St. Luke's College of Medicine, Philippines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
mykeast said:
Hi yourmom, if there's one book I would buy in the states before I start, it would be First Aid for the USMLE Step 1. Although you won't be taking the exam until at least after your 2nd year, it provides a lot of basic knowledge and tables which are helpful in med school. The book comes out every year so try to get the latest edition. Good Luck!

actually you can save some space by getting first aid in the philippines. i remember seeing copies at a bookstore in gateway. i think it might be cheaper too.

Members don't see this ad.

jonjonmd said:
combined small group discussions with lectures. I think the the college's teaching methods / program have improved, this year's incoming clerks are good in theoreticals :) :D

I see. UERM and UP-PGH were offering problem-based learning before. Is it the same with St Luke's? I heard that they give comprehensive exams at the end of the third year and fourth year. How extensive are these exams? And also, how would you advice we prepare for it?:D

mc7hammer said:
Hey Jayroo, you're starting this year at St.Lukes right? I am as well. I've heard that we don't have to wear our uniforms on the 1st wk of school. Have you heard that?

Hi mc7hammer!
No, but thanks for the FYI. :D What do we have to bring on our first week?

Members don't see this ad :)
vanMD said:
hey mc..they already removed the comprehensive exams given every year..they decided to give this at the end of your med years..after your internship.. and if you do not pass the exam, you will not be able to graduate and you need to take the 5 months crash course.. abt the uniform, i think ur not required to wear it on your first 2 weeks..

Hi vanMD! I heard the 50 % of the batch this year won't be graduating because of the comprehensive exams. Are they really that hard? If so, how do you suggest we prepare for it? Also, what does the crash course cover (I hope I won't have to take that though.)? :(

jayroo said:
Hi vanMD! I heard the 50 % of the batch this year won't be graduating because of the comprehensive exams. Are they really that hard? If so, how do you suggest we prepare for it? Also, what does the crash course cover (I hope I won't have to take that though.)? :(

Half the class won't be graduating?????????? Wow. Does that practically happen every year? That really puts things into perspective. After the crash course, do most of the students graduate?

jayroo said:
I see. UERM and UP-PGH were offering problem-based learning before. Is it the same with St Luke's? I heard that they give comprehensive exams at the end of the third year and fourth year. How extensive are these exams? And also, how would you advice we prepare for it?:D
I have no idea what to bring for the 1st wk. I just figured we'll rock up on the 1st day (without uniforms of course ;) ) and see where that takes us.

Just for interest, UERM is actually going back to the traditional way of teaching (like St.Lukes) instead of problem based learning. Apparently their students weren't going as well on the board exam. It seems that the traditional way is the best preparation for it.

hi there,
just wanna give props to st. luke's hospital.I was there a few days ago. Its a very nice hospital! I really think thats an asset that St. Lukes can surely boast about and have the right to!
Our Clinical hospital, by the way, i am an incoming 2nd year UST med student, cannot be compared to St. Luke's. Just thought i would give St. Luke's some props!!! :thumbup:

mc7hammer said:
I have no idea what to bring for the 1st wk. I just figured we'll rock up on the 1st day (without uniforms of course ;) ) and see where that takes us.

Just for interest, UERM is actually going back to the traditional way of teaching (like St.Lukes) instead of problem based learning. Apparently their students weren't going as well on the board exam. It seems that the traditional way is the best preparation for it.

I see. That's why my friends were complaining about PBL. Well, hopefully St Luke's will be worth our money. :p See you guys when school starts!

phlipsquad said:
hi there,
just wanna give props to st. luke's hospital.I was there a few days ago. Its a very nice hospital! I really think thats an asset that St. Lukes can surely boast about and have the right to!
Our Clinical hospital, by the way, i am an incoming 2nd year UST med student, cannot be compared to St. Luke's. Just thought i would give St. Luke's some props!!! :thumbup:

I certainly think it's nicer than the UERM clinical hospital. :p No offense. That's probably why the tuition fee is higher too.

I know what you mean. On the outside St.Lukes looks like a hotel. Walking inside, it looks like a hotel. Even has a concierge ;) . But once you get to the lower levels of the building, it starts to look less Hotel-ish and more like UERM hospital.

mykeast said:
Sorry for the delay in response jonjonmd. Yep, I applied online at www.ecfmg.org If you wish to make the 2007 match, try to be ECFMG certified as soon as possible (Sept 1 would be ideal) If not, have at least one score before Sept 1 and apply to programs by Sept 1.

