St. Louis U vs. MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twick121

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm into SLU and MCW and seeing how late it is in the process i fully don't expect to get in anywhere else. So, I am deciding between the two schools.

I was just wondering what other people's thoughts/opinions between the two schools are. I have my own preferences in which way i'm leaning, but I am just curious to hear other perspectives.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm partial to SLU, i didn't apply to MCW, but i do have a few other acceptances so I'm not totally biased. I live near St. Louis, and I've always loved the city. I'm choosing it over living in Chicago because it seems to be a better fit for me as a school and as a city. The school has a lot of really interesting student associations. Check out the 2011 thread. However, if you're from WI, it might be worth it to go to MCW.

If money play a big role in decision, (as it does for me) MCW.
Last time I checked, MCW is one of the cheapest private school one could get into. Don't know why SLu is so expensive.
If ranking play a role, USnews ranked MCW in 42 for primary care (NIH funding is not used in such ranking methodology). Didn't see SLU in the ranking.
If location matters, for people from ca like me, it doesn't matter Milwaukee or Saint louis :cool:
So that's 3-0, and i'll go cheese.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Last time I checked, MCW is one of the cheapest private school one could get into. Don't know why SLu is so expensive.
If ranking play a role, USnews ranked MCW in 42 for primary care. Didn't see SLU in the ranking.
If location matters, for people from ca like me, it doesn't matter Milwaukee or Saint louis :cool:

SLU: 62 research... but how much will NIH funding affect you?... my guess is not much

I know nothing of SLU, but feel free to PM me with any questions about MCW. Almost 2 years later I guess I have a good feel for what it's like here.

If ranking play a role, USnews ranked MCW in 42 for primary care (NIH funding is not used in such ranking methodology). Didn't see SLU in the ranking.

There is absolutely no way in the universe that such "rankings" can have any impact on your medical education with respect to these two schools.

Choose based on curriculum, environment, and learning style.

Ditto on the MCW threads--they have students all over SDN who can answer your Q's.

Right now I'm into SLU and MCW and seeing how late it is in the process i fully don't expect to get in anywhere else. So, I am deciding between the two schools.

I interviewed at SLU, and I thought it was a nice school, but I was just waitlisted. Actually, I was waitlisted at SLU and MCW. I liked MCW more than SLU because St. Louis (city) scared the crap out of me. I would've liked the school more if it weren't for the area. The curriculum sounded great. I was told to take a bus instead of walking 0.5mi in broad daylight because the area around the school was too dangerous. Not too fond of that.

I know nothing of SLU, but feel free to PM me with any questions about MCW. Almost 2 years later I guess I have a good feel for what it's like here.

Ditto.

There is absolutely no way in the universe that such "rankings" can have any impact on your medical education with respect to these two schools.

Choose based on curriculum, environment, and learning style.

Ditto on the MCW threads--they have students all over SDN who can answer your Q's.

I agree with the above.

HAHA. We kinda tend to take over things. Go look at the MCW 2009, 2010, 2011 threads if you want.

I interviewed at SLU, and I thought it was a nice school, but I was just waitlisted. Actually, I was waitlisted at SLU and MCW. I liked MCW more than SLU because St. Louis (city) scared the crap out of me. I would've liked the school more if it weren't for the area. The curriculum sounded great. I was told to take a bus instead of walking 0.5mi in broad daylight because the area around the school was too dangerous. Not too fond of that.

That would scare me too. MCW is in a nice area of Milwaukee so you won't have problems like that there. The only parts of Milwaukee to watch out for at night are around Marquette and UWM to a lesser extent. I've been around Marquette during the day without any fear. The East side of Milwaukee is a good place to hang out at night since they have so many bars/clubs and it's safe down there.

If anyone has questions about the Milwaukee area, feel free the PM me.

I also prefer MCW, but I think I should debunk the St. Louis rumors, as Im from St. Louis. SLU isnt in the greatest part of St. Louis, but its not like Hopkins ... that bus quote is just downright false. As opposed to Wash U, SLU is definitely in the ghetto, but Id say its just slightly more urban and unsafe than the average city-based medical school.

