St Louis Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tre Cool

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the question:
Were you a full time undergraduate student during the 2005-2006 academic year?

If you said no, did you fill up most of the space allowed (10,000 characters)? That many number of characters seems extremely excessive but I'm not sure if I should try to expand on what I'm doing and plan to do for the next year.

Advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

10,000 is excessive.

I kept mine very concise, explaining that I would now be a full-time researcher on the same two projects I have been working part-time on for the past year. I included a one-two sentence reminder description of each project (both are detailed thoroughly on my AMCAS) and added that I would be taking the following graduate level biology courses to strengthen my foundation.

On a more personal-I swear! I do have a life outside of the lab-note, I added that I would be training for a number of 5Ks in hopes of completing a triathlon before starting medical school, as well as working on an extensive expansion of my history honors thesis to prepare it for publication at my former advisor's urging (urging=I will hold your LOR hostage unless you agree to finally submit it).

Basically, they just want to know that you're not sitting on your butt for this year.

hey, much thanks nefarious! yeah, i definitely want to talk about all the things i plan on doing this year but i wasn't sure about the detail (like if i should include a story about how one tutee of mine did well or whatever). but i think that might be a bit much and it might be better to leave it for the interview.

good luck with the 5Ks! and the history thesis (that prof is harsh!).

medgirl? said:
hey, much thanks nefarious! yeah, i definitely want to talk about all the things i plan on doing this year but i wasn't sure about the detail (like if i should include a story about how one tutee of mine did well or whatever). but i think that might be a bit much and it might be better to leave it for the interview.

good luck with the 5Ks! and the history thesis (that prof is harsh!).

These secondaries with the open-ended "tell us whatever you think we should know" are the trickiest.

If tutoring is a huge part of what you'll be doing this year, why not include a little more detail (just not personal statement-level detail)? It couldn't hurt and might end up becoming a great interview prompt.

Good luck!