't know what to think really

32. queen810queen

what i mean is, why would they not just accept the amount of students they can fund, and wait list the rest. I do not understand this accepting half the students with and half the students without funding business. Even funding one or two student out of 12-15 makes more sense than funding half and not funding the rest...

I'm sorry if i am incoherent, it is 7 am and i have not slept