St. Louis College of Pharmacy vs. Southern Illinois University of Edwardsville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spills

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an going to be a senior in high school next year and am interested in pharmacy as a career. I also currently work at Walgreens pharmacy as a pharmacy technician. I am having trouble choosing a school for pharmacy and either want to go to STLCOP or SIUE. I also have visited STLCOP and will visit SIUE very soon. Which school would be better to go to? What are the pros and cons of each pharmacy school? And what are your opinions and experiences of each pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Could anyone help me with this? Opinions from current students or former students would very much be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a hard time deciding on which school to go to and I ultimately chose SIUe for a couple of reasons. So hopefully this helps!

1) Tuition.
Although you will be making a lot of money as a Pharmacist and it may not seem like a huge deal, why waste an extra $15,000 a year for the first two years? When I applied for both colleges, STLCOP was around $30,000 and SIUe was around $10,000 (for pre-Pharm) and was just a little under $30,000 for the Professional Pharmacy Program. In the end, at STLCOP I would spend around $210,000 while at SIUe I would only spend around $140,000.
I did, however, receive a really good scholarship from STLCOP but still ended up declining it. If you end up getting accepted at STLCOP, that will most likely mean that you will get accepted into SIUe and get a scholarship there as well. I chose SIUe in this case because I pay less than $1,000 a semester for all my pre-Pharm classes which is amazing.

2) Textbooks
SIUe also has a textbook rental program so you never have to pay for a textbook but you do pay a rental fee which is approx. $200 but it does depend on how many classes you take.

3) Years of completion
At SIUe the pre-Pharm courses are typically completed in 2 years and then you apply to their Pharmacy school which is only 4 years. So, in total, you will only be spending 6 years in school while at STLCOP you will be spending an extra year for a total of 7 years of school. This in turn also means an extra year of paying $30,000

4) Location
STLCOP is in a beautiful location! It may be frustrating at some times though because the streets are really busy. SIUe's location is a huge difference since it is not located in the city. I was raised in the city so I don't like it as much but that did not affect my decision.

My biggest factor in making my decision was the overall price of tuition because I would much rather save that extra $70,000 and put it towards something else.

I am currently a P1 at SIUe SOP so I can speak on my experience so far. Most of what Hope has above is accurate, but with the textbook rentals, the fee is build in to your tuition, which could be a good or a bad thing depending on if you use it or not. You basically show up to the book store and tell them your classes and they give you want you need, sign and you leave. Your classes for the first two years are set and you have no option outside from your lab time. Classes sizes are different as well between the two schools. SIUe typically has a class size of 82 students and usually lose only 2-4 students through out the 4 years. This isn't because the education you are getting is subpar as SIUe has the highest board pass rates in both Illinois and Missouri for the past few years including the class of 2018 having a 97% pass rate first time. There is a big emphasis on the school operating more like a family.

Although a 6 year old thread has been revived, for any current readers the facts I say in the current job market hold true and I’ll continue to state the same principle for newer posts to come.

If both are fully accredited you simply do one thing:

Go to the cheapest program.