Here are a few websites which could provide you with more info about the MLEs. Good Luck!

www.aamc.org
www.usmleforum.com
www.nrmp.org
www.scutwork.com

thanks! :)

yourmom said:
Half the class won't be graduating?????????? Wow. Does that practically happen every year? That really puts things into perspective. After the crash course, do most of the students graduate?

err.. won't be graduating this may. december maybe, still as batch 2006.
first time it has happened.

mc7hammer said:
Tnx for that Jonjonmd, do you know why we don't wear uniforms? It's bizarre. Individuals the 1sk wk, then sheep the rest of our school life. Almost like they're taunting us. ;)

What are comprehensive exams? And how are the exams organised? (e.g every month, end of sem?)

I think they're giving people more time to get uniforms. And yes, inadvertently taunting you (you will look like "nurses and nursing aides" for the next 4 years! mwahahaha!) the blazer for interns is nice though :)

comprehensive exams, for our batch started at 2nd year for whatever subjects you took up for the 1st year. 3rd year exam: 1st and 2nd year subjects. They scrubbed the yearly exams though, no one took them seriously until the final years.

Members don't see this ad :)
phlipsquad said:
hi there,

1st class service. 1st class rooms. 1st class prices (hehee) 6 pcs of sterile cotton balls cost 50 pesos! :p

.. at least hospital food tastes great. :)

yourmom said:
Just wondering if there is anything beneficial to bring from the states for the first year at St. Lukes. I previously read that it's a good idea to bring a good anatomy book. Is that true? Any other advice or recommendations for first year students?

you should buy a good ophthalmoscope / otoscope abroad. the ones they sell here are old, although a welch-allyn distributor comes by 1-2x a year. And a good "basic" stethoscope. No use for the cardiac or pedia stethoscope until clerkship / internship. A PDA would be useful for quick reviews before exams.

1st year: you need a dissecting set, make sure there is a scalpel holder, 2-3 forceps, "pick-up" tweezers, needle holder, tissue forceps, pointed and blunt sided scissors.

and bring barf-bags on the first few days of cadaver dissection in anatomy. you also need to buy your own gloves and face mask per group.

jayroo said:

I think they will give comprehensive exams for one time only now. one shot, make or break. scope? they will usually give out a "syllabus" or list of topics to be read on, which includes anything and everything about medicine:( :(. study on the topics with the most number of questions. most of the questions are "must know" questions, so you shouldn't have any problems with that.

how to prepare: read! read! read!! .... and P R A Y. no drinking the night before exams ok? hehe

jonjonmd said:
I think they will give comprehensive exams for one time only now. one shot, make or break. scope? they will usually give out a "syllabus" or list of topics to be read on, which includes anything and everything about medicine:( :(. study on the topics with the most number of questions. most of the questions are "must know" questions, so you shouldn't have any problems with that.

how to prepare: read! read! read!! .... and P R A Y. no drinking the night before exams ok? hehe

thanks for all the helpful information, jonjonmd! makes me feel even more nervous about going back to school. :p So the comprehensive exams will be on the fourth year? how much would the medical instruments cost?

jonjonmd said:

Here is one important site in addition to the others posted above...It is the NBME site...they also offer the NBME self assessment exams which are comprehensive and can be fairly accurate at predicting your 3 digit USMLE score...

http://www.nbme.org/

http://www.nbme.org/programs/sas/sas.asp

other sites:

http://medicine.creighton.edu/USMLE/review_questions.htm
http://www.testprepreview.com/usmle_practice.htm
http://www.biotestonline.com/html/home.htm
http://www.doctok.com/

jayroo said:

oh really? i didn't know that.. i have taken the comprehensive exam once..when i was in first year.. the exam's just right, it covers most of the basic things you have to remember in medicine..i think the reason why most student fail is that they don't have enough time to prepare for that exam,.like in our batch, we took the compre exam right after our final exam.. compre exam covers all the things you took up from the beginning of the school year till the end.. or if you're in fifth year, it covers the topics you took up from first year to fifth year..

mc7hammer said:
Hi, I'll be starting at St.Lukes this year in June as well. I am so glad for random coincidences! I'm a Fil-Aussie, so does this kinda give you an idea of the student community tangerine_girl? I'm kinda relieved that there'll be english speaking students as well, since my Filo is pretty bad.

Ive looked around for apartments, condo's and townhouses and there are new townhouses (right near the college) that are being built. Though they're being sold outright, and not really for rent. But they look gorgeous. However, there is a condo complex (about 5 min walk from the college) where you can rent a studio apartment for P10 000 a month (but doesn;t include electricity, water etc bills). You can also buy studio apts for approx P2 million.

