St. Luke's College of Medicine, Philippines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mykeast

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm a fil-am who graduated from St. Luke's and will be starting residency in July 2006. For those of you who are interested in studying medicine in the Philippines, here's some information which was published last year in a local paper about my school.

Getting into Med School? Why St Luke's? 12 Reasons Why...

1. Its culture. SLCM is a close-knit community. Unlike big schools with hundreds in a class, our community allows you to know one another in familiar endearing ways. Your identity is preserved and interaction is more personal.

2. Its curriculum. SLCM has a traditional but innovative and integrated curriculum. Big group lectures are supplemented by small group discussions. Anatomy uses real cadavers for dissection, not plastic models for demonstration. Case studies are done starting first year.

3. Its faculty. Our best asset. The faculty undergoes continuous training in medical pedagogy (teacher training in creating instructional designs, test construction, student evaluation, educational research, presentation skills, and many more) and a number of them have advanced academic degrees in health profession education, public health and administration, etc. Our faculty:student ratio of 1:3 and its Student Advisory Program assure closer supervision and guidance of students.

4. Its track record. Only 10 years old, SLCM has an enviable share in the ratings of the Medical Board Examinations with its graduates in the Top 20, and batch average in the Top 10 amonth the 32 medical schoools in the Philippines. (Batch 2004 (my batch) has 6 Top notchers in the August 2004 and Feb 204 Board Exams)

5. Its scholarship offering. SLCM has a generous scholarship program for deserving excelling students. Those with Latin honors and those with high GPA and NMAT scores automatically get full or partial scholarships.

6. Its instructional materials. SLCM has the technological edge when it comes to scientific facilities and instructional materials. Our skills laboratory is the home of "Harvey" and "CardioSim" - two of the many assorted medical eductaional devices for hands-on training of students. The Objective Structured Clinical Examination (SCE) in the 5th year complements the Comprehensive Examinations given after year level.

7. Its facilities. Our lecture, discussion and conference rooms, library and other facilities are all air-conditioned. SLCM has a Prayer Room, a Computer Room with internet connections, a Food Court with various concessionaires, 4-level parking, and a large social hall for varied purposes. Around SLCM are townhouses, condominiums and apartments for rent, and eateries and convenience stores to serve your needs. And, no floods to wade in!

8. Its base hospital. St Luke's Medical Center is a 650-bed tertiary care hospital which is the Philippines' first (and Asia's 2nd) medical institution to be accredited by the prestigious Joint Commision International.

9. Its research. Research is fostered and backed-up financially by the Student Assistance Fund or by Professional Chairs of Research Chairs. Research outputs are published in the Students' Scientific Journal and the St Luke's Journal of Medicine.

10. Its social accountability. SLCM is always mindful of the marginalized sectors of society. In the 4th and 5th years (Clerkship and Internship), its students are immersed in 4 urban (QC) and 2 rural (Batangas & Nueva Ecija) communities to provide health care and education to the poor as integral parts of their training.

11. Its global competitiveness. SLCM has a Student Exchange Program which enables deserving senior students to undergoe elective rotations in Austria, Guam, Hawaii, Taiwan, and Thailand and gain clinical experiences and cross-cultural insights.

12. Its various programs.
SLCM exposes its students to alternative modes of healing, provides them with bioethical, managerial and economic perspectives of health care, and empowers them to assume leadership roles to become social mobilizers and agents of change.

There are a lot of good medical schools in the Philippines and, as a fil-am, it is not difficult to get into med school except for the University of the Philippines. It's surviving through medical school. Each year gets harder and harder. It's up to you to set your own goals and aspirations. (whether it's doing well in med school, doing some of your rotations in the US, the MLE's, or doing your residency in the US). I made the most out of my 5 years at St Luke's (1 year internship is required prior to graduation). I became fluent in Tagalog and participated in research and extracurricular activities as well. Graduating from St Luke's has been my ultimate experience to date and I have no regrets studying here. They have a nurturing staff who knows each student by name and has a majority of the amenities of the US. I can't wait to show my program what I can do in July.

If you're interested in studying at St Luke's, you can contact the registrar's office at 011-632-727-7610 or e-mail [email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

St. Luke's is a good school but requires 5 years to graduate. Well, at least you can practice in California.

tantrum said:
St. Luke's is a good school but requires 5 years to graduate. Well, at least you can practice in California.

why is it 5 years? how is it different..? what do you mean by at least you can practice in california, aren't all grads of phil med schools able to practice in Cali one way or another?

