St Luke's-Roosevelt NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kevin31

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Can somene give me some info one St Luke's NYC. How are their academics and fellowship placements. Would one get lost in such a big program? Are they interested in their resident welfare and fellowship placement. What percentage of their grads are FMG's?

How does it compare to U Conn. Life in Hartford is ceratinly not comparable to NYC, but how do the programs compare.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i've heard st lukes in nyc sucks from several ppl (very malignant from what i hear). i didn't even bother interviewing there. i think if you are comparing the two schools, u conn is definitely the better program but st lukes has the better location. there's lots of other programs in nyc that are pretty good, so choose a difft program if you want to live there...

Thanks, Can you be a bit more specific though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd appreciate some more info on St. Luke's too. I'm debating whether to cancel my interview or not (travel is getting expensive) and I really need some info on how good the program is.
Thanks

sorry, i can't be that specific because i haven't visited there. my program director told me that it was a crappy program where you would be overworked, do lots of scut (draw a lot of your labs, transport pts, etc), and not learn much. as a result, no one from my school really applies there. but that's as much as i know, sorry. it might have changed recently. dunno.

as far as the non-academic places are concerned in nyc, i would rank st. vincent';s the best of the bunch. beth israel and lenox hill in nyc are ok too. i would rate all of those over st. lukes'. sorry, that's as much as i know...

Thanks for the reply.

Can you give me any feedback on the U Conn program. I am an IMG with good credentials and was thinking of that as a University based option. Why dont a lot of American grads go there?? They seem to have a lot of fellowships and I've spoken to residents there who say that they do consider their own favorably. Hartford is not the greatest place to live, but I would like my training and career options to supercede that consideration.

I interviewed at St. Luke's; it seems as though the program had lots of problems in the past, but the new PD is changing a lot of things over there (much has changed already). Work hours, call schedule, response to resident feedback, and board pass rates have all improved since the new PD took over. He seems to be a very nice guy, and the residents all say he is genuine. The program does seem to have a lot of FMG's, and the feedback from the residents was a bit varied from resident to resident. Some felt that it was a good program, but had a fair amount of scut...one actually saying that nurses there can "torture" you. Others mostly commented on the benefits of living in NYC. None of them really raved about it; most just compared it to other city programs, saying you won't work as hard and again selling the NYC aspect. I have received some feedback from attendings at my school who told me to avoid it if possible. I don't know if this is due to their past and now things have changed, or if it is the same.
UConn is a very good program with lots of excellent teaching. The major barrier to UConn is location. If you are from CT originally, then I think you'll love it, however if you are from another state, especially a big city, you may not like it. Hartford is not a great city (I'm being kind), and though the surrounding suburbs are beautiful, they are pretty boring. Excellent for married people, or those with kids though.

Thanks for the reply.

I have heard that St Luke's is not too good giving fellowships to its own residents.

Does anyone know the FMG/AMG mix approx at Hartford.

Originally posted by kevin31
Thanks for the reply.

I have heard that St Luke's is not too good giving fellowships to its own residents.

Does anyone know the FMG/AMG mix approx at Hartford.

One of the posts on scutwork.com mentioned that the US grad/FMG mix was approx. 50:50 there.

Which UConn program? Primary care or categorical? The UConn primary care program is heavily FMG; there are a lot of caribbean grads there as well as those from non-American schools. However, I can tell you from first hand experience that it is a great program. The teaching is excellent. Some of the best I've seen. I know less about the categorical program, though it has less FMG's.

I think the categorical, the one based in Hartford hosp and St Francis. The primary care is in New Britain I think.

I wrote this in a different thread, andI'm too lazy to write it again. I still think it holds true.

Having grown up in CT, in one of the suburbs of Hartford I can tell you it is true. The suburbs are amazing, (excellent restaurants) Hartford not so much. Cost of living is about average, but the UConn salary is good, much better than I get now and I live in Chicago.

It is also true that it is tough for a single person in CT, but there are things to do. The people of the state do marry and procreate.

The Categorical UConn program is an excellent teaching program. I went to UConn for Med school, and thoroughly enjoyed all my rotations.
The attendings in every field were well trained and are VERY interested in teaching. The patient diversity and acuity is outstanding. The autonomy of the residents is also fantastic. Autonomy is very important to a well-rounded education/residency.
The program has three hospitals to rotate through which adds to the clinical experience. (Hartford Hospital, St. Francis and John Dempsey (aka Univ of CT Health Center)
The residents do in fact get good fellowships in good places.
UConn I feel is underrated by many.
The reason only a very few UConn students stay at UConn for medicine is that 1. Hartford is a place where no one wants to spend 7 years there, 2. Most students are in state and want to live elsewhere for part of their life and 3. they are well trained and many go to other prestigious medicine programs.
If I didn't want a combined EM/IM program, I would have highly considered staying at UConn.

The primary care program is based at New Britain General Hospital. It is also a good program with a great ICU experience. I don't know much else about it.