Does anyone know whether International students AND resident students study together? Coz when I was researching about Med schools in the Phils, international students were seperated from resident ones.

I'd like to get to know my new classmates (I know I'm going to get such a culture shock there), so plz e-mail me at

[email protected]

It would be great to hear from you all

hi guys! i'm new here. i'll be studying at st. luke's this june, too! i'm a resident of the Philippines and i'd like to welcome you guys! like you, i'm also having some difficulties finding a 'home' near the college. anyway, i'm sure we could all get through this new-school stuffs. i'm just excited to start-out on the 13th. see u guys! if have you any questions bout the Philippines or need some things, i'll surely be glad to help.

jonjonmd said:
you should buy a good ophthalmoscope / otoscope abroad. the ones they sell here are old, although a welch-allyn distributor comes by 1-2x a year. And a good "basic" stethoscope. No use for the cardiac or pedia stethoscope until clerkship / internship. A PDA would be useful for quick reviews before exams.

1st year: you need a dissecting set, make sure there is a scalpel holder, 2-3 forceps, "pick-up" tweezers, needle holder, tissue forceps, pointed and blunt sided scissors.

and bring barf-bags on the first few days of cadaver dissection in anatomy. you also need to buy your own gloves and face mask per group.
Barf bags e? My, how encouraging. Just hope we remember to lift our masks before we do the deed ;)

a_anne08 said:
hi guys! i'm new here. i'll be studying at st. luke's this june, too! i'm a resident of the Philippines and i'd like to welcome you guys! like you, i'm also having some difficulties finding a 'home' near the college. anyway, i'm sure we could all get through this new-school stuffs. i'm just excited to start-out on the 13th. see u guys! if have you any questions bout the Philippines or need some things, i'll surely be glad to help.
Why tnx for d hearty welcome. I might just have to take you up on that offer of yours of help seeing as Phils commuting system is completely convoluted and somewhat freaks the hell out of me :p . Ah yes, finding a 'home'. Have you located anything good yet?

mc7hammer said:
Why tnx for d hearty welcome. I might just have to take you up on that offer of yours of help seeing as Phils commuting system is completely convoluted and somewhat freaks the hell out of me :p . Ah yes, finding a 'home'. Have you located anything good yet?

Wow! :idea: The joy of being in medical school ...hmmmm...St. Luke's-a premiere hospital, the most expensive perhaps...the one dream of every doctor wannabe...creme de la creme...and I bet you are ready to spend sleepless nights memorizing and analyzing all sort of biochemical reactions, dissecting the nitty gritty part of every vein and artery of an unclaimed funeral cadaver....ready to carry on your back all the pressures of getting on top...or at least passing the mark....ahhhh...traffic is horrible...flooded at times...got to go to medical school...so expensive...so difficult...so funny at times...so tearful...you dream that you have the money to spent...to pay for tuition that skyrocketed so fast...and maybe 10 years later when you graduated and all...and resiedency in hospital abound...they would pay you lots of moola....well...wake up dear...things don't work that way...you would need lots of money from your parents to spend more on your residency...and 2-3 years later you realized this job is... a noble profession?....wrong....a hero's job?....maybe....yeah...work for the politician...join the medical mission ..that sort of heroic thing...to satisfy your mayor or congressman...lots of thank you and all...where is the money you asked?...
Jeez... nothing...a medtech works on 8-5 shift and get higher salary than you...bull****...got to go...got to leave...nursing here we go....hhmmmmm. :laugh:

Koji said:
Wow! :idea: The joy of being in medical school ...hmmmm...St. Luke's-a premiere hospital, the most expensive perhaps...the one dream of every doctor wannabe...creme de la creme...and I bet you are ready to spend sleepless nights memorizing and analyzing all sort of biochemical reactions, dissecting the nitty gritty part of every vein and artery of an unclaimed funeral cadaver....ready to carry on your back all the pressures of getting on top...or at least passing the mark....ahhhh...traffic is horrible...flooded at times...got to go to medical school...so expensive...so difficult...so funny at times...so tearful...you dream that you have the money to spent...to pay for tuition that skyrocketed so fast...and maybe 10 years later when you graduated and all...and resiedency in hospital abound...they would pay you lots of moola....well...wake up dear...things don't work that way...you would need lots of money from your parents to spend more on your residency...and 2-3 years later you realized this job is... a noble profession?....wrong....a hero's job?....maybe....yeah...work for the politician...join the medical mission ..that sort of heroic thing...to satisfy your mayor or congressman...lots of thank you and all...where is the money you asked?...
Jeez... nothing...a medtech works on 8-5 shift and get higher salary than you...bull****...got to go...got to leave...nursing here we go....hhmmmmm. :laugh:
ie. Overworked, underpaid and unappreciated. Nothing new there. You've got to have some other revelations. Does that mean you've done med and decided to go into nursing?