Members don't see this ad :)
landa29x said:
why is it 5 years? how is it different..? what do you mean by at least you can practice in california, aren't all grads of phil med schools able to practice in Cali one way or another?
In most Philippine schools, you only need 4 years to graduate. Only the 4th year is clinical so you will lack the clinical rotations necessary to practice in California. They have a 5th year internship required to take the Phil Boards but in St. Luke's it's incorporated in the curriculum so you have to take the 5th year there. Most Fil-Ams try to take the shortest route to a medicine degree and don't go for the 5th year internship.

tantrum said:
In most Philippine schools, you only need 4 years to graduate. Only the 4th year is clinical so you will lack the clinical rotations necessary to practice in California. They have a 5th year internship required to take the Phil Boards but in St. Luke's it's incorporated in the curriculum so you have to take the 5th year there. Most Fil-Ams try to take the shortest route to a medicine degree and don't go for the 5th year internship.

Which other states are as strict about clinical rotations? Can you do your residency in another state and then come back to Ca to practice? And also is it just me or is St Luke's website broke?

How much is the donation for the foreign student and the school fee? Their official website is broken.

gil t azel said:
Which other states are as strict about clinical rotations? Can you do your residency in another state and then come back to Ca to practice? And also is it just me or is St Luke's website broke?

i think pennsylvania has similar requirements, not sure though. but you can always make up the difference in the PI by doing 5 months of the PGI/SI, or contacting the state medical board to find out if you can make up the deficiences in-state (i've heard some people have managed this in CA).

ricksakti said:
How much is the donation for the foreign student and the school fee? Their official website is broken.

I paid $10,000. It was worth every penny!

mykeast said:
I paid $10,000. It was worth every penny!

can i ask what year you graduated? thanks.

landa29x said:
can i ask what year you graduated? thanks.

I graduated May 2004 and took my MLEs in late 2004 2 months apart. I also took the Philippines boards. Since I didn't take my CS until 2005, I missed the 2005 match. Timing is everything!

Hi guys. I will be an incoming freshman at St. Luke's starting this June. Is there anybody else out there applying to St. Luke's this year? If so, do you know of any good apartments near by?

Hi guys! I will be enrolling this June at St. Lukes. Does anybody else go there or is enrolling there this year? If so, do you know of any good apartments to rent?

yourmom said:
Hi guys! I will be enrolling this June at St. Lukes. Does anybody else go there or is enrolling there this year? If so, do you know of any good apartments to rent?
Hello!Everybody here!I am from china!If you have any questions about china!I will be glad to show what you want! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
alen_nick said:
Hello!Everybody here!I am from china!If you have any questions about china!I will be glad to show what you want! :cool:

What?

Hallo,i'm newbie here. i am a doctor from indonesia, i graduated a year ago.I'm interested to take my residency in phillipines. Can anybody help me, because i need information about residency and scholarship there. i heard many of indonesian doctor taking their residency there because it's free of charge and short time of study. Is it true, and what department would accept foreign doctor? i kind of like dermatology. what should i prepare for it? thanks for the attention.

i'm an incoming 1st year Med student in St Lukes from the US. are there alot of foreigners in St LUkes (fil-ams?) I'm kinda hoping so coz i duno wanna feel that homesick...can anyone out there give me an idea about the student community? thanks!

tangerine_girl said:
i'm an incoming 1st year Med student in St Lukes from the US. are there alot of foreigners in St LUkes (fil-ams?) I'm kinda hoping so coz i duno wanna feel that homesick...can anyone out there give me an idea about the student community? thanks!

Hi Tangerine girl! Are you starting St. Luke's this June also? I understand how you feel about being homesick. I just got back from the Philippines 2 days ago and reality set in. It was my first time there and I know it will be a struggle. Anyways, where are you staying? Here is my email address. Write me and we'll plan some things together!

[email protected]
yahoo messenger ID: jenlisondra

yourmom said:
Hi Tangerine girl! Are you starting St. Luke's this June also? I understand how you feel about being homesick. I just got back from the Philippines 2 days ago and reality set in. It was my first time there and I know it will be a struggle. Anyways, where are you staying? Here is my email address. Write me and we'll plan some things together!