Basically, theyre very different settings. MCW is basically in the suburbs and SLU is urban. Thats the main difference in location, crime, etc.

That would scare me too. MCW is in a nice area of Milwaukee so you won't have problems like that there. The only parts of Milwaukee to watch out for at night are around Marquette and UWM to a lesser extent. I've been around Marquette during the day without any fear. The East side of Milwaukee is a good place to hang out at night since they have so many bars/clubs and it's safe down there.
Er, you do realize that UWM is right in the middle of the east side, right? So is it a place to watch out for at night, or is it safe? :p I lived on Oakland for a year.

And I differ. Marquette and UWM are safe areas, until you're west of them. It's almost everything north of State between I-43 and 50th St. For those of you not from the area, that's still pretty far from MCW. It's quite the "Leave it to Beaver" neighborhood right around the school.

I interviewed at both SLU and MCW and am leaning towards MCW. SLU's curriculum is fantastic, but like most others on this thread, I can't really imagine living somewhere where I don't feel safe. Med school's gonna be stressful enough, I don't want to be walking around with a fear of getting mugged or something. I'm from the suburbs/rural area, though, so MCW just seems like home.

In terms of happiness of students/clinical opportunities/reputation, SLU and MCW seemed about equal to me. MCW is really big into research, but SLU is building (or has already finished?) a brand new research building that's supposed to boost their NIH funding/rep if that's what you're into.

you must go wherever it is you feel comfortable, but i'd also say the 'danger' surrounding the campus has been overstated.

also, i encourage students to compare match lists whenever possible. i believe both institutions post them online.

I think both schools are great. I interviewed at SLU, but turned down MCW interview just because it was for an alternate spot. I would go to SLU if it wasn't for money. Save money and go to MCW. :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
after being at SLU for almost 4 years, I think it is fine. If you are smart about things (i.e. don't walk around at night by yourself, avoid parking in shady areas), you should be fine. I don't know anything about MCW but St. Louis actually has alot to offer. Forest Park has so many things to do and all for free (St. louis Zoo, Art Museum, History Museum, St. Louis Science Center, the MUNY which is an open theater). There's Fox theater for those interested in the theatrical arts and the St louis Symphony orchestra. We have the St. Louis Rams and the St. Louis Cardinals. When I first came St. louis i had the same reservations as were expressed here. And please don't try to compare St Louis with New York or Los Angeles because it won't hold up, it has it's unique qualties, but being from CA I sure don't miss the rush hour traffic. 3+ years later I am very happy with my choice. I think the positives outweigh the negatives of the city.

P.S. SLU will provide you with an excellent medical education.

And I gotta to give a shout out to my boy, Keith (the above poster)

Er, you do realize that UWM is right in the middle of the east side, right? So is it a place to watch out for at night, or is it safe? :p I lived on Oakland for a year.

And I differ. Marquette and UWM are safe areas, until you're west of them. It's almost everything north of State between I-43 and 50th St. For those of you not from the area, that's still pretty far from MCW. It's quite the "Leave it to Beaver" neighborhood right around the school.

It's right around UWM that I've heard is bad. I know people that got beaten up around UWM and people that witnessed a shooting right around Marquette. That's why I'm careful about that.

I am deciding b/w SLU and MCW as well (and also creighton i guess), but I am leaning heavily toward MCW. I'm a WI resident, and MCW is only an hour from home, it has a good reputation, and is located in a decent part of Milwaukee. I really liked the facilities with their whole medical campus in one area. I liked the block testing schedule that my tour guide described, and I was overall impressed with the people I interacted with during my interview day. Unless I get any last minute interview invites from stanford (or anywhere else warm) I will most likely be starting at MCW this fall.

I don't understand why people say SLU is so dangerous. Are these people who plan on living in the medschool? I live 10 minutes away from the school in a beautiful neighboorhood where we go on walks every night. I never feel unsafe. Saint Louis is a patchy city, so the bad places do exist, but there are plenty of safe, nice, and affordable areas to live in.

Reactions: 1 user