Koji said:

Yes, most Filipinos already know that being a doctor in the Philippines sucks if you are just thinking about money. Moreover, most people posting here are Fil-Ams who will practice in the States so they will not suffer the same fate as many doctors in the Philippines.

jayroo said:
thanks for all the helpful information, jonjonmd! makes me feel even more nervous about going back to school. :p So the comprehensive exams will be on the fourth year? how much would the medical instruments cost?

you could by a set at BAMBANG for around 500 (which also has some useless stuff) or buy them separately for a total of 300-400 pesos. you could also buy from mercury drug stores, but that would cost more.

Koji said:

here here!! some nursing aides or "manongs" receive higher salaries than any other staff member in the hospital. tenure I think.

Hi! I'm an incoming med freshie at St. Luke's this June. ;) Seems like I'll be frequenting this thread... :D

Hey where do you buy your med school books in the P'pines?

yourmom said:

-you can get them at national bookstore or goodwill bookstore. but i think there will be some agent from a company will offer their books when school starts. so you don't have to woory about this.

yourmom said:
In UST, they had people selling books within the med building, but yes, you can definitely buy books from national and goodwill. Just some advice!DONT buy your books in the US. They sell all your med books in the Phils for a Fraction of the price! If you really want to buy one book in the US, I suggest you buy the First Aid USMLE book.

hey hnery, its been a long time...havent heard from you! How's FEU? Are you second year now?

phlipsquad said:
In UST, they had people selling books within the med building, but yes, you can definitely buy books from national and goodwill. Just some advice!DONT buy your books in the US. They sell all your med books in the Phils for a Fraction of the price! If you really want to buy one book in the US, I suggest you buy the First Aid USMLE book.

hey hnery, its been a long time...havent heard from you! How's FEU? Are you second year now?

-yup! I'm very thankful that I passed 1st year. man! 1st year was tough! there were a lot of adjustment that i have to make! especially with the shifting exams and case discussions. how bout u? are u back int he states? coz i went home after knowing i passed all the subjects.

tantrum said:
Yes, most Filipinos already know that being a doctor in the Philippines sucks if you are just thinking about money. Moreover, most people posting here are Fil-Ams who will practice in the States so they will not suffer the same fate as many doctors in the Philippines.

hi! newbie here..im an incoming freshman this 13th..pre-med..or so i believe..my mother practically blackmailed me into taking up nursing..something about going abroad and earning money..sheesh..

thing is, i don't wanna be a nurse..i wanna be a cardiologist..in the Philippines..

i think i might be crossing the boundaries of sanity..im scared..confused..and frustrated..

is nursing an "acceptable" pre-med course? or should i be wallowing in misery right now?

(forgive the mellowdrama.. :D ..i tend to be an emotional basketcase..nyahaha.. :laugh: )

chaton said:
hi! newbie here..im an incoming freshman this 13th..pre-med..or so i believe..my mother practically blackmailed me into taking up nursing..something about going abroad and earning money..sheesh..

thing is, i don't wanna be a nurse..i wanna be a cardiologist..in the Philippines..

i think i might be crossing the boundaries of sanity..im scared..confused..and frustrated..

is nursing an "acceptable" pre-med course? or should i be wallowing in misery right now?

(forgive the mellowdrama.. :D ..i tend to be an emotional basketcase..nyahaha.. :laugh: )
There is a reason your parents are advising you to take Nursing as your pre-med. They are just being practical and it's important to have a backup just in case you cannot finish your Medical course. Nursing can be an excellent pre-med as you have to deal with clinical cases earlier in your career. My advise it to get a BSN degree and become an RN (pass the boards), then go to Medical school. If you take that route, you have not wasted any time as you can go to residency after med school (Internal Medicine for 3 years is required prior to Cardiology), then Cardiology fellowship for another 3 years. You cannot lose this way as you have satisfied the wish of your parents and have at least given your best shot at being a cardiologist.

mc7hammer said:

i found one just across the street. i rented a room in an apartment unit. actually, i'm still learning commuting in quezon city. i'm quite new in the place also!