[email protected]
yahoo messenger ID: jenlisondra

Hi Tangerine girl and yourmom! I'm also starting St Luke's this June. Hope I can meet you guys there. :D

Contact me or add me up on msn messenger. My address is [email protected]

july80 said:
Hallo,i'm newbie here. i am a doctor from indonesia, i graduated a year ago.I'm interested to take my residency in phillipines. Can anybody help me, because i need information about residency and scholarship there. i heard many of indonesian doctor taking their residency there because it's free of charge and short time of study. Is it true, and what department would accept foreign doctor? i kind of like dermatology. what should i prepare for it? thanks for the attention.

yeah, there are quite a few indonesians here, what do you want to go into? it might be better for you to contact the training programs directly.

jayroo said:
Hi Tangerine girl and yourmom! I'm also starting St Luke's this June. Hope I can meet you guys there. :D

Contact me or add me up on msn messenger. My address is [email protected]

Hi, I'll be starting at St.Lukes this year in June as well. I am so glad for random coincidences! I'm a Fil-Aussie, so does this kinda give you an idea of the student community tangerine_girl? I'm kinda relieved that there'll be english speaking students as well, since my Filo is pretty bad.

Ive looked around for apartments, condo's and townhouses and there are new townhouses (right near the college) that are being built. Though they're being sold outright, and not really for rent. But they look gorgeous. However, there is a condo complex (about 5 min walk from the college) where you can rent a studio apartment for P10 000 a month (but doesn;t include electricity, water etc bills). You can also buy studio apts for approx P2 million.

Does anyone know whether International students AND resident students study together? Coz when I was researching about Med schools in the Phils, international students were seperated from resident ones.

I'd like to get to know my new classmates (I know I'm going to get such a culture shock there), so plz e-mail me at

[email protected]

It would be great to hear from you all

during classes, were you only with other internationl students, or were you also with philippine residents? Because, like FAtima, international and local students were segregated.

mc7hammer said:
during classes, were you only with other internationl students, or were you also with philippine residents? Because, like FAtima, international and local students were segregated.

students aren't segregated at SLMC. as far as i know fatima's the only med school that gives international students the option of being in an all international class.

- I would agree with that. and for student who wants to be in a special international class in fatima must have to pay extra for it, compare to be with the locals. coz in feu, we were divided equally, so one class should have one or two international student.

mykeast said:
Hi everyone! I'm a fil-am who graduated from St. Luke's and will be starting residency in July 2006. For those of you who are interested in studying medicine in the Philippines, here's some information which was published last year in a local paper about my school.

1. Its culture. SLCM is a close-knit community. Unlike big schools with hundreds in a class, our community allows you to know one another in familiar endearing ways. Your identity is preserved and interaction is more personal.

2. Its curriculum. SLCM has a traditional but innovative and integrated curriculum. Big group lectures are supplemented by small group discussions. Anatomy uses real cadavers for dissection, not plastic models for demonstration. Case studies are done starting first year.

3. Its faculty. Our best asset. The faculty undergoes continuous training in medical pedagogy (teacher training in creating instructional designs, test construction, student evaluation, educational research, presentation skills, and many more) and a number of them have advanced academic degrees in health profession education, public health and administration, etc. Our faculty:student ratio of 1:3 and its Student Advisory Program assure closer supervision and guidance of students.

4. Its track record. Only 10 years old, SLCM has an enviable share in the ratings of the Medical Board Examinations with its graduates in the Top 20, and batch average in the Top 10 amonth the 32 medical schoools in the Philippines. (Batch 2004 (my batch) has 6 Top notchers in the August 2004 and Feb 204 Board Exams)

5. Its scholarship offering. SLCM has a generous scholarship program for deserving excelling students. Those with Latin honors and those with high GPA and NMAT scores automatically get full or partial scholarships.

6. Its instructional materials. SLCM has the technological edge when it comes to scientific facilities and instructional materials. Our skills laboratory is the home of "Harvey" and "CardioSim" - two of the many assorted medical eductaional devices for hands-on training of students. The Objective Structured Clinical Examination (SCE) in the 5th year complements the Comprehensive Examinations given after year level.

7. Its facilities. Our lecture, discussion and conference rooms, library and other facilities are all air-conditioned. SLCM has a Prayer Room, a Computer Room with internet connections, a Food Court with various concessionaires, 4-level parking, and a large social hall for varied purposes. Around SLCM are townhouses, condominiums and apartments for rent, and eateries and convenience stores to serve your needs. And, no floods to wade in!

