St. Louis University or Rosalind Franklin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iwannagetin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I already hold an acceptance to St. Louis University and I am wondering if I should to my interview at Rosalind Franklin (I dont live close to chicago). Rosalind Franklin seems to have a good match list but the whole accreditation probation concerns me.

I would really appreciate your experiences with regard to the schools reputation and education in general. Thanks alot in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Iwannagetin said:
Hello,

I already hold an acceptance to St. Louis University and I am wondering if I should to my interview at Rosalind Franklin (I dont live close to chicago). Rosalind Franklin seems to have a good match list but the whole accreditation probation concerns me.

I would really appreciate your experiences with regard to the schools reputation and education in general. Thanks alot in advance.

hmmm... first, i belive rosalind franklin has accreddiation until 2010 or so?? or is it 2012?? regardless, you shouldn't worry about it. rosalind franklin has HIGH USLME scores, so that should tell you a lot about its education... not to mention its residency match list...

as for st.louis, my friend got accepted there. he LOVED it.

Iwannagetin said:
Hello,

I interviewed and was accepted at Rosalind Franklin last year, and just so you know, its NOT actually in Chicago. Even though they sometimes refer to this area as "North Chicago" (I think I read this in MSAR) its about 45 minutes or so north OF Chicago in a small little town. From what I remember, you can choose to do rotations in Chicago, but you defintely do your 1st and 2nd year in ths small town.

It certainly could not hurt you to go on the interview and see for yourself how the school is--I would recommend you give RF a shot. :thumbup:

By the way, congrats on your acceptance! :luck:

-tx

Members don't see this ad :)
txguy said:
I interviewed and was accepted at Rosalind Franklin last year, and just so you know, its NOT actually in Chicago. Even though they sometimes refer to this area as "North Chicago" (I think I read this in MSAR) its about 45 minutes or so north OF Chicago in a small little town. From what I remember, you can choose to do rotations in Chicago, but you defintely do your 1st and 2nd year in ths small town.

It certainly could not hurt you to go on the interview and see for yourself how the school is--I would recommend you give RF a shot. :thumbup:

By the way, congrats on your acceptance! :luck:

-tx

Thanks for your comments....I dont have much experience with judging match lists, what's the word out there on St. Louis Univeristy's match list...compared to other private schools of the same calibre?

I am an MSII at SLU MED. I didn't have to choose b/w RF and SLU but I chose it over drexel and I am so glad I did. Even though SLU is probably average in terms of many things, the reputation of school is rising and lots of things are on the up and up (including research rankings w/ new research building, etc.). If you are concerned about academics, I can tell you that so far the classes i've taken have been excellent and the teachers have been great. They are always out there to help you, answer questions, etc. In terms of the matchlist, I am sure RF has a good list too; however, if you look at SLU's matchlist on the website for the last 5 years or so you will see that students have matched in almost every specialty at great places. Last year's matchlist wasn't too impressive, however in previous years they've done really well as far as matching is concerned. As for the board scores, the pass rate is 96% (compared to 91-92% national avg.). As for the city, I love stl...its large enough but not too big. The only complain I have about being here is the midwest weather and being away from family (i m from NC) but the adjustment was relatively easy and I fell in love with city in no time. If you have any specific questions, post it here or pm me.

good luck and congrats on your acceptance...

txguy said:
I interviewed and was accepted at Rosalind Franklin last year, and just so you know, its NOT actually in Chicago. Even though they sometimes refer to this area as "North Chicago"
-tx

it's referred to as "North Chicago" because that is actually the name of the town...but, like you said, it's quite a drive north of the actual city of Chicago.