tantrum said:
There is a reason your parents are advising you to take Nursing as your pre-med. They are just being practical and it's important to have a backup just in case you cannot finish your Medical course. Nursing can be an excellent pre-med as you have to deal with clinical cases earlier in your career. My advise it to get a BSN degree and become an RN (pass the boards), then go to Medical school. If you take that route, you have not wasted any time as you can go to residency after med school (Internal Medicine for 3 years is required prior to Cardiology), then Cardiology fellowship for another 3 years. You cannot lose this way as you have satisfied the wish of your parents and have at least given your best shot at being a cardiologist.

you sound like my mom..ahihihi... :laugh: that's exactly what she said.. :laugh: well, that's the plan..unless of course i get pregnant or get married along the way..ahihihi.. :laugh:

hnerypaoho said:
-yup! I'm very thankful that I passed 1st year. man! 1st year was tough! there were a lot of adjustment that i have to make! especially with the shifting exams and case discussions. how bout u? are u back int he states? coz i went home after knowing i passed all the subjects.
yes im second year now too. Thank God! What a year huh? Whew! I am in ny right now and we are starting classes in ust on the 6th. TOO SOON!Enjoy the rest of your summer!

phlipsquad said:
yes im second year now too. Thank God! What a year huh? Whew! I am in ny right now and we are starting classes in ust on the 6th. TOO SOON!Enjoy the rest of your summer!

-yeah! God was really kind and merciful. but we're just getting started! there's a lot of reading that is enstore for us in the 2nd and 3rd year. so i bet we're going to do a lot of prayung again. but anywways, enjoy your summer! we deserve the break!

tantrum said:

:D Great advice...I would have jump on to it 10 years ago. But nonetheless I admire all the people on this thread and their determination plus the fact that they all have the support system they need when they embark on going to med school.

yourmom said:
hey yourmom, dont worry about the books..some med students sell med books at a cheaper price than bookstores.. and to those who doesn't have a place to stay, you can try inquiring at gaRDEN HEIGHTS just across holy trinity..

Hi, nice to hear about St Luke's Medical Center in Philippines. I want to know the updated info from Philippines. Please inform me about the availabilities for foreign doctor, particularly from Indonesia, to be train and take exam set by Philippines Pediatrics Society, Inc. Hope you can also reply directly to my mail in [email protected]. This is needed before I decide to go to Philippines.Thanks for all

Does anyone know whether there's an orientation day for freshman? Or is the first day of school the orientation?

mc7hammer said:
Does anyone know whether there's an orientation day for freshman? Or is the first day of school the orientation?
mc7hammer said:
yeah...u'll only have orientation on the first week of classes.. but there are some toxic profs which give lecture even on the first week..

Hi! I'm selling first to third year med books at 12.5% off to St. Luke's students. If you want to see the book and price list, you can send me a private message with your e-mail and I can e-mail the list to you. A friend is also selling really good xeroxed copies of William's obstetrics, Novak's gynecology, Adam's neurology and Schwartz's surgery for P1500. These books have a colored cover and are hardbound. They are also already wrapped in a plastic cover. It will take about 1-2 weeks however to get your ordered copies for these books.

You can get your orders in every Wednesday, then your books will be ready for pick up at St. Luke's by Friday.

If you're Fil-Am and deciding where's the best place to buy books, in America or here in the Philippines, I think it's better to buy books here because it's definitely a lot cheaper. Almost 50% less.

chaton said:

I know a friend who had nursing as his premed. after board exams he didn't go into medical practice, but... nursing! :)

vanMD said:
mc7hammer said:
mc7hammer said:
yeah...u'll only have orientation on the first week of classes.. but there are some toxic profs which give lecture even on the first week..

van! kilala kita a. hehehe. lecture first week? remember biochem? hehe

jonjonmd said:
vanMD said:
mc7hammer said:

van! kilala kita a. hehehe. lecture first week? remember biochem? hehe

naku.. bka ndi po..im an incoming 3rd year student lang po.. :) pero ganun din during our time nag-lect din ang biochem..hehe.. :laugh:

hi guys!

what exactly happens on th first day? i was told to come at 7am. i thought that would be a little too early. and, how many students would there be for each section?

hnerypaoho said:
-yeah! God was really kind and merciful. but we're just getting started! there's a lot of reading that is enstore for us in the 2nd and 3rd year. so i bet we're going to do a lot of prayung again. but anywways, enjoy your summer! we deserve the break!

hi! about how many pages in average do you read each night? does the knowledge in gen chem really impt in medschool? how impt?

a_anne08 said:
hi guys!

what exactly happens on th first day? i was told to come at 7am. i thought that would be a little too early. and, how many students would there be for each section?

i don't know for your batch.. but in our batch, there are 34 students for each section.. during our time we only had orientation on the first day.. see yah on the 13th.. :)