8. Its base hospital. St Luke's Medical Center is a 650-bed tertiary care hospital which is the Philippines' first (and Asia's 2nd) medical institution to be accredited by the prestigious Joint Commision International.

9. Its research. Research is fostered and backed-up financially by the Student Assistance Fund or by Professional Chairs of Research Chairs. Research outputs are published in the Students' Scientific Journal and the St Luke's Journal of Medicine.

10. Its social accountability. SLCM is always mindful of the marginalized sectors of society. In the 4th and 5th years (Clerkship and Internship), its students are immersed in 4 urban (QC) and 2 rural (Batangas & Nueva Ecija) communities to provide health care and education to the poor as integral parts of their training.

11. Its global competitiveness. SLCM has a Student Exchange Program which enables deserving senior students to undergoe elective rotations in Austria, Guam, Hawaii, Taiwan, and Thailand and gain clinical experiences and cross-cultural insights.

SLCM exposes its students to alternative modes of healing, provides them with bioethical, managerial and economic perspectives of health care, and empowers them to assume leadership roles to become social mobilizers and agents of change.

There are a lot of good medical schools in the Philippines and, as a fil-am, it is not difficult to get into med school except for the University of the Philippines. It's surviving through medical school. Each year gets harder and harder. It's up to you to set your own goals and aspirations. (whether it's doing well in med school, doing some of your rotations in the US, the MLE's, or doing your residency in the US). I made the most out of my 5 years at St Luke's (1 year internship is required prior to graduation). I became fluent in Tagalog and participated in research and extracurricular activities as well. Graduating from St Luke's has been my ultimate experience to date and I have no regrets studying here. They have a nurturing staff who knows each student by name and has a majority of the amenities of the US. I can't wait to show my program what I can do in July.

If you're interested in studying at St Luke's, you can contact the registrar's office at 011-632-727-7610 or e-mail [email protected]
Hello mykeast! I am interested in applying to medical schools in the Philippines, specifically to St. Luke's, and was wondering how you went about it. I am also a U.S. citizen and was hoping for any advice that you have in applying.

Hi misseloise!

In response to your question, I took the NMAT the year before I started med school in NYC. A relative of mine picked up a few med school applications for me. MCAT scores can be used in lieu of the med school entrance exam. I visited the St. Luke's and the surrounding area before I started. I highly recommend you do this since you'll be living in the area for the next 5 years! A lot has changed in recent years and has become very "americanized" with all the coffee shops (e.g. Starbucks, Seattle's Best) and fast food stores in the surrounding Quezon City area. Also, I recommend you check out other med schools to see if you really want to study at St. Luke's. It's great training but you have to stay an extra year before you can graduate.

Hope this helps

-by the way, st. lukes is the only school that offers 5 years MD program in the phil. the rest offer 4 years program. so if i were u, i would check out other schools. you might find what you really looking for.

mykeast said:
Hi misseloise!

In response to your question, I took the NMAT the year before I started med school in NYC. A relative of mine picked up a few med school applications for me. MCAT scores can be used in lieu of the med school entrance exam. I visited the St. Luke's and the surrounding area before I started. I highly recommend you do this since you'll be living in the area for the next 5 years! A lot has changed in recent years and has become very "americanized" with all the coffee shops (e.g. Starbucks, Seattle's Best) and fast food stores in the surrounding Quezon City area. Also, I recommend you check out other med schools to see if you really want to study at St. Luke's. It's great training but you have to stay an extra year before you can graduate.

Hope this helps

hnerypaoho said:
-by the way, st. lukes is the only school that offers 5 years MD program in the phil. the rest offer 4 years program. so if i were u, i would check out other schools. you might find what you really looking for.

Actually, there are 2 med schools which offer 5-year MD programs in the Philippines - namely, the University of the Philippines and St. Luke's. Both schools require one year of internship prior to graduation. I personally didn't look at the extra year as a hindrance towards my training. In fact, during the interview season, a few programs offered me prematch positions because I had done one year of internship and was board certified in the Philippines. As I mentioned in my previous response, look at other programs and compare them. Not all programs offer the same training. UST and UERM are certainly both very good 4 year med school programs in Metro Manila. I, however, chose St. Luke's because of the 12 reasons I posted previously.

mykeast said:
Actually, there are 2 med schools which offer 5-year MD programs in the Philippines - namely, the University of the Philippines and St. Luke's. Both schools require one year of internship prior to graduation. I personally didn't look at the extra year as a hindrance towards my training. In fact, during the interview season, a few programs offered me prematch positions because I had done one year of internship and was board certified in the Philippines. As I mentioned in my previous response, look at other programs and compare them. Not all programs offer the same training. UST and UERM are certainly both very good 4 year med school programs in Metro Manila. I, however, chose St. Luke's because of the 12 reasons I posted previously.

-well, having a 5-year MD program isn't that bad at all. but my point is, students can choose hospital for their 5th year in a 4-year program course. I mean it's better than not having the freedom to explore different hospitals. but either way, ypu'll still get the education that you will need. it's all up to the person which road to take.

mykeast said:
Hi misseloise!

Hope this helps

Thanks for answering mykeast! I actually did have a chance to visit St. Luke's as well as DLSU in Cavite two years ago since these are the two schools I am interested in. Are you doing your residency in the Philippines or are you coming back to the U.S.?

misseloise said:
Thanks for answering mykeast! I actually did have a chance to visit St. Luke's as well as DLSU in Cavite two years ago since these are the two schools I am interested in. Are you doing your residency in the Philippines or are you coming back to the U.S.?

I'll be starting IM residency back in the US this July. Can't wait to start!

mykeast said:
I'll be starting IM residency back in the US this July. Can't wait to start!

Hi mykeast! How do they conduct classes in St Luke's? Just need to know..

jayroo said:
Hey Jayroo, you're starting this year at St.Lukes right? I am as well. I've heard that we don't have to wear our uniforms on the 1st wk of school. Have you heard that?

mc7hammer said:
Hey Jayroo, you're starting this year at St.Lukes right? I am as well. I've heard that we don't have to wear our uniforms on the 1st wk of school. Have you heard that?

I think you guys are excused from wearing uniform for the first week. Don't be too excited to wear it on the 1st day... unless you want to stand out. ;)

Study well, especially for the comprehensive exams given every year (dunno if they will still continue it for your batch). Learn from our batch (2006), the "trial batch" :)

jayroo said:

combined small group discussions with lectures. I think the the college's teaching methods / program have improved, this year's incoming clerks are good in theoreticals :) :D

mykeast said:
I graduated May 2004 and took my MLEs in late 2004 2 months apart. I also took the Philippines boards. Since I didn't take my CS until 2005, I missed the 2005 match. Timing is everything!

i'm graduating this may =) how did you apply for the MLE? here in the internet?

Can SLMC accept foreign graduate and foreign national to do residency training in pediatrics? Thanks
mykeast said:

Can UERM also accept foreign trainee to do residency training in pediatrics? Can you pass the email address of contact person to apply for residency training in UERM?
mykeast said:

WaZoBia said:
yeah, there are quite a few indonesians here, what do you want to go into? it might be better for you to contact the training programs directly.

Thanks.
Can anybody help me how to contact the contact person for pediatry or dermatology residency in st.luke? maybe an e-mail address or homepage on st.luke?

jonjonmd said:
I think you guys are excused from wearing uniform for the first week. Don't be too excited to wear it on the 1st day... unless you want to stand out. ;)

Study well, especially for the comprehensive exams given every year (dunno if they will still continue it for your batch). Learn from our batch (2006), the "trial batch" :)
Tnx for that Jonjonmd, do you know why we don't wear uniforms? It's bizarre. Individuals the 1sk wk, then sheep the rest of our school life. Almost like they're taunting us. ;)

What are comprehensive exams? And how are the exams organised? (e.g every month, end of sem?)

Just wondering if there is anything beneficial to bring from the states for the first year at St. Lukes. I previously read that it's a good idea to bring a good anatomy book. Is that true? Any other advice or recommendations for first year students?

yourmom said:
Just wondering if there is anything beneficial to bring from the states for the first year at St. Lukes. I previously read that it's a good idea to bring a good anatomy book. Is that true? Any other advice or recommendations for first year students?

im not from st lukes mind you, but most medical schools have the same curicculum. most of the stuff you need are available in the philippines. Practically all medical books needed for your MD degree is available at your local school.
One thing i've learned about medical books is never to buy those which use very complicated medical terms or whose explanations are difficult to follow(they're usually the kind prescribed by medical schools), instead buy one you can "comfortably" understand the explanations and ideas.

regarding the anatomy book, any good book will do, you also need an atlas.
for textbook the usually recommend Snell, and for the Atlas, Netter.
comments:
snell is a good anatomy book, clear and concise
netter is likewise good but tend to be a bit "cartoony" since the pictures are drawn and colored by hand. its a good atlas but it can be hard to correlate with the actual cadaver since you need to compare a hand drawn picture with a real cadaver. You get the idea im sure.
goodluck

docTJ

yourmom said:

hey..yourmom.. its good that you decided to pursue medicine at st lukes.. wen i was in 1st year we used snell for the lecture part but i think gray is also a good reference.. and make sure you have netter coz it will help you with your laboratory activities.. do u already have a place to stay? i suggest you try inquiring at garden heights condominium in front of holy trinity.. enjoy your med years..

vanMD said:
hey..yourmom.. its good that you decided to pursue medicine at st lukes.. wen i was in 1st year we used snell for the lecture part but i think gray is also a good reference.. and make sure you have netter coz it will help you with your laboratory activities.. do u already have a place to stay? i suggest you try inquiring at garden heights condominium in front of holy trinity.. enjoy your med years..

if you have any other queries just email me..

mc7hammer said:
Tnx for that Jonjonmd, do you know why we don't wear uniforms? It's bizarre. Individuals the 1sk wk, then sheep the rest of our school life. Almost like they're taunting us. ;)

What are comprehensive exams? And how are the exams organised? (e.g every month, end of sem?)

hey mc..they already removed the comprehensive exams given every year..they decided to give this at the end of your med years..after your internship.. and if you do not pass the exam, you will not be able to graduate and you need to take the 5 months crash course.. abt the uniform, i think ur not required to wear it on your first 2 weeks..

vanMD said:
hey mc..they already removed the comprehensive exams given every year..they decided to give this at the end of your med years..after your internship.. and if you do not pass the exam, you will not be able to graduate and you need to take the 5 months crash course.. abt the uniform, i think ur not required to wear it on your first 2 weeks..

How do students generally do on this comprehensive exam? Wow, school could end up being 5 1/2 years! Do the other schools give the end of med school comprehensive exam?

yourmom said:
How do students generally do on this comprehensive exam? Wow, school could end up being 5 1/2 years! Do the other schools give the end of med school comprehensive exam?

yeah..so you gotta study hard for that exam.. other med schools also give comprehensive exam at the end of student's med years and some give it every year.. few years back, compre exams were given every year but they found out that students' grades just get lower and lower every year so they decided to give it once hoping that students would study harder..

vanMD said:
yeah..so you gotta study hard for that exam.. other med schools also give comprehensive exam at the end of student's med years and some give it every year.. few years back, compre exams were given every year but they found out that students' grades just get lower and lower every year so they decided to give it once hoping that students would study harder..
The comprehensive exam almost seems like a mini board exam. With normal exams, does st.Lukes usu do it evey 2 wks? Coz in UERM, I heard that's how often they have exams.How often do they do exams at St.Lukes?

mc7hammer said:
The comprehensive exam almost seems like a mini board exam. With normal exams, does st.Lukes usu do it evey 2 wks? Coz in UERM, I heard that's how often they have exams.How often do they do exams at St.Lukes?

Yeah.. it is just like taking the board exam.. but don't worry about it now.. what you have to worry is how you'll pass the long exams given three times a semester.. but some subjects give long quizzes in between.. actually most of them give quizzes to prepare you for the long exam.. first year is not so difficult as second year.. coz u'l just be reviewing the basic things you took up in pre-med.. that is if you had biology or other science-related course in your premed.. have you guys enrolled already? enjoy your med years at st lukes.. :)

jonjonmd said:
i'm graduating this may =) how did you apply for the MLE? here in the internet?

Sorry for the delay in response jonjonmd. Yep, I applied online at www.ecfmg.org If you wish to make the 2007 match, try to be ECFMG certified as soon as possible (Sept 1 would be ideal) If not, have at least one score before Sept 1 and apply to programs by Sept 1.

Here are a few websites which could provide you with more info about the MLEs. Good Luck!

www.aamc.org
www.usmleforum.com
www.nrmp.org
www.scutwork.com

yourmom said:

Hi yourmom, if there's one book I would buy in the states before I start, it would be First Aid for the USMLE Step 1. Although you won't be taking the exam until at least after your 2nd year, it provides a lot of basic knowledge and tables which are helpful in med school. The book comes out every year so try to get the latest edition. Good Luck!